Jefferson's Grand Selection Chateau Pichon Baron

Bourbinvestor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hope it's better than the Rum Cask and the Pritchard Hill Cabernet finish, both of which I did not enjoy. I bought the Rum Cask wish I hadn't.

25 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I'll stick with my hand crafted and expertly finished Southern Comfort/Boone's Farm blend. :)

HA!   I almost spit a mouthful of my pour back through my nose upon reading this one, Paddy!   ...And, that woulda been uncomfortable, I'm certain.   HA!

41 minutes ago, Bourbinvestor said:

Care to explain why?

The history of the Jeffersons brand is well documented here on SB.  Off the top of my head, in short, several years ago, the brand came out with sourced 17 and 18 year old versions in their Presidential product line that were (purportedly) from the Stizel Weller distillery, or at least SW barrels.  These were generally well received.  Subsequently, other sourced bourbons and ryes ranging from 21 to 30 years old came out in the Presidential line, not from SW, to varying degrees of reception.  Since then, Jeffersons has resorted to ridiculous gimmicks with what I would consider unjustiably inflated prices.  The aged at sea is a prime example.  Put a few barrels on a boat or barge, most likely tied to a pier for a few months, and then charge a premium because "aging it at sea" somehow makes it better?!? Please!  The brand gives no information on the source of the whisky, how long it was aged, or how it was aged at sea.  In other words, it's a gimmick to slap a premium price on an average NAS sourced bourbon of unknown provenance. I for one will not be complicit in such deuchebaggery.  There are a lot better ways to spend your bourbon budget.  

Edited by jvd99
  • I like it 1

Jvd99 thanks! I'm new here and haven't scoured every page to learn the history of every documented brand on this site...yet! I know people love to hate Orphan Barrel but I still think about buying when I come across one. Is there a bottle out there that you would say is worth the gimmick? High West Boureye mixing bourbon and rye? A specific Barrell batch? 

6 minutes ago, flahute said:

Bourbon is for drinking, not investing.

I invest money. I drink bourbon. That's why I was wondering if anyone knew if that Jefferson's was any good. So far nobody actually knows. 

1 minute ago, Bourbinvestor said:

I invest money. I drink bourbon. That's why I was wondering if anyone knew if that Jefferson's was any good. So far nobody actually knows. 

Though nobody here yet has tried the whiskey (that we know of) we do know things about the source whiskey that Jefferson's uses in the finishing experiments they've been rolling out the past two years - it's young and of very average quality. Finishing it in a wine barrel, no matter how high the quality of the wine, may make the whiskey taste better, but it can only do so much. Couple that with the price being charged, and it's easy to determine that it's not worth buying. Jefferson's ran out of good whiskey a long time ago. Their reputation is hanging on by a thread at this point.

7 minutes ago, flahute said:

Though nobody here yet has tried the whiskey (that we know of) we do know things about the source whiskey that Jefferson's uses in the finishing experiments they've been rolling out the past two years - it's young and of very average quality. Finishing it in a wine barrel, no matter how high the quality of the wine, may make the whiskey taste better, but it can only do so much. Couple that with the price being charged, and it's easy to determine that it's not worth buying. Jefferson's ran out of good whiskey a long time ago. Their reputation is hanging on by a thread at this point.

Thanks. That is some helpful insight! 

The folks at HW are another story altogether. They've always been up front about the source(s) of their whiskey and have a proven track record with the results of their aging and blending. Jefferson's, not so much.

I would say you could safely pick up Barrell and High West products and know they will be good quality, I wouldn't spend over $80 on the barrell stuff though I typically buy them when they are $69.99, batches 4, 6 and 8 are some of my favorites and the last three 11, 12 & 13 have been well received.  6 and 11 get the most hype.  I have yet to have any High West product I didn't enjoy, the Barrel Select store picks I've had have been really great and unique, either finished or aged additional time and bottled at a higher proof.

Bourbinvestor - I would try the High West products first.  Bourye in particular is very good.  I'm not a huge fan of the Barrell line, although many here like them a lot.  Not a fan of the Orphan Barrels either, more because I think the parent company, Diageo, is kind of shady with marketing of the entire lineup, however, they are a good way for new bourbon enthusiasts to taste older bourbons at a fairly reasonable price.  It may be your only chance to own a 20+ year bourbon.  

• I like it 1

Another vote for High West, I go there whenever in Utah, Bourye, Campfire and Midwinters Night Dram are fixtures at my house, great guys and great products.

Not only is HW delicious, but Double Rye! is only $26.99 at a couple local places near me.   Probably the best bargain in the store. :)

I have 2 bottles of Yippee Ki-Yay, Boureye & I actually found a Silver OMG Pure Rye the other day when the high west website says it is completely sold out.  I really like the Yippee Ki-Yay and the Boureye.  I swear if you smell the glass a little while after you finish the last sip of YKY and is has dried out a little it smells exactly like pure maple syrup.  I haven't tried the OMG yet.  Frankly, I don't really understand what it is so I want to learn about it before I try it.  I just knew I liked High West and I knew it was "sold out" according to their website so I bought a couple bottles.  They were only $36.  I've haven't seen Midwinter Night's Dram anywhere.

5 hours ago, Bourbinvestor said:

I've haven't seen Midwinter Night's Dram anywhere.

It's not the release season yet -- it'll be available very soon in October iirc. Otherwise it's abundant compared to other LE-designated whiskey and can be had without connections or raffles.

8 minutes ago, Kane said:

It's not the release season yet -- it'll be available very soon in October iirc. Otherwise it's abundant compared to other LE-designated whiskey and can be had without connections or raffles.

Still know a couple stores in NJ that have last years on the shelf not even terribly priced at $85

Just now, kevinbrink said:

Still know a couple stores in NJ that have last years on the shelf not even terribly priced at $85

I'd grab those without a second thought. If I remember correctly $85 was the msrp for acts 1 & 2 anyway, no? This has become one of my favorite pours of all time, and I'll be sure to hoard Act 5 this time around.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.