Stagg Jr Batches

BigSkyDrams
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Is there any general consensus on which of the Stagg Jr. batches rise above the rest, or do folks find them to be pretty consistent profile and quality (at least with the later batches)? 

My reason for asking is I've noted some of the older batches, going back to #4 (132.2) in my area, but would like to know if there's a standout I should keep an eye out for.  For some reason, they don't seem to fly off the shelves here like some other bottles.  I had a few different bottles at an earlier stage of my bourbon journey, when I didn't really pay too much attention to making tasting notes, differences between batches, etc..  Though I recall enjoying them all, I don't have an accurate way of remembering when or which they were.  Thanks.

Edited by BigSkyDrams

There are differing opinions out there, but everybody agrees that batch #1 was a one-note hot mess, to be avoided.

Everything else I've bought and tried impressed me so far. BUT, I wouldn't say the batches are very consistent, say, some heavy on cherry, some brown sugar. They are all good, but slightly different.

I pretty much second what Kane said. I bough a bottle of batch #1 when it first came out. Kane was right on with his description. All heat and no flavor. I shied away from it after that. Then I was able to have a pour from batch #3. It was great. I've since bought bottles from batches 3-8, and while they may differ slightly, IMHO, they're all pretty darned good.  I'd say go for it unless it was from batch #1. 

Cheers! Joe

Agreed. 1 and 2 have not been well reviewed. The first bottle I bought was batch 4 and it was my favorite at the time when I did a blind SBS with batch 3. I bunkered several batch 4s. Since then, I've had the later batches and they've gotten very consistent. Excellent underrated bourbon. Most people can't go wrong with batch 3 and later. There are some fans of 1 and 2, but there are less of those guys. 

Thanks guys. Most stores in my area seem to have worked through the batches as they were released, and I generally see them priced at $60 or above.  But another store, inexplicably, has a whole row priced at $50. The first several bottles in the row at least are the #4, so I figure I'll have to pick up a couple at that price.

It used to be impossible to find this one on the shelves, let alone for retail, at least around New England. $60+ was reasonable for me back then. Nowadays it seems to have lost its LE status, it is plentiful, and $50 is the normal going price. Also, if you have access to a Total Wine they manage to stock it at $39 with their usual black magic.

Yeah, it's odd how consumer perceptions can be so .... hmm, arbitrary? When I bought my first couple bottles it was the same deal, perceived as a somewhat rare LE, but for whatever reason (maybe the terrible reviews on batch #1?) that perception just kind of faded. I figure that's why this store is still stocking the #4, and at such a (relatively) low price: they obviously haven't been able to unload it. I usually never buy from there, because they're one of the only local shops I consider to be gougers. For example, their blantons is priced at $99.99, bookers at $110, whereas every other local LS has them at max $65 and $80-90, respectively.

How do you determine the batch number of a bottle? I bought a bottle for my birthday back in July and can't find anything on the labels. However, very near the bottom of the bottle are two separate sets of letters and numbers that are really faint. Are those sets the indicators I should be looking at and if so, what's the code?

I've had batches 3-5 and all were very good in my opinion.  I think the general consensus is that 3+ were all pretty good (and fairly consistent).

1 hour ago, Postal Grunt said:

How do you determine the batch number of a bottle? I bought a bottle for my birthday back in July and can't find anything on the labels. However, very near the bottom of the bottle are two separate sets of letters and numbers that are really faint. Are those sets the indicators I should be looking at and if so, what's the code?

Each batch has a different bottling proof/ABV. I'm sure there's a list around here in a thread that will give you the info you need. 

1 hour ago, Postal Grunt said:

Here you go:

Batch #1 -- 134.4

Batch #2 -- 128.7

Batch #3 -- 132.1

Batch #4 -- 132.2

Batch #5 -- 129.7

Batch #6 -- 132.5

Batch #7 -- 130.0

Batch #8 -- 129.5

I've only had batch 7 and 8 but those were very consistent and very good. I also did a side by side with CEHT barrel proof (same mash bill and supposedly similar age) and found the Stagg JR (batch 8) to be slightly better, good news as CEHT is $80 if you can find it at retail (I've only seen one bottle in my area in the last 2 years). Stagg JR isn't exactly easy to find here either, but I've managed to grab 3 bottles in the last 6 months or so.

Edited by EarthQuake

4 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

I've only had batch 7 and 8 but those were very consistent and very good. I also did a side by side with CEHT barrel proof (same mash bill and supposedly similar age) and found the Stagg JR (batch 8) to be slightly better, good news as CEHT is $80 if you can find it at retail (I've only seen one bottle in my area in the last 2 years). Stagg JR isn't exactly easy to find here either, but I've managed to grab 3 bottles in the last 6 months or so.

I did a SBS of the last two Stagg JR and the last CEHT BP, I ranked them SJR #8, CEHT then SJR#7. So I more or less agree with this.

22 hours ago, Kane said:

Here you go:

Batch #1 -- 134.4

Batch #2 -- 128.7

Batch #3 -- 132.1

Batch #4 -- 132.2

Batch #5 -- 129.7

Batch #6 -- 132.5

Batch #7 -- 130.0

Batch #8 -- 129.5

Thanks for the information. My bottle is from Batch#7 and it's a dangerous pour. It seems to go down faster than bourbons of lesser proof.

• 2 months later...

Anyone have any insight to share on batch 131.9?  A local liquor store has it for $45 a bottle and I'm very tempted to pick it up.  I've never bought it even though it is fairly accessible in TX.  Most of the time I see it for $60 so $45 seems like a steal if it's a good batch!

1 hour ago, mpgolfpro said:

Anyone have any insight to share on batch 131.9?  A local liquor store has it for $45 a bottle and I'm very tempted to pick it up.  I've never bought it even though it is fairly accessible in TX.  Most of the time I see it for $60 so $45 seems like a steal if it's a good batch!

I’ve not had that Batch, but I’d buy a few if I saw it for that price. The general consensus seems to be that every Batch since the first (possibly second as well?) have been very good. It’s my favorite barrel proof (outside the upper tier bourbons)

I have batch 7 opened which has been one of my favorite pours. Holds up very well on ice. I also have ECBP A117 and haven't thought to do a SBS until now.  Anyone think the Stagg Jr. Batch 7 is just as good or better than ECBP A117? Just thinking back off the top of my head I feel like the batch 7 was more memorable to me than the A117. 

I think Stagg Jr (batch 7 or 8, I haven't had previous batches) is quite a bit better than ECBP, but then ECBP isn't really my thing. It's sort of weird to see ECBP #1 on that best whiskey list and not even see Stagg in the top #20. Oh well, if that means I actually have a chance to buy a few bottles every year, all the better. 

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 1

At this point, I buy stagg jr. with confidence. They’ve been consistently good for a couple years now. 

35 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

I think Stagg Jr (batch 7 or 8, I haven't had previous batches) is quite a bit better than ECBP, but then ECBP isn't really my thing. It's sort of weird to see ECBP #1 on that best whiskey list and not even see Stagg in the top #20. Oh well, if that means I actually have a chance to buy a few bottles every year, all the better. 

Exactly what I was thinking but I'm no expert.

Edited by Bourbinvestor
  • I like it 1

I can't say I have ever had a batch of Stagg JR, or CEHT BP that I enjoyed more than ECBP.

Edited by kevinbrink
  • I like it 1

I tend to lean CEHT BP and Stagg jr over ECBP, though there are times where nothing will do other than ECBP. Back to topic though, I agree that Stagg jr is a solid buy at this point, I've bought every batch since batch 4  and theyre all great, at this point theyll have to prove me wrong by screwing up rather than earn my trust at this point and I'll continue to buy each batch blind.

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I can't say I have ever had a batch of Stagg JR, or CEHT BP that I enjoyed more than ECBP.

That's what makes this hobby interesting! Honestly, I tend to prefer the flavor profile of Buffalo Trace Bourbons (Stagg, CEHT, Blanton's, ER, ETL, etc) over Heaven Hill in general. HH bourbons tend to have a funky nutty note to me that I don't agree with, EC (12 year, nas, nas store pick, ECBP), HMK, etc. I didn't get this nutty thing so much with EC18, which I quite liked. I also quite liked Parker's 12 year wheated, and Old Fitz 12 year as well, but again I cant actually find these :mellow: I don't get the nutty thing from Larceny, but I'm really a big fan of that either, it's good for the price but too sweet and one dimensional for me. Saying all that I'm not the biggest fan of BT wheaters either.

Now rye on the other hand, I prefer Rittenhouse to Baby Saz, and Pikesville is a very solid option vs THH, doubly so because I can walk into a LS and buy it nearly any day of the week.

• I like it 1

On 11/23/2017 at 10:41 PM, EarthQuake said:

I thought I preferred Stagg Jr. over ECBP, but then I had ECBP Batch 9 and Stagg Jr batch 5 side to side.  I found the ECBP to be pretty far ahead in my tastes.  I still really like Stagg Jr. though and would easily pick up one of the new batches if I found it around (probably going to be a while in the VA).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.