Old 101 12 year

acorreale
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wondering if anybody on here (someone on here probably has to) knows anything about this particular brand.  I believe this particular bottle pictured was bottled in the 1990's.  It's clearly a Heaven Hill bottling.  That "distilled and bottled in Kentucky" neck tag is a dead ringer for the JTS Brown neck.  And the 12 year old sticker is reminiscent of the sticker on the now discontinued Old Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond (the gold label).  This is not a super easy bottle to look up on an internet search engine considering how generic the name is.  Any help would be much appreciated.  I don't really care about monetary value; I'm more curious about the history of the label and the story behind it.  Thanks.

unnamed.png

Also, I apologize if I should have posted this in collectables. If this post needs to be deleted or moved, please, let me know.

Based on the labeling, I think you're correct about it being bottled in the 1990s. 

I've got a book from 1989 that lists most bourbons on the market in Japan at that time. This one is included, but the description doesn't give any brand history, it just explains what 101 proof means. Based on the 101 proof, I would guess this was created to be a competitor to Wild Turkey. 

To give you an idea of where this bottle stood in the HH line-up, it was priced above Evan Williams 8y and Old Heaven Hill 10y, but below Evan Williams 12y, EC12 and Yellow Rose of Texas 12y.  It was the same price as JTS Brown 10y. 

Interesting.  The above bottle pictured, was definitely a Japanese export bottle. I don't have a picture of the back handy, but the export sticker is on it.  I figured it was maybe analogous to the EW 12yr which is also bottled at 101 proof.  It is interesting that it was priced a little lower that the EW 12 though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.