Mystic Farm & Distillery

Mystic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi All,

We are one of the few field to flask distilleries in the country, and the only one in North Carolina's Research Triangle.  

At Mystic Farm and Distillery we produce bourbon and bourbon liqueur based on our 45% wheat mash bill.  The current offerings are a single-barrel, cask-strength ranging from 3 to 4 years old that we call Heart of Mystic.  The liqueur is a real crowd pleaser simply called Mystic.  We also sell our white-dog as Soul of Mystic.  We've been producing at other distilleries since 2013 and we now produce about 5 barrels per week.  We offer a very in-depth tour experience, and we're glad to have you join us if you're in the area.

Best,

J. Blitz

MysticandHeartonBarrelsmall.jpeg

Greetings, and welcome.  (Disclosure - I just visited your website and read all the pages.)  Some of us are pretty geeky when bourbon specifically and American whiskey generally are being discussed or consumed, so . . .

The website picture shows the liqueur and the bourbon sitting on what looks like a standard barrel.  At 5 barrels a week - is that standard 53 gallon (200 Liter) new American oak or do you use smaller barrels?  If smaller barrels, what the heck are you living on?;)  Teasing, of course.

Assuming standard barrels, that's about 200 proof gallons a week.  Do you have a picture of your still?  Some of the micros that some of us have visited and more of us have tasted tend to use a higher entry proof for economy's sake.  Some of us think that lower is better.  Do you mind sharing?

Incidentally, nice color for the bourbon.  And, I missed the Wash DC event.  Do you sell up here?  Sorry for the disjointed questions - a 4R OBSV store pick (with a small ice cube) from Pearson's sits on my left, and KC is beating the Pats on TV.

34 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Mystic please forgive my ignorance but what exactly is a bourbon liqueur?

Mystic can definitely answer, but based on the website it sounds like flavored bourbon that is proofed down to 30% ABV.

A distillery representative with the last name "Blitz"... Nice touch.  :D

Welcome to SB! 

I've tried 4 different single barrels of Heart of Mystic (barrels 5, 6, 7, and 10). They were all good, but all quite different in flavor profile. My favorite was barrel 5, which was a butterscotch bomb. Quite nice, especially for only 2 years of aging. I'm curious to know more about how it's distilled and aged.

Hi All,

We are one of the few field to flask distilleries in the country...  

We've been producing at other distilleries since 2013 and we now produce about 5 barrels per week...

Best,
J. Blitz
MysticandHeartonBarrelsmall.thumb.jpeg.d366018746805be6c49d6cd128df63ce.jpeg

The second statement above seems to be inconsistent with the first statement unless "other" is a typo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
On 9/9/2017 at 11:07 PM, silverc said:

I've tried 4 different single barrels of Heart of Mystic (barrels 5, 6, 7, and 10). They were all good, but all quite different in flavor profile. My favorite was barrel 5, which was a butterscotch bomb. Quite nice, especially for only 2 years of aging. I'm curious to know more about how it's distilled and aged.

I’ve had barrel 18 and it was quite nice.  I’ll be going back for more at some point.

8CDFBF19-DE76-41DC-98EF-DBDB1E68C5E8.jpeg

Edited by GoCubs85
Add pic

You know what pisses me off?  When a brand comes in and introduces itself.  Then, the brand gets welcomed, gets questions asked, and gets a review of the whiskey...And what does the brand do?  Not a friggin’ thing.  Buh-bye...

• I like it 5

• 1 month later...

sorry, I'm late to the show.  seems like Jonathan is more about marketing than making a presence.  we've had other crafters come in and do lots of informative posts.  Though his high proofage is nice, wonder if he'll do bubblegum cinnamon flavor to attract vodka crowd?  He could have at least come back to answer questions.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.