Jack Daniels Rye

kwshannon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Interested to hear what you know about and first tastes of Jack Daniel's new rye.  Announcement indicates this is 70% rye, 18% corn, 12% malted barley, NAS but at least 4 years, has the Lincoln County process, and is a permanent addition to their lineup.  I'm looking forward to trying it, see if is a good option to Rittenhouse or Saz.  Thoughts?

Same, looking forward to this one, the single barrel has been a good pour when I've had it so I'm optimistic about this one.

Did I miss something or is it just new in your area? Been out since early last year as I recall. It is interesting but it helps to like the JD banana thing, although the four year old had a lot less than the white dog or 2 yo "rested rye" version. I don't generally have the "banana gene" but even I could pick it up in this one! Not that it was necessarily bad but definitely a different rye profile.

Edited by tanstaafl2

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Did I miss something or is it just new in your area? Been out since early last year as I recall. It is interesting but it helps to like the JD banana thing, although the four year old had a lot less than the white dog or 2 yo "rested rye" version. I don't generally have the "banana gene" but even I could pick it up in this one! Not that it was necessarily bad but definitely a different rye profile.

The one from last year was the single barrel there is a new batched regular release sub $30 bottle coming out at 90 proof.

Interesting. I like the link from New Delhi!

Think I will stick with the single barrel for now. A little higher proof as well at 94 versus 90.

7 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Interesting. I like the link from New Delhi!

Think I will stick with the single barrel for now. A little higher proof as well at 94 versus 90.

I used the highly technical research technique called first one that popped up in google.

2 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I used the highly technical research technique called first one that popped up in google.

Yeah, I figured as much. Same info, just interesting to see it get press in India. Just shows the reach of JD I suppose.

Edited by tanstaafl2

4 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Yeah, I figured as much.

I have to say I'm shocked the regular bottle isn't 80 or 86 proof, it will be interesting to compare it to the SB Rye, since it's close in proof but based on price those extra proof points are looking to cost twice as much at least in NY/NJ. The single barrel is $50 here and I saw a shelf tag for $26.99 for this one. 

Even better TW shows if for less, though it is in TX so not sure how their prices shake out. Certainly worth picking up a 50ml at least to try it.

http://www.totalwine.com/search/all?text=jack+daniels+straight+rye&tab=fullcatalog

Edited by kevinbrink

Same mash bill as the SB so maybe it is just the barrels that don't make it to SB. Or just a marketing thing using the same make but bottling at less proof and age.

Jim

I found the JD Rye on the shelves at Gomer's in Parkville, MO today. Priced at $27.99+tx and 90 proof, bottled in a very familiar looking piece of glass. The 70% rye gives it a flavor that may seem strange to folks not familiar with rye whiskeys. It's not bad at all but when I can buy WTR101 in a 1L bottle for just a few dollars more, I'll take the WTR first. YMMV.

Count me in for a bottle, I love these new reasonably priced offerings (I'm still searching for Early Times BIB).  I'm not a huge fan of any Jack offering, but, this has the makings of a perfect garage whiskey.  I quite like JB Rye 90 proof for around $20, so this is a welcome addition which I would compare to that.  

• 2 months later...

I just tried this tonight.  I think it's pretty good, but won't blow your mind.  The 70% rye mash bill really tells you a lot what to expect here.  Imagine if you vatted 95% rye (MGP) with enough "barely legal" 51% or so KY rye to equal 70%.  That's how I'd describe it.  I have not purchased any JD products in years.  A great sale price didn't hurt either <$18.

I tried this recently and thought it was well done.  Definitely is in the Jack family with that mellow sweetness and bananas, but appreciate it wasn't bottled at 80 proof.  Not sure I'd grab this over Ritt BIB - but different enough I could see having both around.  It doesn't have the edge you get with most ryes - even the barely legal ones, but it isn't so soft/mellow you wouldn't pick it as a rye (I still get some citrus zip without the bite, and subtle dill pickles on the nose).  

Already spent too much on the JD rye when it was released as a white dog and 2yo.  I will wait for the single barrel full proof version!

Hopefully I will have a while to wait... :huh:

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, beasled said:

Been enjoying the 90 proof rye this evening. In these parts it's a cheap Dickel Rye alternative...

It's been a good while since I had Dickel Rye, but the JD didn't seem all that similar to me, more like a slightly spicier JD, not bad but my impression was you have to like Bananas. 

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

It's been a good while since I had Dickel Rye, but the JD didn't seem all that similar to me, more like a slightly spicier JD, not bad but my impression was you have to like Bananas. 

True they're not that similar other than being from TN (though I know Dickel is MGP). The JD is £25 here compared to the Dickel for £50...

8 hours ago, beasled said:

True they're not that similar other than being from TN (though I know Dickel is MGP). The JD is £25 here compared to the Dickel for £50...

OUCH! What do Redemption and Bulleit cost?

5 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

OUCH! What do Redemption and Bulleit cost?

Redemption was here briefly but we haven't seen any since the rebranding. It was about £35-40. The barrel proof was £100... (!). Bulleit is £25-30 in good places, sometimes £20 on offer. 

We used to get SAOS 7 for 35-50, not many left now though. 

1 minute ago, beasled said:

Redemption was here briefly but we haven't seen any since the rebranding. It was about £35-40. The barrel proof was £100... (!). Bulleit is £25-30 in good places, sometimes £20 on offer. 

We used to get SAOS 7 for 35-50, not many left now though. 

It's crazy how the mark ups are so inconsistent. 

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

It's crazy how the mark ups are so inconsistent. 

Yeah it's rarely just US price + UK tax, unfortunately. But then our Scotch prices aren't bad!

• I like it 1

I bought a bottle of the JD Rye. Very impressed with it. Has a nice, but not too offensive rye character. A nice sipping whiskey.

I've visited this on several occasions now.  I think it is a very nice rye.  In my opinion, the 70% rye mash bill puts it a real sweet spot.  I'm also glad they bottled it at 90, not 80 proof!

13 hours ago, PaulO said:

I've visited this on several occasions now.  I think it is a very nice rye.  In my opinion, the 70% rye mash bill puts it a real sweet spot.  I'm also glad they bottled it at 90, not 80 proof!

Agreed, was pleasantly surprised to see it at 90 proof. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.