Barrel Rye

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I like all of the Barrell Bourbon's I've had and wish I would have grabbed the Rum when it was available, this one I'm having a hard time reconciling the price on, $80 for a 4.5 year old rye seems steep even understanding that there aren't really comparable products on the market considering this has some unknown percentage of TN rye (Dickel? I thought they sourced from MGP). I can buy Redemption 7 yr BP for $10 less, age isn't everything and Barrell hasn't let me down yet but I would sure like to try this one first.

Maybe JD had some rye to spare. From what I've seen it doesn't seem like it's selling quickly.

I've only seen 1 bottle so far at a lesser trafficked store in NYC, on the plus side if it ends up getting stellar reviews I might still be able to grab it.  I have this in the same bucket as the Minor Case Rye (which has been reviewed well) intriguing but seemingly poor value.

Liked the tropically aged Jamaican rum by these guys @70 bucks. But for 80 bucks a rye gotsta have 10yrs+ on it to get into my basket.

I haven't bitten on their bourbons either, but I respect them who have lauded 'em here.

I talked to the brand ambassador at the local distributor's show this week and he was trying to convince me Dickel has some secret rye they haven't released for 4.5 years (the bottle says both Indiana and Tennessee are the source). Nice enough guy but I don't know, sounds a bit improbable. I too thought maybe JD was selling some (very quietly) on the side since their rye doesn't seem to be exactly flying off the shelf.

As for the bottle itself I tried it at the show (ok but I wasn't overwhelmed). Indeed I wasn't just blown away by the bourbon batch 11 or the single barrel bourbon they had on offer either (tasted like the older Dickel releases from a few years ago to me). The batch 4 whiskey was the best of the bunch to me. An 11yo blend of an undefined "something" from MGP and a Tennessee source which I presume to be Dickel that had some rum and rye barrel finishing influence as well. But like Paul I don't see it ending up in my little collection so far.

I did buy the funky cask strength rum rumored to be from Hampden though. So I have done my part! :D

• 2 months later...

I'm bumping this thread in hopes that someone here will review it (obviously, that's our duty here isn't it?:lol:). 

Obviously, I've still not tried it or I would.  Hell, I haven't even seen it (not that I've really been looking for it).  Did I miss it in another thread?

Bueller?!?

34 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I'm bumping this thread in hopes that someone here will review it (obviously, that's our duty here isn't it?:lol:). 

Obviously, I've still not tried it or I would.  Hell, I haven't even seen it (not that I've really been looking for it).  Did I miss it in another thread?

Bueller?!?

I think I saw one within the last two weeks if only because my mind said, "HUH??  Barrel Rye?  WT . . .??"  If it's still there after T-giving, I may ask the deli manager where I saw it if he's tasted it OR if he'd like ME to taste it and give him my opinion.:lol:

• I like it 1

Yeah I find it hard to justify $80 or so for 4.5 year old MGP and something else rye. That's about what WhistlePig 10 store picks go for.

I bought a bottle of the Rum a while back, it was pretty good but not really worth $70. I'm not a rum expert but it seemed to have a similar flavor profile to Appleton Estate, but at about 135 proof or so.

I had one of the Bourbon batches (008b?) which was clearly barrel proof Dickle, that I didn't care for at all. So yeah, I won't be buying another Barrell anything unless I can try it first.

Edited by EarthQuake

1 hour ago, EarthQuake said:

Yeah I find it hard to justify $80 or so for 4.5 year old MGP and something else rye. That's about what WhistlePig 10 store picks go for.

I bought a bottle of the Rum a while back, it was pretty good but not really worth $70. I'm not a rum expert but it seemed to have a similar flavor profile to Appleton Estate, but at about 135 proof or so.

I had one of the Bourbon batches (008b?) which was clearly barrel proof Dickle, that I didn't care for at all. So yeah, I won't be buying another Barrell anything unless I can try it first.

I have consistently loved all of the Barrell stuff I have bought, however I'm with you on this one the price is pretty crazy.  If I want to get 4-5 year old cask strength MGP I'll by the Sagamore Spirit Cask Strength, for the price of this I can buy 7 year Redemption CS and still have 10 bucks. Would like to try it still but doubt I will. 

I’ve passed on this because of the price too. The fact that it’s one of MGP’s new rye mashbills seems intriguing but not once it’s mixed with mystery Tennessee rye. 

The second release seems... interesting. It’s a mix of MGP with Polish rye. 

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=17283001000148

20 minutes ago, Spade said:

I’ve passed on this because of the price too. The fact that it’s one of MGP’s new rye mashbills seems intriguing but not once it’s mixed with mystery Tennessee rye. 

The second release seems... interesting. It’s a mix of MGP with Polish rye. 

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=17283001000148

Having not had the Kozuba rye which this one most certainly contains, this one is pretty intriguing to me but again not something it will be easy to pick up without tasting first.

18 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

The strong "word on the street" is that it is from Hampden, a smaller Jamaican distillery that is known for its super funky, estery rums. I have had the "Rum Fire" mentioned in the blog and it is also deliberately very funky but is unaged. It is sold as an overproof intended to help funk up a rum cocktail. The Barrel rum may well be the same stuff but aged. For me it needs a good bit of water to be truly enjoyable.

As for the price it is indeed rather spendy but it was an interesting one time experiment. I likely wouldn't buy more.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.