Kentucky Owl Rye

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

15 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^^Country ham sammich at the Owl's Nest bar? 

Country Ham was never my favorite... The Nest has ribs out of this world... Cozy little Bourbon bar, the County is dry and has only a few (2 now I think) authorized places to get a cocktail, many locals go there... Fun place.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2018 at 2:33 PM, robertm3 said:

y4mE1z76K1gFCO-7qG0heRbwBiAISH6dBnfkSdhA I'm new to Bourbon collecting and wanted to share my favorite display... I happen to know Dixon Dedman and will be staying at the Beaumont Inn February 14th.. If anyone has a question about Kentucky Owl let me know...  

Since he won't likely reveal the source, see if you can get him to verify that the mashbill is 95% rye, 5% malted rye or malted barley.

20 hours ago, flahute said:

Since he won't likely reveal the source, see if you can get him to verify that the mashbill is 95% rye, 5% malted rye or malted barley.

If it is MGP it sure is a unique one! And doesn't it claim to be a Kentucky straight rye on the label?

30 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

If it is MGP it sure is a unique one! And doesn't it claim to be a Kentucky straight rye on the label?

It is Kentucky Straight, yes. A friend of mine was told straight from the horse's mouth that it was a 95/5 mashbill and since it's not MGP the only source I've found is Barton and that mashbill was experimental for them. If the horse's mouth says this again, we'll be onto something.

56 minutes ago, flahute said:

It is Kentucky Straight, yes. A friend of mine was told straight from the horse's mouth that it was a 95/5 mashbill and since it's not MGP the only source I've found is Barton and that mashbill was experimental for them. If the horse's mouth says this again, we'll be onto something.

Very interesting. The Barton theory has been mentioned before but I did not know it was alleged to be be 95/5 or that Barton even made a 95/5 at one time.

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Very interesting. The Barton theory has been mentioned before but I did not know it was alleged to be be 95/5 or that Barton even made a 95/5 at one time.

Check out chasking's comment on August 5th, 2015. Unfortunately, the thread he linked to is no longer available.

https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/23338-fleischmanns-straight-rye-mash-rye-whiskey/?tab=comments#comment-481050

9 hours ago, flahute said:

Check out chasking's comment on August 5th, 2015. Unfortunately, the thread he linked to is no longer available.

https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/23338-fleischmanns-straight-rye-mash-rye-whiskey/?tab=comments#comment-481050

Well, I am sure I read that back in the day but didn't make the connection to KO. Sounds as reasonable as anything I have heard so far.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Came across this thread as I have seen a lot of this sitting on shelves in the Chicago area. Consensus seems to be it’s a good buy. May consider it next time. Anyone have a view on how it compares to some of the older, Willett sourced ryes? 

23 minutes ago, hugh jass said:

Came across this thread as I have seen a lot of this sitting on shelves in the Chicago area. Consensus seems to be it’s a good buy. May consider it next time. Anyone have a view on how it compares to some of the older, Willett sourced ryes? 

Different animals if you are talking about the 20yr+ Willett ryes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.