Evan Williams single barrel? More like EWW or EWB

JPK
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey Bourbon Buds!

Would you say Evan Williams single barrel tastes more like EWB or EWW?

I happen to enjoy EWB quite a lot...best bourbon for the $$$ I've found.

For whatever reason I just can't seem to enjoy EWW.

I know lots of people talk about the single barrel being good......but maybe they really like the white label.

I'd rather not spend about double the price of EWB for a weak proof EWW...lol

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

John

EWB was our basic bourbon mixer (and my occasional "under 100" neat sipper) for years.  When EWW became readily available here, I did buy it although I was disappointed for some reason; still, I replaced the EWB with it in most cocktails calling for bourbon.  When JB BIB came out, I stopped buying EWW and now use EWB or JB BIB depending on the drink and the consumers thereof.

I also bought multiples of each year's EWSiB up to two years ago.  It was a combination of age drop and my moving to BIBs (and up) while cutting the size and frequency of pours (as hard as that is to believeB)).  I still like them, but the last two releases just weren't enough better than good old EWB for the price.  So instead of buying even one of each, I bought a handle of EWB and then bought a decanter for it.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
to remove an extra "instead"

EWSB is more like EWB, but with a few more years of age and complexity of flavor. Most of the recent vintages have been around eight years old, but earlier vintages were closer to 10 years. I bought quite a few bottles of a 2008 vintage barrel that was about 8 1/2 years old that was very good...actually better than some of the earlier vintages that I have, so age after a certain point doesn't always make it better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just picked up a 05 EWSB. The store had just the one 05. They had probably 6 of the 06 EWSB. I may swing by a get a couple of those to bunker.

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...

I just found out tonite about the EWSB being not only 8 yo, but also 86 proof! I guess I have been living under a rock for the last couple years. Honestly though, EWB is my everyday pour, and going back to the 2005 EWSB, I found it wasn't worth twice the price for not much better whiskey. Now, if you can go back to the 1994-5 versions, where they were a full 10 years, and over 90 proof, those were great vintages.  But then, it occurred to me that even those were most likely Very Rare Old Heaven Hill BIB that was relabeled, doubled in price, and watered down.  Around the same time those vintages of EWSB came to market in '04-'05, VROHH disappeared.  At the time, VROHH was $12 a fifth, and EWSB was $25. And I can assure you, it was a beautiful expression.   As much as I have lamented not having a house label 8 yo 86 proofer like we had in the old days, I don't think I'll be buying anymore EWSB.

55 minutes ago, wku88 said:

. . .   As much as I have lamented not having a house label 8 yo 86 proofer like we had in the old days, I don't think I'll be buying anymore EWSB.

To paraphrase Captain Corcoran of the HMS Pinafore: Never, never.

Crew's response:  What, never?

Captain: No, never.

Crew: What, never?

Captain: Hardly ever.

While CPT Corcoran was referring to sea sickness, I find the exchange apropos buying EWSB.

Gilbert and Sullivan still live.  Just saying . . .

18 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

To paraphrase Captain Corcoran of the HMS Pinafore: Never, never.

Crew's response:  What, never?

Captain: No, never.

Crew: What, never?

Captain: Hardly ever.

While CPT Corcoran was referring to sea sickness, I find the exchange apropos buying EWSB.

Gilbert and Sullivan still live.  Just saying . . .

True. I should have added..."anytime soon".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.