BOTM 9/17: Basil Hayden's

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My first sample of Basil Hayden's was purchased in a bar, and I didn't care for it. Later I got a bottle in a gift set (possibly with a Booker's), and didn't like it any better. I don't recall any off tastes, but can't remember the flavor well enough to describe why I didn't care for it. It's not the mashbill--I like a lot of ryes, and I like the other three Beam "small batches" quite a bit (I just love that "small batch" label for these brands that could fill Lake Michigan). Basil Hayden's really doesn't fit in this collection--ABV is too low, taste is too thin.; but I guess the high price fits the "small batch series" profile.

20 hours ago, Chuckles said:

It's not the mashbill--I like a lot of ryes, ......

Basil is not a rye.

15 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Until recently!

True! This thread is about the bourbon though. Maybe Chuckles is thinking of the new rye?

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

True! This thread is about the bourbon though. Maybe Chuckles is thinking of the new rye?

Certainly possible to confuse the two if you don't look closely.

5 minutes ago, flahute said:

Or, maybe he just was referring to the higher-than-average rye content in Basil Hayden's mash bill?   ;)

Don't really have too much to add that hasn't already been said... I found it just okay if not a bit watered down tasting... Not offensive really, just nothing there to justify the price beyond the aesthetics of the bottle... If I'm going to drink a Beam product, I much prefer KC 9yo 120° or Bookers. To me BH is the Coors Light of bourbon.  

3 hours ago, JTaylor said:

To me BH is the Coors Light of bourbon.  

Heee-He!   That, my friend is a very apt description of BH.    I like your thinking, bud.  

I don't mind BH, I just don't reach for it all that often.    Maybe a couple times a year.     It's well made, and has a nice enough profile; but, just so under-powered; and, I don't just mean alcohol punch.     This brand needs an up-shelf cousin at something like Baker's proof: 107.     Of course in today's world, that would sell for about $75, so I'd probably still leave it on the shelf.

• 3 weeks later...

Oops. My post was sloppy. I know Basil Hayden is a bourbon. I was referring to its high rye mash bill. 

• 1 year later...

I had really high hopes for this, but walked away disappointed.  Why?  

Great nose and mouth...but the finish disappears like a fart in a tornado.  Mouth is great...then nothing.  I was shocked at the abruptness they left, too.  For the money, there should be a hint of a finish, but there is none.

This is probably the most disappointing bottle I've had thus far.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.