After finding some Antique 107

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Welcome to bourbon and to the forum. My own experience, which I think is not dissimilar to others, is that my palate evolved. In the beginning I was just looking for smooth drinking, so things like Blanton's and Basil Hayden appealed to me. Very little burn. As I developed a liking for spiciness and bold flavors, my tastes went to higher rye bourbons and higher proofs. In the beginning, those flavors and proof points would have overwhelmed me and I wouldn't get any enjoyment out of them. Now, I enjoy them. I also enjoy the mellower pours like W12 a lot, though I've moved on from BH completely and only feel like reaching for Blanton's every so often. You'll develop your favorites and dogs like everybody else. 

TLDR: recognize that your tastes will likely evolve and keep an open mind. 

19 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^^I find the current (post label change) WSR to be quite improved over the batches from a few years ago.  

I also find find this to only hold true if pouring neat, as it does not take added water well (IMO). 

For $17-19.99, one could do much worse.

Oh, this is so nice to see.  I bought a handle of WSR last year some time (the last WSR of any size on the shelf) and found it just "ok" and nothing like what I remembered it was like say 5 years ago.  On impulse and at a good price, I picked up one of the new label WSR 750s in late AUG early SEP (I forget when).  I've hesitated opening it for fear, lingering to be sure, that it'll disappoint.  I am reassured by your post, Paddy.  THANKS!  BTW, @ 90 proof, I'd not add water, and I have a pile of MM minis I bought on sale when I want a wheated for cocktails.  This whole 750 will be consumed neat.  Over time, of course.B)

Edit - The one time I had a shot at the new label OWA, it was GONE.  That's when I bought the WSR 750.  I still have three older (but no paper label) OWAs on the back of the bunker shelves.  If I ever see a new label OWA for under $50 locally, I will do a SBS.  (He says with no conviction.  i.e. - I'm woofing.)

Edited by Harry in WashDC
gotta add something close to thread-like, so ...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.