Sign in to follow this  
kevinbrink

Kentucky Owl Rye

EarthQuake   
EarthQuake
6 hours ago, bin31z said:

Picked up one of these last night and cracked it. We did a side by side with this...2016 Mitchter's 10 year rye, SAOS 9 year Rye, THH, a 16 year old Rye from High West (basically the older rye component of rendezvous rye). This one surprised me as it was my fav just under the 16 year old stuff and way better than the other ryes. They all share similarities on the nose but the palate was amazing, maybe owing to being a higher proof. The bigger loser in my book was the THH, just hot and unsophisticated. For the money, the SAOS is probably the best deal but this 11 yr is really a treat if you can get it. 

I don't imagine I'll be able to actually find this so it's sort of moot, but this makes me really want to try it!

BottledInBond   
BottledInBond

So I finally tried this. I'll start by saying I hate the idea of the brand. I'm not a huge NDP fan besides the ones that I think are really good at what they do and have some integrity. I also think the price on this is lofty. But. It's worth the price, at least to me. You see I'm a slave to aged ryes. And this scratches that itch for me more so than anything else available on the market today. Call it blasphemy but I think I would take this over the 2016 Saz18 or the VWFRR. I just didn't love those releases but I did love this. It is exceedingly drinkable neat. The only release that I liked as much recently was the Booker's Rye but these two are completely different animals. I might end up spending a lot of money on a few more bottles of this. 

Edited by BottledInBond

kevinbrink   
kevinbrink

I caved and bought one myself, it's on it's way along with a few bottles of Rum from CA so I figure it will be here late next week, I'm excited to try it. I have no problem with honest NDP's and while I get that KO Bourbon is over priced based on the specs compared to some other available brands, I still think based on what is available it's hard to argue with the price on this one, I can't think of a single 10+ year KY Rye on the market especially at a high proof.  Take Canadian and Indiana rye into account and there are still only a few products and the prices are equally as high with the exception of single barrel CS Whistlepig.