What Rye Are You Drinking? Summer 2017

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Followed up the Canadian's I had with the Minor Case Rye which was tasty and followed that with Hochstadter's Vatted SRW, damn this is some good stuff, had not had a pour in a while.  Probably gonna finish up with Masterson's or Jefferson's 10 yr, maybe a small pour of both SBS. All in all not a bad night for mostly Canadian, mostly rye whiskey.

Having some RRSiB. Half way through my first bottle of this and I'm already pretty sure I'll need a replacement relatively soon. 

Local distillery released their first batch of 5 year rye today.

126.2 proof.

All I can say is wow.  Truely reminds me of THH & some of the better mgp ryes (minus the dill), just slightly less complex.

Nice rye spice, medium burn, full flavored.  Dangerously delicious! 

IMAG2358_1.jpg

16 hours ago, 0895 said:

Local distillery released their first batch of 5 year rye today.

126.2 proof.

All I can say is wow.  Truely reminds me of THH & some of the better mgp ryes (minus the dill), just slightly less complex.

Nice rye spice, medium burn, full flavored.  Dangerously delicious! 

IMAG2358_1.jpg

Sounds great, wouldn't mind some of that!!

Knob Creek rye tonight... It's growing on me.

Having some RRSiB. Half way through my first bottle of this and I'm already pretty sure I'll need a replacement relatively soon. 

This is in my short to buy list.

Just cracked this Store Pick Double Rye aged an additional 2.5 years in a bourbon barrel and bottled at 52.4%, it is stellar, need to pick up a few more of these. Will have to SBS this with RR later in the week.

IMG_20170917_213119217.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped in the way home for a lemon and opened a fresh Baby Saz tonight for some Sazeracs. Two oz of rye, 3-4 dashes Peychaud's, 1 dash Angostura, sugar cube, lemon twist, and Herbsaint. I was gonna use the Willett or Ritt I had open but was feeling more traditional.

I have been enjoying the Crown Royal rye and Sazerac in Sazeracs. I tasted a fabulous rye at New England Distilleries in Portland, ME. It is called Gunpowder Rye and is made Maryland style. It is outstanding and one to keep an eye out for. 

Having a pour of the Minor Case Rye, not coming off as sherried on subsequent pours, it definitely tastes substantially older than it's age statement. Also kind of wondering if the lack of sherry I'm getting is just the result of drinking some older Macallan 12, GlenDronach Allardice and Deanston PX lately with a buddy. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.