J.P. Wiser's

Megawatt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This brand is fast becoming one of my favourites.  Their limited-edition Dissertation bottling is one of the finest whiskies I've tasted, and I recently cracked a bottle of their Canada One Fifty blend.  Now I see they have two new whiskies hitting the shelves in Ontario: Triple Cask Rye, and Fifteen Year Old.  

I would also recommend Legacy and Double Still Rye.  I understand they have some different bottlings in the US.  Anyone care to comment on these?

On 9/18/2017 at 8:17 PM, portwood said:

you missed one: they are also releasing a 35 year old with the Wiser's label

... and in the same family:

Lot no cask strength 12 year old

Gooderham & Worts 17 year old

https://torontowhiskysociety.ca/2017/08/30/northern-border-collection-tasting-event-at-the-drake-devonshire/

Yowzers, those all sound great!  That Pike Creek is also appealing, though I generally find their whisky a little too subtle.

On 9/18/2017 at 8:17 PM, portwood said:

I've heard good things about the lot 40 rye. The cask strength at 12 years for $70CAD. I might need to border jump when I get back home to get one.

1 hour ago, Megawatt said:

Yowzers, those all sound great!

Indeed!

Ten years too late to the higher strength/age stated party (unfortunately I didn't say "no additives", "no added colour"*, "no chill filtration") but going in the right direction and better late than never. Kudos to Don Livermore & Corby's for seeing the light.

*possible they haven't taken advantage of the 1/11 rule but we can't be sure since they have not committed to say it on the label.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2017 at 9:10 PM, portwood said:

Indeed!

Ten years too late to the higher strength/age stated party (unfortunately I didn't say "no additives", "no added colour"*, "no chill filtration") but going in the right direction and better late than never. Kudos to Don Livermore & Corby's for seeing the light.

*possible they haven't taken advantage of the 1/11 rule but we can't be sure since they have not committed to say it on the label.

I think it will be another ten years before we start seeing "colouring-free" and "non-chillfiltered" on Canadian labels.   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.