Great store selections help (kentucky)

bourbon4all
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am headed to the motherland to go to my favorite distilleries. While there I am going to try and pick up store selections and so far I have decided I'm going to packages and more and am going to try to get up to old town liquor. I am going to have the wife and kiddo or I would just go to the different liquor stores and try em all but I won't have time (or patience). 

Does anyone know of any store selections that are worth seeking out?

Pm or post here and thanks. I'm pretty confident in my trip selections made almost entirely from Sb advice/recommendations 

Oh and for distilleries I'm going to Four Roses warehouse and Heaven Hill day one. Day two is a stop at Four Roses Distillery, Wild Turkey, and Buffalo Trace. Staying in a bnb in Bardstown

I also was curious if anyone knows if at heaven hill you can upgrade the basic tour to include connoisseur whiskey?

3 hours ago, bourbon4all said:

I also was curious if anyone knows if at heaven hill you can upgrade the basic tour to include connoisseur whiskey?

Not when I was there they were only available as two separate experiences

On 9/20/2017 at 11:18 AM, kevinbrink said:

Not when I was there they were only available as two separate experiences

hmm makes the decision awful tough doesn't it. Whiskey you can't buy (financially or otherwise) or a tour of one of your favorite distilleries rickhouses

2 hours ago, bourbon4all said:

hmm makes the decision awful tough doesn't it. Whiskey you can't buy (financially or otherwise) or a tour of one of your favorite distilleries rickhouses

I've done the tasting twice now, once it was EC, ECBP, Larceny, HH Select Stock, and Pikesville and the other time was EC, ECBP, HM 10 SB BIB, 25 Year Old "Bad Whiskey" and Pikesville. The second time I kinda would have rather done the tour. I would say that knowing what was being poured might make the decision easier. Either way only one pour each time was something that quite literally wasn't already in my liquor cabinet. 

Day 2 will be rushed.  I did BT, WR, 4R, and WT in one day, and only saw the gift shop at 4R and WT.  Could have spent a whole day at BT...

No specific input on store picks to look for, but pay attention to both 4R gift shops.  They have some awesome Elliott Select bottles.  Dont be afraid to ask for a tasting of those,  at least at the distillery.  They had 3 when I was there, and they gave me a private tasting.  Even met Brent in the process.

The HH tour will open doors for purchases.  They had a special purchase when I was there only available to those on tours.

I bought at Liquor Barn too.  Good selection in a large store environment.  Not a small, corner LS...

10 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

Day 2 will be rushed.  I did BT, WR, 4R, and WT in one day, and only saw the gift shop at 4R and WT.  Could have spent a whole day at BT...

No specific input on store picks to look for, but pay attention to both 4R gift shops.  They have some awesome Elliott Select bottles.  Dont be afraid to ask for a tasting of those,  at least at the distillery.  They had 3 when I was there, and they gave me a private tasting.  Even met Brent in the process.

The HH tour will open doors for purchases.  They had a special purchase when I was there only available to those on tours.

I bought at Liquor Barn too.  Good selection in a large store environment.  Not a small, corner LS...

Thanks for the input, on day two the stop at four roses distillery will only be a stop at gift shop, so the only tours will be wild turkey and buffalo trace (I wanted to do the hard hat tour but it isn't available on Sunday).  Which even this is pushing it with a pregnant wife and a three year old I'm sure. My list of stops has slowly but surely been dwindled down to what I think is reasonable. I do still have the liquor barn in Elizabethtown on my list of liquor store stops (which I cut in half last night). Again thanks

Check out their store selections.  I live in E'town and they have had some good ones before (MM 46, KCSB, RR).  

If you go to either one of the Four Roses distilleries(Lawrenceburg /Coxes Creek), they should have a single barrel pick in the GS. Usually they are $72. When I was there for the Mellow Moments, I think they had an OESV? 

Usually the big stores in Louisville (Liquor Barn, Total Wine) has some decent store picks. Some of the smaller stores (Party Mart, Party Center, Westport Wine and Whiskey, Old Town) has some good picks as well

Edited by brbnmafia

was just at HH last Friday.  You no longer HAVE to take the tour to purchase.  and its not really a tour anyway. Its a video and tasting.  I was able to get the last of this years parkers, a grenade and a William Heavenhill without taking the "tour"

Also, id suggest you go to Willett since its right next door and opens at 9:30.  If they put out any Family Estate Bourbon, it will go very quickly.  They don't put that out every day, but I got lucky.  Its worth trying and you can still be at HH when they open their doors at 10a. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.