Myrtle Beach

JoeTerp
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I'm heading down to Myrtle Beach 6 days from now and was wondering if there were any good stores in the area or on the way (I'm driving down from Northern VA).  I know that most of the drive is VA and NC which are both state controlled by the ABC's.  I went a few years ago and checked out a few stores in the Myrtle Beach are and don't remember anything too interesting (and the prices seemed a little high).  I'd appreciate any advice about store in Myrtle or along the way.  This includes any info about NC ABC's if they'd have anything interesting that I can't get in VA.  I'm probably most interested in store picks.

Thanks

Not sure about Myrtle Beach, but store picks in NC are rare. They do have some interesting things in NC that can't be found in VA, like Barrell Bourbon batches. You can also much more easily find Virgin 7yr 101 proof bourbon in NC, but it is available in VA sometimes too.

Good luck hunting!

I've seen some people post store picks from Green's.

It warms a place in my heart. When I was a kid the annual family vacation was to drive down to Myrtle Beach in early May.

I remember we always went into Green's on the first day, and after fun-filled family days, my dad ended his evenings with a cigar and a drink watching the sea.

I haven't been back to Myrtle since I started drinking, but when I do I intend to follow in his footsteps.

Having said the above, I think I've also heard that in the modern day they may have become price gougers :)

9 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

So I'm heading down to Myrtle Beach 6 days from now and was wondering if there were any good stores in the area or on the way (I'm driving down from Northern VA). 

I did a search and came up with this;

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Liquor+Store&find_loc=Myrtle+Beach%2C+SC

Edit - I see the first store listed is the one that The Black Tot mentioned in the post above - Greens.

Edited by DCFan

I have a home on the SC/NC border, Its about 20 min to myrtle beach. I have lived there for 10 years, before returning to Boston. My experience over the 4th of July this year, while looking for a decent bourbon was there was not much to be had. Some places had some ok stuff but I was told that bourbon was flying off the shelf. I found after searching many places a store in North Myrtle Beach that had 1 bottle of Blantons that I paid close to 100.00 for. Prices are always higher everywhere during the summer months. I also shopped in NC and stopped in many stores and found the same situation. 

23 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I've seen some people post store picks from Green's.

It warms a place in my heart. When I was a kid the annual family vacation was to drive down to Myrtle Beach in early May.

I remember we always went into Green's on the first day, and after fun-filled family days, my dad ended his evenings with a cigar and a drink watching the sea.

I haven't been back to Myrtle since I started drinking, but when I do I intend to follow in his footsteps.

Having said the above, I think I've also heard that in the modern day they may have become price gougers :)

Thanks.  I'll try to give them a try.  Worst case is that they don't have anything interesting.

12 hours ago, Dango said:

I have a home on the SC/NC border, Its about 20 min to myrtle beach. I have lived there for 10 years, before returning to Boston. My experience over the 4th of July this year, while looking for a decent bourbon was there was not much to be had. Some places had some ok stuff but I was told that bourbon was flying off the shelf. I found after searching many places a store in North Myrtle Beach that had 1 bottle of Blantons that I paid close to 100.00 for. Prices are always higher everywhere during the summer months. I also shopped in NC and stopped in many stores and found the same situation. 

Well that doesn't seem to be very promising.  Thanks for the heads up.

9 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Well that doesn't seem to be very promising.  Thanks for the heads up.

The 4th is a very busy time down there. One guy I talked to said it was a banner 4th for alcohol sales this year. I did not personally go to any stores in Myrtle beach, but I did call to ask about certain bourbons that they may have. (ER, Weller, Blantons) So I may not be all that bad. Id be interested to know what you find. I will be spending more time down there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.