Kentucky Owl Rye

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, bin31z said:

Picked up one of these last night and cracked it. We did a side by side with this...2016 Mitchter's 10 year rye, SAOS 9 year Rye, THH, a 16 year old Rye from High West (basically the older rye component of rendezvous rye). This one surprised me as it was my fav just under the 16 year old stuff and way better than the other ryes. They all share similarities on the nose but the palate was amazing, maybe owing to being a higher proof. The bigger loser in my book was the THH, just hot and unsophisticated. For the money, the SAOS is probably the best deal but this 11 yr is really a treat if you can get it. 

I don't imagine I'll be able to actually find this so it's sort of moot, but this makes me really want to try it!

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally tried this. I'll start by saying I hate the idea of the brand. I'm not a huge NDP fan besides the ones that I think are really good at what they do and have some integrity. I also think the price on this is lofty. But. It's worth the price, at least to me. You see I'm a slave to aged ryes. And this scratches that itch for me more so than anything else available on the market today. Call it blasphemy but I think I would take this over the 2016 Saz18 or the VWFRR. I just didn't love those releases but I did love this. It is exceedingly drinkable neat. The only release that I liked as much recently was the Booker's Rye but these two are completely different animals. I might end up spending a lot of money on a few more bottles of this. 

Edited by BottledInBond

I caved and bought one myself, it's on it's way along with a few bottles of Rum from CA so I figure it will be here late next week, I'm excited to try it. I have no problem with honest NDP's and while I get that KO Bourbon is over priced based on the specs compared to some other available brands, I still think based on what is available it's hard to argue with the price on this one, I can't think of a single 10+ year KY Rye on the market especially at a high proof.  Take Canadian and Indiana rye into account and there are still only a few products and the prices are equally as high with the exception of single barrel CS Whistlepig. 

Tried a sample and really enjoyed it. I thought the nose was fantastic. Very drinkable neat for a 110 proof rye. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:47 PM, 0895 said:

Finally cracked this open.

Anyone who drinks a lot of HW rendezvous rye will immediately recognize which rickhouse this owl flew out of.

I'm a buyer of this stuff all day long @ retail.  Yes, it's expensive, but unless you can tell me where to find some old bottles of Rocky mountain rye @ a reasonable price, it's all I've got.

I read somewhere that Eddie Russell said the rye was sourced from HH. Not sure if this is true and not sure how he would even have that information but thought I would do a SBS of Pikesville and KO Rye. Granted there would be a 5 year age difference. Pikesville as always came off bourbony with classic sweet caramel, I also get a peanut note I get from Beam. The KO was more of a spicy cherry cola with clove and baking spice. I love Pikesville but the KO was a lot more complex. In my amateur opinion, I would have to agree it is more likely Barton. While I have never had HW16, I get notes similar to HWRR and HWMWND although I'm sure the Barton content in these are very low. Nonetheless it is a great Rye and I hope to see more aged rye in the future.

42 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

I read somewhere that Eddie Russell said the rye was sourced from HH. Not sure if this is true and not sure how he would even have that information but thought I would do a SBS of Pikesville and KO Rye. Granted there would be a 5 year age difference. Pikesville as always came off bourbony with classic sweet caramel, I also get a peanut note I get from Beam. The KO was more of a spicy cherry cola with clove and baking spice. I love Pikesville but the KO was a lot more complex. In my amateur opinion, I would have to agree it is more likely Barton. While I have never had HW16, I get notes similar to HWRR and HWMWND although I'm sure the Barton content in these are very low. Nonetheless it is a great Rye and I hope to see more aged rye in the future.

Anything is possible but HH seems less likely not only because of the flavor but was HH even making rye 11 years ago? I suppose they could have been but BF was making Rittenhouse for them until about 6 years ago. In any case I did taste it next to the original HW 16 which was the all Barton 80% rye mashbill. Maybe it was the age difference or maybe it was similar to the Barton 53% rye mashbill that HW also had but I did not find them to be all that close to one another. But were very good though!

It would be interesting to know for sure but I guess that isn't likely to happen.

What we know for sure is that it's from Kentucky. 

A fired of mine in Louisville was at a release event for this and spoke with Dedman who told him it was a 95/5 mashbill. Huh? How is that possible? We all know who produces that mashbill. 

Well, I can't find it, but a couple weeks ago someone in one of the facebook groups post a screen grab of an old post from the pages of this here web forum in which someone was talking about being at Barton and being told about a 95/5 rye they were experimenting with. The time period matched up.

An intriguing development indeed.

• I like it 2

I found this for about $140 on an online store that ships to me (somewhat of a rarity), that seems about the going rate. I'm hesitant to go for it though. The last time I dropped ~$130 on a rye was Lock Stock 16, which is pretty good but not $130 good IMO. 

My question for anyone who has tried KOR, how does it compare to Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, or barrel proof WhistlePig (store pick)? Both of those I can find pretty easily at about half the price, so if it's just in the same ballpark I'll give it a pass, but if it's way better...

Edited by EarthQuake

Woodford Reserve Distillery Series- Blended Rye

The blend contains the original 100% rye mash distillate used in the Woodford Reserve Master’s Collection Aged Cask Rye expression, which was matured in used Woodford Reserve Bourbon barrels.

Distilled in 2004, select quantities of this rye were held back to continue maturing until 2017, when it was blended with the last of the original Distiller’s Select Straight Rye – a recipe of 53% rye, 33% corn and 14% malted barley.

“The opportunity to blend two outstanding rye whiskey profiles was too good to pass up,” said Chris Morris, master distiller at Woodford Reserve’s parent company Brown-Forman.

“Since the entire Woodford Reserve Series concept is about flavour innovation, this whiskey series expression is sure to impress whiskey aficionados.”

Bottled at 45.2% abv, Woodford Reserve Blended Rye Whiskey carries an age statement of 11 years.

31 minutes ago, jjjones said:

The blend contains the original 100% rye mash distillate used in the Woodford Reserve Master’s Collection Aged Cask Rye expression, which was matured in used Woodford Reserve Bourbon barrels.

Distilled in 2004, select quantities of this rye were held back to continue maturing until 2017, when it was blended with the last of the original Distiller’s Select Straight Rye – a recipe of 53% rye, 33% corn and 14% malted barley.

“The opportunity to blend two outstanding rye whiskey profiles was too good to pass up,” said Chris Morris, master distiller at Woodford Reserve’s parent company Brown-Forman.

“Since the entire Woodford Reserve Series concept is about flavour innovation, this whiskey series expression is sure to impress whiskey aficionados.”

Bottled at 45.2% abv, Woodford Reserve Blended Rye Whiskey carries an age statement of 11 years.

JJJ, are you suggesting there's a connection, here?

1 hour ago, jjjones said:

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

JJJ, are you suggesting there's a connection, here?

That would be quite the connection if not for one thing I heard.

Same friend that I mentioned above was at that event with Marianne Barnes and he had her taste it. She said no way was it Brown Forman whiskey. She is in a good position to know of course.

Doesn't prove anything, but take that for what it's worth.

Opened my first bottle and I am really enjoying it. I find it provides a unique complexity compared to the other ryes I have tried.

• 1 month later...

I heard this made an appearance in the local ABC's on Tuesday.  $130. I'm not looking for it. When I need another rye I'll get the Pikesville.

28 minutes ago, DCFan said:

I heard this made an appearance in the local ABC's on Tuesday.  $130. I'm not looking for it. When I need another rye I'll get the Pikesville.

It is pricey but I have to reluctantly admit that it was also pretty good and well aged ryes are a rare creature indeed.

6 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

It is pricey but I have to reluctantly admit that it was also pretty good and well aged ryes are a rare creature indeed.

One of the local chains has been pricing it at $99, unfortunately by the time I knew this I had already purchased 3 (plus one for another SB'er) on the plus side it sounds like there will be a few releases a year so I know where I will be buying going forward. At $99 it almost seems like a deal the way aged Ryes are priced these days. It's funny how thing have changed, like how after years of bashing Whistlepig many (myself included) look at the single barrels as a value. 

12 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

One of the local chains has been pricing it at $99, unfortunately by the time I knew this I had already purchased 3 (plus one for another SB'er) on the plus side it sounds like there will be a few releases a year so I know where I will be buying going forward. At $99 it almost seems like a deal the way aged Ryes are priced these days. It's funny how thing have changed, like how after years of bashing Whistlepig many (myself included) look at the single barrels as a value. 

Very true. Almost nothing from the nasally groundhog is a good deal these days but a (good) cask strength 10yo store pick at $70 or so seems like a good deal by today's standards. I have been fortunate to find (or receive from friends!) several excellent picks. My store almost did one that I helped pick but the distributor managed to completely screw it up so we backed out since we already had several barrels coming this fall. Three barrels in December alone although the one I was looking forward to the most, a Makers PS that I was primarily responsible for picking the various staves for, has annoyingly gotten pushed back to January.

• 4 weeks later...

As I posted in the what rye did you purchase lately thread, I got the chance to taste the Owl at a store that offered tastings. Tried both the Owl bourbon and the Owl rye.

I found the Owl bourbon as dull as dishwater, but the rye is truly spectacular.

I channeled my inner Bruce and caved in...

IMG_0322.thumb.JPG.01cba4379318e498186f7d7e45ed46b0.JPG

• I like it 6

This has to be one of the most complicated rye's I've had in awhile.  I didn't like my first glass, and dammit if I hadn't already purchased two bottles, hated my second glass, but since I was already into the bottle I was determined to keep trying it and see where it went.  I tried it neat, with water, with ice, with each glass I found that I discovered something new about it, and something new about my flavor choices.  I'm not a fan of anise generally, and this does give off some notes of that, so I was struggling.  I got about half the bottle down when I realized that this was a relationship I was going to have to work on.  This wasn't going to be easy.  I found that I liked the complexity of it more than anything.  It didn't really remind me of anything I'd had previously, so I kept going.  

I really really enjoy this whiskey.  If I had given up after the first few glasses, I would have really missed out on something special.  Today, I picked up another 2 bottles at my local BevMo.  I do believe that this will be the bottles I share with people trying to find new things that they've never had before.  I think this will be as eye opening for some of my friends as it has been to me.  

New possibilities.  New frontiers.  Glad I got this.  

• I like it 1

Glad to hear more people on here giving this release some love. I was skeptical before I tried it, but have been on the record as being a fan for a while now. I almost wish I had bought more, but realistically the 5 I bought will last a while unless I gift any (which I gift whiskey pretty frequently in general) 

• I like it 1

37 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

Glad to hear more people on here giving this release some love. I was skeptical before I tried it, but have been on the record as being a fan for a while now. I almost wish I had bought more, but realistically the 5 I bought will last a while unless I gift any (which I gift whiskey pretty frequently in general) 

Yeah good point on the gifting. I actually bought one as a wedding present for a friend, so technically I've bought two, but only one for myself. Hopefully none of my other rye-loving friends get married because I'm not giving them my bottle!

• 2 weeks later...

Opened my bottle yesterday to celebrate my birthday (the bottle was a birthday gift from my wife).  Have to say it was as good or better than any rye that I have tried, and I have tried virtually all of them as I am a big rye fan.  No water, no ice, just neat, and very drinkable.  Need to find another bottle or two.

• I like it 2

y4mE1z76K1gFCO-7qG0heRbwBiAISH6dBnfkSdhA I'm new to Bourbon collecting and wanted to share my favorite display... I happen to know Dixon Dedman and will be staying at the Beaumont Inn February 14th.. If anyone has a question about Kentucky Owl let me know...  

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Bbstout said:

I hope your really good friends and he will tell you where it's sourced from.

Client/Inn Keeper relation, we go to the Inn often.... I know him pretty well, he's going to sign my Owl.... He does Bourbon tastings in a new tasting room as well... Including his Owl, Pappy and more.. Very nice but small Bourbon bar... 

Edited by robertm3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.