Barrell Batch #12

BigSkyDrams
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Is it worth $94? I know the #11 won a lot of praise... but that's pretty pricey, considering I could get 2-3 good to awesome bottles bit same price?

I really like Barrell Bourbon, I think I have had 5 or 6 different batches, 006 and 011 were great and I kick myself for not getting more of both, $94 seems high but their prices are going up, they are getting great reviews, their Rum Batch 001 just won awards as well.

So I think my point is give it a try before its gone, Batch 011 is already $100 plus if you can even find it, in my opinion Barrell products are about to break out big time.

$94 seems steep but every market seems different, I've paid between $69.99 and $79.99 for the batches I have bought (3, 4, 6, 7b, 8, & 10) 11 came and went pretty fast but aside from one place that marked it up to $100 after the reviews was still at $79.99 everywhere else, same with 12.  I tend to try and buy at $70 but have bought repeat bottles (4 & 6) at $80.

There is tons of 7b out there, all of the private single barrels I have ever seen were 7b and just when you think a store clears it off the shelf it more pops up. 

I tried the batch 6 several times due to the positive reviews but just couldn't get it to work for me. I'll try a taste of other batches if someone I know has a bottle but I won't buy one myself before confirming I like it first. 

Yeah, it had kind of flown under my radar as a brand for awhile. I think my local place had been getting a few batches here and there, and stocking them at lower prices.  But then when the #11 won at the SF spirits comp, the store reacted by punching up the price on the batch #12... I'm still torn in whether to pull the trigger on this one. I'm sure it's good, but when I can get a two Stagg Jrs or three Eagle Rares for about the same price, it's a tough sell... thanks for the feedback though!

4 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Yeah, it had kind of flown under my radar as a brand for awhile. I think my local place had been getting a few batches here and there, and stocking them at lower prices.  But then when the #11 won at the SF spirits comp, the store reacted by punching up the price on the batch #12... I'm still torn in whether to pull the trigger on this one. I'm sure it's good, but when I can get a two Stagg Jrs or three Eagle Rares for about the same price, it's a tough sell... thanks for the feedback though!

If you want to get some basic context for how the Tennessee batches taste I would say the best thing to do would be to buy A Dickel 9yr Private barrel or Kirkland 7 yr Straight Tennessee Bourbon Whiskey. Not to say that they are the same but if you don't like the profile on those I'm not sure the Barrell Tennessee batches would be your thing.  Both are, IMHO, both pretty solid values anyway, good age and proof for the coin.

Is 012 another Dickle batch (a quick google suggest that it is)? If so, I would make sure you really like Dickle before picking one up. I have the 008 which is 9 year Dickle and I am not a fan of it - it tastes like a more intense Dickle No. 12 to my palate - a flavor profile I do not enjoy. For $80 or even less I think there are a lot better bourbons on the market. Then again, if you're a Dickle fan, you may think it is great.

I'll take 2x bottles of Stagg Jr any day instead.

Edited by EarthQuake

13 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Found a shelf full of batch 001 for $59. Anyone a buyer at that price? It was aged 7 years.

Batch 1 was a 5yo, unless I'm missing something: https://www.barrellbourbon.com/batch1

I haven't tried batch 1, but at $59 I'd buy a single bottle to see if I like it. If it wowed me, I'd go back for more.

6 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Batch 1 was a 5yo, unless I'm missing something: https://www.barrellbourbon.com/batch1

I haven't tried batch 1, but at $59 I'd buy a single bottle to see if I like it. If it wowed me, I'd go back for more.

Youre correct.. what i found was Barrell WHISKEY batch 001. Very similar bottle from same company.

10 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

I'll take 2x bottles of Stagg Jr any day instead.

I'm not too familiar with the Dickle profile (something I should probably become acquainted with at a lower price point in the near future) so I'm leaning in this direction. Thnx!

Edited by BigSkyDrams

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

Youre correct.. what i found was Barrell WHISKEY batch 001. Very similar bottle from same company.

I found BW001 to be quite enjoyable.  Enough so, that I bunkered a few away.  I think (at the time) it was running mid $50's around here...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.