What Rye Are You Drinking? Summer 2017

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tonight I drink one of my favorite ryes, especially for the price.

High West Double Rye

f9ac6d1b5e024ead0df5dfa054dc39e9.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Tonight I drink one of my favorite ryes, especially for the price.
High West Double Rye
f9ac6d1b5e024ead0df5dfa054dc39e9.jpg

You know, don't drink that enough but every time I do it never disappoints. That may be my favorite regular HW product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wednesday is rye day at Casa de PG and today, I cracked open a 1L of WTR101, an excellent whiskey at a fair price.

I had another pour right down of the good ol' High West Double Rye.

Maybe I finally had a good palate night or maybe it needed some time to open up, but I finally get the positive reviews of Pikesville.  Enjoying the quality and depth of the rye character.  Will look for another bottle as a backup.  Is there much variation from batch to batch?

Edited by El Vino

Opened this from out of the bunker just because it's a touch coolish/Fallish outside.  Spice, spice, and more spice, with 101 proof to deliver the point that this is a big rye, just in case you missed it at first.  

IMG_3919.JPG

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Opened this from out of the bunker just because it's a touch coolish/Fallish outside.  Spice, spice, and more spice, with 101 proof to deliver the point that this is a big rye, just in case you missed it at first.  

IMG_3919.JPG

Gosh.  That looks tasty.

My mouth is watering.

Working on some batch 10 HW Yippee Ki-Yay tonight.  Enjoying this batch quite a bit more than previous (last years) batches.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:36 PM, smokinjoe said:

IMG_3919.JPG

Yup, that is a good one. I always have one handy.

Regards, Jim

Cracked this guy tonight, the price was tough to swallow, but the whiskey is not. Really punches above it's age statement, not sure if that justifies the price for me but I was happy to buy it if only to motivate the guy at my favorite store to keep getting new stuff in.

IMG_20170903_200623933.jpg

^^^^Even when it's a bit young, MGP rye rarely disappoints.  Thankfully, the finishing seems well done, in a way that helps sweeten and smoothen.  I think they added some nice complexity here, without totally overpowering the base components.  Yes, it's a bit overpriced, but what isn't these days.

And the bottle sure is pretty! 

Agreed, sherry finishing seems to do wonders with young spirit, the Scotch Whisky industry certainly has that figured out, but this isn't as richly sherried as most of those to my taste buds. Regardless, an enjoyable pour and clearly some really nice packaging!

Not American Rye, but North American, poured some Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye and it was feeling kind of anemic so I poured in some Crown Royal TWCP Hand Selected Barrel and the results are pretty fantastic. The HSB is a bit heavy on the cherry cough medicine note but they round each other out really well. The Northern Harvest is down to the last 1/4 of the bottle so I think I'm just going to blend it.

Kevin, that's a great suggestion, thanks. I bought a case of the HSB before anyone knew they were going to one up themselves with NH, which I then also bought a case of. I prefer the NH, but I can see how HSB might goose it to become greater than the sum of the parts. I'll keep this in mind and do some blending experiments in the coming year.

What was your preferred ratio?

Edited by The Black Tot

7 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Kevin, that's a great suggestion, thanks. I bought a case of the HSB before anyone knew they were going to one up themselves with NH, which I then also bought a case of. I prefer the NH, but I can see how HSB might goose it to become greater than the sum of the parts. I'll keep this in mind and do some blending experiments in the coming year.

What was your preferred ratio?

The first pour I did was about 60 (NHR) 40 (HSB) and I upped it from there, the mingling in the bottle right now is about 50/50.

Just opened a Willett 2yr at 53.85%, stashed & forgotten in my liquor cabinet. It is not as good as I remember it from bar pours, let's see how it opens up.

This has a very distinct taste & finish I've never experienced in a whiskey though: mastic gum.

On 8/27/2017 at 8:29 PM, Paddy said:

^^^^I find it to be very consistent.

This, right here, is the truth.

Came home from work and couldn't figure out what a wanted to have so kinda off topic I had a pour of Forty Creek Copper Pot Still, which got me to pour a bit of my Crown Royal NHR and HSB blend, really better to me than the sum of it's parts.

On 9/9/2017 at 5:01 PM, Kane said:

Just opened a Willett 2yr at 53.85%, stashed & forgotten in my liquor cabinet. It is not as good as I remember it from bar pours, let's see how it opens up.

This has a very distinct taste & finish I've never experienced in a whiskey though: mastic gum.

After only 2 days of oxidation, this bottle is back to its former glory. The weird smell & finish is gone. Enjoying a healthy pour tonight.

11 minutes ago, Kane said:

After only 2 days of oxidation, this bottle is back to its former glory. The weird smell & finish is gone. Enjoying a healthy pour tonight.

2 more days could make it go cray-cray, though.  Then, there there are the 2 days after that...then another 2 days, and another...

1 minute ago, smokinjoe said:

2 more days could make it go cray-cray, though.  Then, there there are the 2 days after that...then another 2 days, and another...

Damn... Well, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, drinking it all tonight then.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.