BOTM 9/17: Basil Hayden's

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Nobody has said it outright yet, but I always felt that this was Beam's "bourbon for girlz".

Low proof, smooth - they even put shiny metal on the label. This is perhaps not Beam's most flattering homage to women if this is true, and I know plenty of girls who drink with the big boys, but the whole concept appears like the marketer's idea of feminized to me.

I bought a bottle and went through it way before I developed a palate. Now I never have occasion to try it again, for all the reasons mentioned above.

Liking OGD the way I do, I expect I also like BH.

2 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Nobody has said it outright yet, but I always felt that this was Beam's "bourbon for girlz".

Low proof, smooth - they even put shiny metal on the label. This is perhaps not Beam's most flattering homage to women if this is true, and I know plenty of girls who drink with the big boys, but the whole concept appears like the marketer's idea of feminized to me.

I bought a bottle and went through it way before I developed a palate. Now I never have occasion to try it again, for all the reasons mentioned above.

Liking OGD the way I do, I expect I also like BH.

That's as good a way of putting it as any. I just recently tried both the BH bourbon again and the rye for the first time  (hard to find) and the rye is as mild as the bourbon. It's as if they were trying to make bourbon and rye so meek as to not offend anybody (maybe even wine or beer drinkers), but the result was they forgot to provide any real flavor or character. Sorry, for me at least, that dog don't hunt. In fact I ended up mixing the rye 1 to 4 with the Doubleday craft bourbon from the Cooperstown Distillery, which was too young and harsh by itself but at least added some flavor to the rye. But together they were better than either one separately.

Edited by BourbonDude

You wouldn't expect that from someone with such a butch, husky, brutish, and authoritarian name as...

...Basil...

(insert Fawlty Towers joke here)

Speaking of names...

I have always called it Basil, like the herb.

Ive heard Bernie Lubbers call it more British-like...(well crap, I don't know how to write this...:unsure:). OK, I'll go With this.  :D...like Bazzil, and the Bazz is like "bass" the fish, except with Zs...

Sorry I so stupid...

So, which is it?  Or, other?

I too, have wondered if the brand (and the given name as well) should be pronounced BAYz'l, or Baazz'l.     I've heard several people now say that the herb is properly said; 'bAYz'l', while the man's name should be said; 'Baazz'l', so from now on I'll say it that way.....if I remember.     At my age, that's not a particularly good bet.

Grand Dad is a lot easier to say.

Anyway, I was gifted a bottle of BH for Christmas a number of years ago.  This was back when it still had the 8 year age statement.  It was pretty decent, but not something I'd buy given the low proof and big price.  I tend to agree with the posts suggesting the brand was developed for some other demographic like: Scotch drinkers, wine drinkers, hipsters, or ladies.  Maybe all those.  I thought the dropped age statement was particularly lame for this brand.      

20 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I too, have wondered if the brand (and the given name as well) should be pronounced BAYz'l, or Baazz'l.     I've heard several people now say that the herb is properly said; 'bAYz'l', while the man's name should be said; 'Baazz'l', so from now on I'll say it that way.....if I remember.     At my age, that's not a particularly good bet.

I've heard it pronounced Hazel Bayden.  One person does it consistently.  Reminds me of folks who use, "samidge" innocently, but incorrectly. 

On 9/2/2017 at 11:48 PM, Paddy said:

IMO, It's damn good bourbon.  I'd just rather have those 'ripe' barrels going into a higher proof iteration.  :(

I'll take your word on the damn good part. For the price, I cant really get excited about it. I'd consider myself and advanced beginner but my taste profile tends to be 94-110 proof, 7-12 years is what I find mys lf buying and enjoying. 

I think BH is a gateway to the strong dangerous bourbons. I would caution youngsters or venturous souls to stay away, because they might like the high and "get hooked" before they realize it. Probably should have a proper warning label? 

With BH being the BOTM I decided last night to have a pour.  It was one of my first buys earlier this year when I was just getting into bourbon and was not sure of being able to handle the higher proof stuff.  The best I can say about it is that it's nice.  Proof - not too high; Flavor - not too spicy; Oak - not too oakey.  Doesn't really stand out in any one category but is also not bad in any one category.  It was a good introduction to small batch for me.  If I'm looking for a lower proof that, while it will never WOW me, will also never disappoint me, then BH would be a choice.  

I also think it is a good bourbon to introduce people to bourbon.

• I like it 1

I'm not a fan, but then again it's not designed to appeal to people like me.   Even if the price were the same, I would still buy OGD100 over BH.  BH just tastes so watered down to me.  I'm a big OGD fan, and I'm perfectly content to just keeping buying those (100 and 114).  

• 2 months later...

BH is a decent bourbon. Nothing special. I recently was able to get a couple bottles for $30/ea. I mainly got it to introduce people to bourbon. It's a great contrast in a beginner flight. Even at $30 there are much better bourbons at that price point. 

I refused to purchase this until I recently discovered it in 375ml size. I don't mind taking a $20 gamble on an 80 proof bourbon, but I wasn't going to take a $45 gamble on one. I found it very good. Excellent flavors. I liked what was going on but just felt it fell flat. If this were in the 86-92 range and around $30, I could see this being a solid choice. But at its current 80 proof and $45??? No way.

I refused to purchase this until I recently discovered it in 375ml size. I don't mind taking a $20 gamble on an 80 proof bourbon, but I wasn't going to take a $45 gamble on one. I found it very good. Excellent flavors. I liked what was going on but just felt it fell flat. If this were in the 86-92 range and around $30, I could see this being a solid choice. But at its current 80 proof and $45??? No way.

Yeah, but the newest release comes in it’s own fancy wood veneer tube. Doesn’t that make it worth $45? Just kidding...about it being worth $45...the new ones actually are in a fancy new tube. I’ve actually seen BH priced as low as $36 when stores have bought it in large quantities to get discounts, but that was without the fancy new wood veneer tube. At the low to mid $30 range, I think it’s a decent bourbon, especially for beginners. I still wish it was around 90 proof though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/1/2017 at 7:40 PM, lcpfratn said:

Joe, I have to agree with you that BH is a decent bourbon, and I bought a few bottles years ago based on LS recommendations. As I've expanded my experience with many other bourbons though I've come to the same conclusion that many others have. It's over-priced and under-proofed. It's readily available as are many other better bourbons for less money. If it was priced closer to $30 and at least 90 proof I'd be a buyer again, but I haven't had a bottle in the house in several years.

Kroger is selling them for $27. I always keep one handy because like Joe said it is a surprise bourbon that i would move into the reliable bourbon category. It ALWAYS tastes good!

On 9/1/2017 at 8:18 PM, Richnimrod said:

I have had exactly one bottle (many years ago), which I enjoyed thoroughly, for what it is... a smooth, mellow very easy drinker with a solid nose and nice finish (especially for such low proof).

My only quibble (well the low proof, too, I guess) is the price.     I believe it is a batched/selected Bourbon (from I have no idea how many barrels), and is carefully chosen for the qualities it shows off, so I suppose it's worth a little extra; but the overall quality just isn't commensurate with the other offerings available at/near the same price.    If it could be had for $25 or so, I'd be buyer again.

Hit up your nearby Kroger!

BH.jpg

Kroger is selling them for $27. I always keep one handy because like Joe said it is a surprise bourbon that i would move into the reliable bourbon category. It ALWAYS tastes good!

Well, Kroger can’t sell them in TN. The only thing they can sell in TN is wine and beer.

1 minute ago, lcpfratn said:

Well, Kroger can’t sell them in TN. The only thing they can sell in TN is wine and beer.

Darn, that's too bad. I'm on a waiting list at my Kroger for Weller 12 Year & Blanton's. I was actually able to buy 2 bottles of Blanton's there last month when I got the email that the shipment came in. $54 a bottle I believe is what i paid.

7 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Yeah, but the newest release comes in it’s own fancy wood veneer tube. Doesn’t that make it worth $45? Just kidding...about it being worth $45...the new ones actually are in a fancy new tube. I’ve actually seen BH priced as low as $36 when stores have bought it in large quantities to get discounts, but that was without the fancy new wood veneer tube. At the low to mid $30 range, I think it’s a decent bourbon, especially for beginners. I still wish it was around 90 proof though.

Beam-Suntory ain't no dummies.  Following the lead of all the fancy tube clad scotches to get that extra $10 (and more) from our wallets.  And, I love it!!!  

4 hours ago, typf2 said:

Hit up your nearby Kroger!

BH.jpg

Sadly, in 'The Mitten State' the offering of "sale" prices on Bourbon (and pretty much all of the other distilled spirits I have any interest in) is prohibited.  

There is a "State Minimum Price" below which no licensed dealer may sell 'em.

Beam-Suntory ain't no dummies.  Following the lead of all the fancy tube clad scotches to get that extra $10 (and more) from our wallets.  And, I love it!!!  

I gotta admit the new tube is pretty classy and expensive looking!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

The joys of a control state, the lowest we ever see it is around $40. If I saw it around $27, I would pick it up as an occasional pour

• 1 month later...

For me Basil Hayden is a session bourbon kinda like low abv beer but less filling:) 

Edited by Tim522
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.