Booker's 2017-03 Front Porch Batch

gmiller598
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone had this yet? If so what are your thoughts? I can't find anything online about it so I'm not sure how it stacks up against prior releases. The proof comes in a touch lower than recent releases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have nothing useful to add here, I haven't had any of this years batches and only one of last years, I'm pretty well bunkered with Booker's but interested in seeing how others feel about recent batches. Profile on Booker's has been pretty consistent over the years even if age has not been. 

• 3 months later...

Just picked up a bottle of this for $49.99.  Not gonna get to it for a little bit.  Has anyone tried it yet?  Should I buy more?

38 minutes ago, Bourbon....Neat! said:

Just picked up a bottle of this for $49.99.  Not gonna get to it for a little bit.  Has anyone tried it yet?  Should I buy more?

Just open and try the the damn thing and determine for yourself if you should buy more.  Good grief...

• I like it 3

56 minutes ago, Bourbon....Neat! said:

For fiddy bux?    Try it; and hurry back for more ....if you like it, of course.    That is a very nice price, especially compared to the 'State Minimum' here in Michigan.

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Just open and try the the damn thing and determine for yourself if you should buy more.  Good grief...

If I was ready to open it I would.   As I said I won't be getting to it for a while as I don't want 40 open bottles.  Just trying to find out if this batch is as good as people are claiming 2017-04 is.  And if I wait until I open it, it will be gone.  

Edited by Bourbon....Neat!

8 hours ago, Bourbon....Neat! said:

If I was ready to open it I would.   As I said I won't be getting to it for a while as I don't want 40 open bottles.  Just trying to find out if this batch is as good as people are claiming 2017-04 is.  And if I wait until I open it, it will be gone.  

What this group likes or doesn't like means nothing to your taste buds, you have to try it for yourself. SmokinJoe and I enjoy a lot of the same bourbons but there are others we disagree on. So whose opinion is right? Neither.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with 40 open bottles, variety is the spice of life :D

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Bourbon....Neat! said:

If you like  Bookers, $49.99 is a steal. 

39 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

If you like  Bookers, $49.99 is a steal. 

Based on his post, your advise is literally of no help... :lol:

• I like it 1

I would buy a case for sure. If it's good get a few more cases. :P

Edited by FacePlant

10 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Based on his post, your advise is literally of no help... :lol:

I’m not crazy about bookers so it is a pass for me at any price. 

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, Bourbon....Neat! said:

If you need to know if you should buy more, you are ready to open it. Who cares if you have 40 open? Most of us do. Just because you open it to try it doesn't mean you have to keep it in your rotation of open bottles. It will keep just fine if you need to wait a while to get to it.

• I like it 1

:lol: Bookers is Bookers.  If you like it and find it for $49.99, then buy what you think is reasonable.  If you haven't tried it, then try it and then buy more if you like it.  I like it.  If I found it for $49.99, I would probably pick up a couple of bottles.  If it is the "Front Porch" batch, I would either have to drink it quickly since it is cold outside or save it until the weather warms up.

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

:lol: Bookers is Bookers.  If you like it and find it for $49.99, then buy what you think is reasonable.  If you haven't tried it, then try it and then buy more if you like it.  I like it.  If I found it for $49.99, I would probably pick up a couple of bottles.  If it is the "Front Porch" batch, I would either have to drink it quickly since it is cold outside or save it until the weather warms up.

Im confused.  Do you want to drink it when it's cold?  Or warm?

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:34 AM, Vosgar said:

What this group likes or doesn't like means nothing to your taste buds, you have to try it for yourself. SmokinJoe and I enjoy a lot of the same bourbons but there are others we disagree on. So whose opinion is right? Neither.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with 40 open bottles, variety is the spice of life :D

Amen to both points.

Regarding your second point, I am dutifully and diligently working my bunker down, and currently have 89 open bottles (along with 197 unopened). Not planning on any new bottles for quite a while. 

On 1/6/2018 at 10:59 PM, flahute said:

If you need to know if you should buy more, you are ready to open it. Who cares if you have 40 open? Most of us do. Just because you open it to try it doesn't mean you have to keep it in your rotation of open bottles. It will keep just fine if you need to wait a while to get to it.

To each his own of course but I think I had 40 bottles open immediately after I bought my 40th bottle. And that was a very long time ago! My experience has been that if you make sure the cork stays in good shape you won't have to worry about the whiskey.

• I like it 2

Bookers tends to be very consistent, the batch thing is mostly marketing. If you've had and liked Bookers in the past there is a really good change you will like this one. If you've had and did not like Bookers in the past, you probably won't like this one either.

A lot tends to be made about the latest batch of ECBP, Stagg Jr, Bookers, etc, but it's important to keep in mind this is generally discussing the very fine points and subtleties of each batch. The margin of error for quality is likely very low for most of these batched semi-limited releases. For instance, if someone states that they like the C17 batch of ECBP over the B17, it's probably something like 96/100 vs 94/100, rather than 95/100 vs 75/100. From my experience, the variance for Bookers is typically in the range of a couple percent points as well.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 1

Does Booker's in general have that "Beam" flavor, or does the high proof cover it? I keep thinking of buying some, but I generally dislike JB/KC because of it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, mortre said:

Does Booker's in general have that "Beam" flavor, or does the high proof cover it? I keep thinking of buying some, but I generally dislike JB/KC because of it.

Depends on the day and the batch for me. Sometimes it's nowhere near present and sometimes it's there.

Depends on the day and the batch for me. Sometimes it's nowhere near present and sometimes it's there.
I may but one and hope, but it's hard to justify knowing that I don't like most of the rest of their stuff. But on the other hand I know I like Stagg Jr despite not really liking most BT stuff.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, mortre said:

I may but one and hope, but it's hard to justify knowing that I don't like most of the rest of their stuff. But on the other hand I know I like Stagg Jr despite not really liking most BT stuff.

You can always try to find it in a bar first. Much cheaper that way in case you're not a fan of it :D

Cheers!

53 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

You can always try to find it in a bar first. Much cheaper that way in case you're not a fan of it :D

Cheers!

Good advice!  Particularly considering how many bars carry it.  

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, mortre said:

I would say yes. I general I feel like the younger it is, the more of that Beam funk it has. For instance OGD114 has a big wallop of funky nuttiness, where say a KC single barrel store pick at 12 years or so has mellowed out to a point where it's in the background. I would put Bookers somewhere in the middle, it has enough age on it where the funk is clearly there, but isn't overwhelming. 

I would say yes. I general I feel like the younger it is, the more of that Beam funk it has. For instance OGD114 has a big wallop of funky nuttiness, where say a KC single barrel store pick at 12 years or so has mellowed out to a point where it's in the background. I would put Bookers somewhere in the middle, it has enough age on it where the funk is clearly there, but isn't overwhelming. 

I have a feeling we may be calling different flavors the "funk". Whatever it is I don't get it out of OGD114 or Basil Hayden's, but I did get it strongly out of KC9 year. I actually quite enjoyed the KC9, until I swallowed and that Beam flavor followed.

What ever it is it makes me hitch a little and turns my stomach...

That said I might try a bottle of the JB 12y/o just to see.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW I had a pour with a Reuben sandwich and a bowl of chicken pozole. So many bold and spicy flavors and this batch stood up to them all with no problem. That being said, it still didn't seem like it was 129.5 proof. It was very smooth. I'm a fan. I can't compare to other batches though. This was the first Booker's I've had.

20180112_122623.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.