Stagg Jr Batches

BigSkyDrams
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 11/23/2017 at 4:39 PM, mpgolfpro said:

Anyone have any insight to share on batch 131.9?  A local liquor store has it for $45 a bottle and I'm very tempted to pick it up.  I've never bought it even though it is fairly accessible in TX.  Most of the time I see it for $60 so $45 seems like a steal if it's a good batch!

I tried this batch last night and like it a lot. Has the most caramel sweetness of any of the Jr. releases I've had. 45 is a great price.

I ended up picking up a bottle at $45.  It is a really solid bourbon!  Neat it is pretty hot but once I added water it was great.  Hits all the classic flavors I look for, caramel, vanilla, toffee, etc.  I'm not sure it can quite hang with ECBP but it's definitely up there.  Glad I picked it up!

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, mpgolfpro said:

I ended up picking up a bottle at $45.  It is a really solid bourbon!  Neat it is pretty hot but once I added water it was great.  Hits all the classic flavors I look for, caramel, vanilla, toffee, etc.  I'm not sure it can quite hang with ECBP but it's definitely up there.  Glad I picked it up!

The first few pours out of a new bottle tend to be pretty hot, but once you get into it and the bottle gets some air time it tends to mellow out and really shine. Saying that, just a few drops of water can do well to temper the heat as well.

Edited by EarthQuake

On 11/24/2017 at 10:40 AM, EarthQuake said:

That's what makes this hobby interesting! Honestly, I tend to prefer the flavor profile of Buffalo Trace Bourbons (Stagg, CEHT, Blanton's, ER, ETL, etc) over Heaven Hill in general. HH bourbons tend to have a funky nutty note to me that I don't agree with, EC (12 year, nas, nas store pick, ECBP), HMK, etc. I didn't get this nutty thing so much with EC18, which I quite liked. I also quite liked Parker's 12 year wheated, and Old Fitz 12 year as well, but again I cant actually find these :mellow: I don't get the nutty thing from Larceny, but I'm really a big fan of that either, it's good for the price but too sweet and one dimensional for me. Saying all that I'm not the biggest fan of BT wheaters either.

Now rye on the other hand, I prefer Rittenhouse to Baby Saz, and Pikesville is a very solid option vs THH, doubly so because I can walk into a LS and buy it nearly any day of the week.

I get what I call 'malt nose' from the ECSB and HMK10, i.e. they remind me of the nose of Scotch.  I also get it from MM. Haven't noticed it in the batch of BP I have.

Edited by rjg1701

The LS had the last batch sit on the shelves for weeks at $46. Now they decided to allocate it 1 per person. Hmmmmm.

• 1 year later...

Bumping an old thread here.  Has anyone seen or heard anything about the next Stagg Jr batch?  Both batches 8 and 10 the last two years were already released in VA by now.  I hadn't seen anything online about a new batch showing up either.

19 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Bumping an old thread here.  Has anyone seen or heard anything about the next Stagg Jr batch?  Both batches 8 and 10 the last two years were already released in VA by now.  I hadn't seen anything online about a new batch showing up either.

The latest batch I had was 11 bottled at 127.9 proof and it was excellent. I really enjoyed 9 as well at 131.9. I’m just upset I couldn’t find a backup. A great nose, a great cherry note throughout and an awesome balanced long finish. Great oily mouth feel. One of the better releases out there.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Adam777 said:

The latest batch I had was 11 bottled at 127.9 proof and it was excellent. I really enjoyed 9 as well at 131.9. I’m just upset I couldn’t find a backup. A great nose, a great cherry note throughout and an awesome balanced long finish. Great oily mouth feel. One of the better releases out there.

Those were the Fall releases of the last two years.  And Batch 9 is generally regarded as the best of the Stagg Jr batches.  I've seen a lot of people even dare to say that Batch 9 competes with Sr.

• I like it 1

On 7/11/2019 at 10:39 PM, JoeTerp said:

Those were the Fall releases of the last two years.  And Batch 9 is generally regarded as the best of the Stagg Jr batches.  I've seen a lot of people even dare to say that Batch 9 competes with Sr.

Dammit!!! 

20190713_195030.jpg

On 7/11/2019 at 9:39 PM, JoeTerp said:

By and large, Stagg Jr batches are very consistent. 9 was a good batch, but so was 7 - about as good in my mind, and 6, 8, and 10 were quite good too, maybe the tiniest fraction behind 7 & 9. That said, GTS comfortably distinguishes itself from even the "best" Stagg Jr batch, at least the SJR batches and GTS years I've had. I have GTS 2017 and 2018 open right now, and have had bar pours from a few other years which I forget now. GTS has depth, complexity, and oak and leather notes that you just don't get in ~8 year old bourbon.

At the end of the day, any Stagg Jr batch you find is going to be pretty darn good bourbon, so I would caution against getting caught up in the "best batch" hype. It's really just fear of missing out silliness.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 1

On 7/13/2019 at 10:42 PM, EarthQuake said:

By and large, Stagg Jr batches are very consistent. 9 was a good batch, but so was 7 - about as good in my mind, and 6, 8, and 10 were quite good too, maybe the tiniest fraction behind 7 & 9. That said, GTS comfortably distinguishes itself from even the "best" Stagg Jr batch, at least the SJR batches and GTS years I've had. I have GTS 2017 and 2018 open right now, and have had bar pours from a few other years which I forget now. GTS has depth, complexity, and oak and leather notes that you just don't get in ~8 year old bourbon.

At the end of the day, any Stagg Jr batch you find is going to be pretty darn good bourbon, so I would caution against getting caught up in the "best batch" hype. It's really just fear of missing out silliness.

I wasn't trying to hype up certain batches, but the near universal praise I've seen from a lot of respected opinions for Batch 9 does have me curious.  I've only tried Batches 3, 4, 5, and 10 and all of them were very good to me.  Stagg Jr is always undeniably cherry cola to me and I agree that it's very different the GTS that I have had.

Either way I was more curious if there was a spring release this year or if it's being skipped and only released in the fall this year.  Usually it's been out in VA by now and I haven't even seen any unknown proofs start showing up on SB / Facebook / reddit yet.

7 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

I wasn't trying to hype up certain batches, but the near universal praise I've seen from a lot of respected opinions for Batch 9 does have me curious.  I've only tried Batches 3, 4, 5, and 10 and all of them were very good to me.  Stagg Jr is always undeniably cherry cola to me and I agree that it's very different the GTS that I have had.

Either way I was more curious if there was a spring release this year or if it's being skipped and only released in the fall this year.  Usually it's been out in VA by now and I haven't even seen any unknown proofs start showing up on SB / Facebook / reddit yet.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to suggest that you personally were hyping it up, just trying to say, don't fall for what the flippers on the secondary market are talking up.

I totally get the cherry cola thing in Stagg Jr. As far as I know there was a spring release this year, but I think we got it in somewhat late here in Iowa (June?). Though that could have been the fall 2018 release, it wouldn't surprise me if we're that far behind.

I’m having some Batch #9 tonight. It’s hands down my favorite Stagg Jr.  The cherry flavors are so good and intense. 

8BD4FCBC-4591-46A7-83AF-975A9A6EDBA1.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.