Bourbons found in Canada

gurgalunas
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm heading north for a couple weeks of waterfowling this fall, and wondered what I could expect to find in the LS north of the border.  I'll be taking a bottle across with me, but want to make a stop to buy a backup or 2.  Any guess what may be on the shelves?

Also wondering if Canada is on the distribution list for some of the international releases, like (but not limited to) Blanton's SFTB.  

Anybody recall what they have generally seen?

What province? Alberta is privatized, not sure if any others are. You might have some hope there.

Otherwise, imagine the lowest expectations you can think of, then do some stretches, and limbo dance under those.

You'll also not enjoy the pricing :)

Forty Creek Confederation Oak, bourbon (or any other whiskey/whisky) selection maybe pretty thin.

Blanton's SFTB is not in Canada, at least not anywhere I've seen. Bourbon selection isn't great in LCBO stores. I would recommend using it as an opportunity to expand your horizons and grab some Canadian Whiskies you haven't tried or are hard to find like Centennial, Alberta Premium, or a Wiser's special release.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

What province? Alberta is privatized, not sure if any others are. You might have some hope there.

Otherwise, imagine the lowest expectations you can think of, then do some stretches, and limbo dance under those.

You'll also not enjoy the pricing :)

What he said about price! In another post I mentioned that when we ran out of bourbon in Canada I found some plain old Evan Williams Black for $30.80. Even adjusting for the highly favorable exchange rate, that seems rather much for $13 bourbon.

Thanks for the responses.  I didn't have high expectations, just figured I'd see what others knew.  I've got a stock of Alberta Distillers Dark Horse already (Canadian version of Dark Batch).  

I'm not too worried about the price, which I know will be ridiculous, but more having something available.  Guess I'll just not pass a buying opportunity if they will be few and far between...

They allow just over 1 L to be taken across the border.  I've got a few 1L bottles in the bunker,  just gotta figure out which to take.  Probably OWA.  

The duty free stores used to have WT 8 101. Not sure if the still do or not. If they do, it's worth picking up a bottle or two.

Cheers! Joe

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

The duty free stores used to have WT 8 101. Not sure if the still do or not. If they do, it's worth picking up a bottle or two.

Cheers! Joe

Good to know.  Latest thought is for one of the group to bring an extra bottle for me.  With them being beer drinkers, I'll have an easier time finding/buying them a case of beer than me good bourbon...

I would not buy bourbon in Canada. I would buy our best whiskeys which equal it in quality. These are Lot 40, the green label Canadian Club (100% single rye grain, basically a straight whiskey), Wiser's Dissertation.

Gary

6 hours ago, Gillman said:

I would not buy bourbon in Canada. I would buy our best whiskeys which equal it in quality. These are Lot 40, the green label Canadian Club (100% single rye grain, basically a straight whiskey), Wiser's Dissertation.

Gary

I've got a bottle of Lot 40 bought locally.   Are there different releases I should look for?

The Wiser Dissertation looks interesting.  Sounds pretty limited, but I'll buy if I find it.

I would definitely look for them. Lot 40 exported would be the same as here (a barrel proof is planned but not out yet), but I'd get the two others I mentioned for sure if you see them. They both have a straight character and are quite different to Lot 40.  I guess also Crown Royal Northern Harvest if you haven't had it, although it's not as good as these others IMO, but it is mostly a straight product. There are many high class blends but personally I'd look for the ones I mentioned. 

Just a suggestion...

Gary

I don't know about the rest of Canada, but Calgary was a bourbon wasteland when I was there a few years ago.  Think 4/5  star hotel bar and literally all they had was Jack Daniels #7, Woodford, and Bulleitt.  Lame.  I agree with the advice above, you might as well give up and drink Canadian.  Or hope you like Scotch, plenty of that around up there.

BC actually tends to have a decent selection. Not stellar, but there's usually something I like.

• 1 month later...

Stopped at a couple of LS in very rural Saskatchewan.  Not much here.  Bourbons are limited to JD, JB white and one bottle of KC.

Looking for good Canadian Whisky now.  I did grab a JP Wiser One Fifty for $55 Canadian.  

Keeping my eyes open for some of the other/better Wiser options, may have to look on the way home, not a lot of opportunity here...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.