Launch at Walsh Whiskey Royal Oak,

charleymcguffin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone who has lifted a glass of Writers tears or the Irishman series on whiskeys might be interested in the launch yesterday of two new special editions of the Irishman ..

The launch was at the Walsh distillery at Royal Oak near Bagnalstown Co Carlow. The distillery is sited in a beautiful countryside setting, on the grounds of the 18th century Hollodon house estate. The house being part of the ongoing development of the distillery. It is partially restored from a former ruin and will be finished by Sept but of what year is open to question as at the moment the whiskey has priority.

The launch was for the members of the Irish Whiskey Society and the motley crew arrived by bus which they evacuated in haste like hounds on the scent. Bernard Walsh and his team were on hand with arrival cocktails or tea and coffee as required . Before the launch we had a tour of the distillery . The first visit I had made there was during a down time ,so it was nice to see the spirit in full flow. Walsh's make the full range of Irish whiskeys, Pure Pot Still, Malt and Grain so they have three beautiful long neck pots and two Column stills. The ponds out in front of the  distillery are in fact part of the cooling system ,so what appears to be a fountain is actually functional. 

Back to the reason for the visit... the launch of two very special limited editions of the Irishman " Founders Reserve" and the Irishman "12 year old Single Malt".  The Founders Reserve is a blend of 70 o/o Malt and 30 o/o pure pot still . The new special edition has had the ABV upped to 46 o/o and has been finished in Cantine FLORIO Marsala casks for 14 months. There was a total of 9 casks and the total run is in the region of  2000 bottles.  The 12 year old single malt is finished in the same cask type and is cask strength 56o/o ,limited to 320 bottles .. only available at the distillery. From the empty shelves and the number of bags that left with the IWS members,I would safely say that the stock has been seriously reduced. What can I say about the releases, on first look the colour is amazing rich and lucious, holding the bottles up to the light made one thing of stained glass.  Beautiful inviting rich fruit nose that makes you want to dive in immediately. What a taste bomb, absolutely delicious ... for both expressions. My personal favourite being the Founders Reserve the little pure pot still component adding that little extra spice to the spirit..

Now for the bad news.... the 12 YR Malt s only available at the distillery and at the rate they were moving with the IWS members ,won't be there for long. The Founders Reserve is having a limited  release in Europe ,France and Germany I think again as soon as they hit the shelves ,I predict they will disappear.

I apologize if I bring the good news and then pull the rug , but I would seriously suggest anyone on a Euro visit to try and get their hands on these beauties.  

Slainte,

Charlie

http://walshwhiskey.com/

IMG_0202 (1024x683).jpg

Looks lovely! Will probably never get to try one of the Marsala casks but it sounds interesting.

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Looks lovely! Will probably never get to try one of the Marsala casks but it sounds interesting.

I would imagine that this is a toe in the water exercise and that this batch will be followed by others. Over the last few years Bernard Walsh has visited Spain, France, Portugal, St. Lucia, China, Kentucky and various parts of Italy. I think that this tie-up with Florio Marsala will be the first of many . I would be intrigued  to see what could be the outcome of  a Chinese wine cask maturation, it would certainly be a great marketing ploy in China itself.

I was knocked out by both of the expressions and hope for more of the same.

Slainte,

Charlie

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.