Jump to content
TexanBrad

Heirloom Variety Corn

Recommended Posts

TexanBrad   
TexanBrad

Hi all,

 

I'm curious if people have tried any of the heirloom (or at least not standard) variety bourbons/Corn whiskeys that have cropped up in recent years. Being in Texas, I've had Balcones, but recently I've learned about a few more using various red corn varieties in other places, such as a couple in MO and one in NC. They sound super interesting (at least to the nerdy side of me) and Im debating whether it's worth some substantial effort on my part to track down some for our local whiskey group. Anyone tried any or know of any more I could be on the lookout for?

 

Thanks!

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mako254   
Mako254

https://www.crouchdistilling.com/jimmy-red-corn-whiskey/

 

these folks are down the road from me. I like their rye and have a couple of their seasonal brandys.  

I am intrigued by the jimmy ree corn but it is awful young.  If anyone wants some, let me know. The Jimmy red is around 50-60 I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2   
tanstaafl2

J. Henry & Sons from Wisconsin is one that seems to have gotten some good reviews but it has only been available locally in Wisconsin up to now so I have not gotten a chance to try it. Made with heirloom red corn and locally distilled (by another small distillery in the area) and reportedly aged 5 years in standard barrels so it sounds interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vosgar   
Vosgar

Hey Bruce, I'll bring this bottle with me to the KBF. I bought a bottle of Batch 1 and it was OK but nothing spectacular. This cask strength bottle has been sitting in the wings since last June so we'll try it together :) 

 

P1090552.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TexanBrad   
TexanBrad
J. Henry & Sons from Wisconsin is one that seems to have gotten some good reviews but it has only been available locally in Wisconsin up to now so I have not gotten a chance to try it. Made with heirloom red corn and locally distilled (by another small distillery in the area) and reportedly aged 5 years in standard barrels so it sounds interesting.


That looks cool, thanks for pointing that one out!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod   
Richnimrod
13 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Hey Bruce, I'll bring this bottle with me to the KBF. I bought a bottle of Batch 1 and it was OK but nothing spectacular. This cask strength bottle has been sitting in the wings since last June so we'll try it together :) 

 

 

Hey Gary, if there's a small pour of this looking for another interested taster; I'm your guy.    If not that's OK.    Either way; seeeeya in B'town.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vosgar   
Vosgar
18 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Hey Gary, if there's a small pour of this looking for another interested taster; I'm your guy.    If not that's OK.    Either way; seeeeya in B'town.

For you???? I don't know.............. :P  See ya next week!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeepCover   
DeepCover
4 hours ago, TexanBrad said:

 


That looks cool, thanks for pointing that one out!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

I have a bottle. If you want a sample, I can hook you up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gurgalunas   
gurgalunas
On 9/8/2017 at 1:08 PM, TexanBrad said:

 

Hi all,

 

I'm curious if people have tried any of the heirloom (or at least not standard) variety bourbons/Corn whiskeys that have cropped up in recent years. Being in Texas, I've had Balcones, but recently I've learned about a few more using various red corn varieties in other places, such as a couple in MO and one in NC. They sound super interesting (at least to the nerdy side of me) and Im debating whether it's worth some substantial effort on my part to track down some for our local whiskey group. Anyone tried any or know of any more I could be on the lookout for?

 

Thanks!

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Here is an article I came across awhile back on the MO distilleries.  

 

http://m.feastmagazine.com/drink/features/article_6dc28a80-3fd3-11e7-93d9-9346aeb37133.html

 

I sampled one of the whiskeys at a winery a couple years ago.  They are young whiskeys, and very corn forward.  To someone (like myself) who appreciates a well aged bourbon, they are a tough pour to finish.  Very young, very corn forward.  If you want to nerd out and compare the flavors imparted by different heirloom corn varieties, you could track them down to try.  They are really about tasting the corn, not tasting aged whiskey.  They are available in Kansas City, quite well distributed locally.  Personally, I won't touch them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2   
tanstaafl2
19 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Hey Bruce, I'll bring this bottle with me to the KBF. I bought a bottle of Batch 1 and it was OK but nothing spectacular. This cask strength bottle has been sitting in the wings since last June so we'll try it together :) 

 

 

Excellent! I look forward to it. We might need something to keep us warm if the remnants of Irma try to soak us all week!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MaltMartyr   
MaltMartyr

J. Henry is sold in the Chicago area.  Binny's has/had a bottle that was selected by Bourbon Women that is supposed to be particularly good.  Brett picked a benchmark barrel that J. Henry went ahead and bottled for Binny's.  Both seem quite good.  I read a reference to Highwire, which is the whiskey that uses Jimmy Red corn.  I don't know that Highwire qualifies as a bourbon.  Have fun at KBF!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TexanBrad   
TexanBrad
Here is an article I came across awhile back on the MO distilleries.  
 
http://m.feastmagazine.com/drink/features/article_6dc28a80-3fd3-11e7-93d9-9346aeb37133.html
 
I sampled one of the whiskeys at a winery a couple years ago.  They are young whiskeys, and very corn forward.  To someone (like myself) who appreciates a well aged bourbon, they are a tough pour to finish.  Very young, very corn forward.  If you want to nerd out and compare the flavors imparted by different heirloom corn varieties, you could track them down to try.  They are really about tasting the corn, not tasting aged whiskey.  They are available in Kansas City, quite well distributed locally.  Personally, I won't touch them.  


Nerding out is exactly what I'm shooting for. I learned a ton in undergrad in my viticulture and enology classes by getting to taste things that, by themselves aren't special, but side by side are very instructive/cool. Much like the reason people love comparing Four Roses recipes( including me), I just like expanding the concept to different variety grains, etc.

Thanks for the heads up and article, I'll keep up my hunting :-).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Postal Grunt   
Postal Grunt

You might have to do some digging around to find the articles, I don't have links, but some of the Buffalo Trace email newsletters over the past year or so have mentioned that they have made batches with heritage type corn, some of which is being grown on their property near the distillery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gurgalunas   
gurgalunas
18 hours ago, TexanBrad said:

 


Nerding out is exactly what I'm shooting for. I learned a ton in undergrad in my viticulture and enology classes by getting to taste things that, by themselves aren't special, but side by side are very instructive/cool. Much like the reason people love comparing Four Roses recipes( including me), I just like expanding the concept to different variety grains, etc.

Thanks for the heads up and article, I'll keep up my hunting :-).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Heirloom corn is what the Woodhat and Pinkney Bend guys are all about, so those should be right up your alley.  I just saw about 6' of a shelf dedicated to them today at LS.  Sorry, not in my wheelhouse... 

 

Now 4R SxS, I'm all about that!

17 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

You might have to do some digging around to find the articles, I don't have links, but some of the Buffalo Trace email newsletters over the past year or so have mentioned that they have made batches with heritage type corn, some of which is being grown on their property near the distillery.

Seems like I read an article about a southern IN farmer that specializes in organic and heirloom, specifically for whiskey.  Or was it just non-GMO.  Can't find that link.  There is a NPR article on BT too.

 

Here is one BT...   https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.distillerytrail.com/blog/buffalo-trace-experiments-homegrown-heirloom-white-mastodon-corn/&ved=0ahUKEwiUi-SN2aXWAhVJsFQKHaKcCmsQFgh_MA8&usg=AFQjCNE9BmZC_7brE2aCYAigjep9c6bRtw

 

Npr- https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/07/04/484670032/from-farm-to-distillery-heirloom-corn-varieties-are-sweet-treasures&ved=0ahUKEwjetpeI3KXWAhWNZFAKHUZXC2AQFgglMAA&usg=AFQjCNH_hFeMpiAksV4C-RM8oFnBLDwp5Q

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TexanBrad   
TexanBrad
Richnimrod   
Richnimrod

Having now tasted the bottle brought to the Gazebo (J. Henry 5-yr. Straight Bourbon; Thanx, Vosgar), I have to say; "It ain't my kinda stuff". 

I'm not sure what I expected; but this didn't come up to my expectations.    Some may like it.    I didn't.    ...Just sayin'...

Edited by Richnimrod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FasterHorses   
FasterHorses

A.D. Laws has a corn but I'm not sure if it's heirloom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2   
tanstaafl2
19 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Having now tasted the bottle brought to the Gazebo (J. Henry 5-yr. Straight Bourbon; Thanx, Vosgar), I have to say; "It ain't my kinda stuff". 

I'm not sure what I expected; but this didn't come up to my expectations.    Some may like it.    I didn't.    ...Just sayin'...

I wasn't quite as down on the bottle Gary brought to KBF but it was a bit uncomplicated and corn forward. Interesting to try but not one I am going to look for as a "must have".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vosgar   
Vosgar
2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I wasn't quite as down on the bottle Gary brought to KBF but it was a bit uncomplicated and corn forward. Interesting to try but not one I am going to look for as a "must have".

I still think you're just being polite. On the plus side......I'm glad I was able to let you try it so that you could save yourself some $$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×