Teeling Single Cask

BoyScout
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My neighbor just returned from a trip to Ireland and brought back (from duty free) a most exquisite Irish whiskey.  It is labeled Single Cask but not Cask Strength as it is the normal 46% ABV.  The label says the fill date was 10/2001 and bottled on 3/17. The unique note is that it was finished in Port casks.  In a word - WOW - smooth, thick, sweet like strawberries, not hot at all, very strong legs, almost a cognac like consistency.  Now our problem is we cannot find it anywhere, either local or online.  Does anyone else know about this and have any tips?

IMG_1841.JPG

I think that that one was an airport special. The guys at the loop (Duty free) are very knowledgeable and have their own society " The Aviators Whiskey Society". They have a close relationship with Teeling and even have their own bottling, a single malt finished in a Cabernet Sauvignon cask. By their very nature there are not many to go around ,the Aviation special being limited to 300 bottles. There was another port finish available, this one in very limited quantities and only available at the distillery . I attach photos of both releases. Travel has it's benefits..

Slainte,

Charlie

teeling aviators.jpg

IMG_0268 (1024x705).jpg

Are the Teeling ports finished or are they matured in port? Most of what they do is finished so I presume that is the case. 10-15 years in port would be interesting!

Recently picked up the single cask Redbreast from The Whisky Exchange that was fully matured for about 15 years in oloroso sherry. Quite interesting but pretty dominated by the sherry which seemed to make it less complex and a bit of a one trick pony.

On 9/5/2017 at 6:13 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Are the Teeling ports finished or are they matured in port?

I think that it is safe to say that they all started life in ex bourbon barrels, some for at least 12 years and are then finished in the port barrels.

I agree with you about the Redbreast, totally dominated by the sherry finish. A feeling that I also had about the "Lustau", much preferred the the standard offering.

If you want a comparative tasting I attach a tasting mat.

Next IWS tasting should be at Teeling's so hope to have a few new drams to be unveiled.

img020.jpg

Edited by charleymcguffin
add photo

Thanks. I was also a bit disappointed with the Lustau as well. The single barrel is interesting enough despite the fact it is a bit overwhelming to make it worthwhile despite the cost. But for every day the 12CS is still the way to go for me.

Well really the 21 is the way to go! But that is too pricey to drink everyday as I don't know when or if I will get more with the price locally having gone up at least 50% since I first bought it.

The single barrel on offer at the distillery today did a full 10yrs in port. No bourbon previously.

It tasted good, but not 100 euros good.

Pearse Lyons was beautiful (the most beautiful I've seen for sure), but it's hard to get excited about an operation making <1 barrel/day.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.