What Bourbon(s) Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2017 Edition.

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have been wanting to try this one for a while now. Finally picked up one tonight. A few buddies and I did some damage on this bottle already tonight. It will definatly become a staple in my cabinet.

15062281205711638842752.jpg

Bought a bottle each of John J. Bowman Single Barrel and JD Single Barrel, Barrel Proof. I'm not a fan of most JD stuff, but the positive reviews of this bottling led me to the purchase.

bowman_JDSiB.jpg

Edited by Journeyman

Bought a bottle each of John J. Bowman Single Barrel and JD Single Barrel, Barrel Proof. I'm not a fan of most JD stuff, but the positive reviews of this bottling led me to the purchase.

bowman_JDSiB.thumb.jpg.a96daccc7375796a3a5e556d7913a7ab.jpg

I'm a big fan of the JD SB BP!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

I'm not a fan of most JD stuff, but the positive reviews of this bottling led me to the purchase.

The JD with honey is very good, especially when mixed with some unsweetened ice tea as I'll do when the Nats and Mets are on this afternoon. 

A trip to Florida and brought back some good ones that I haven't seen before..excited to give them all a try.  

image.jpg

• I like it 1

Yesterday I picked up a handle each of two staples I always keep stocked, WT101 and GD12. Also, I couldn't resist a 1.5 liter bottle of Chimay blue. 

Edited by Patrick_OKC
added Chimay

Picked up three more of these today with the explicit intent of having (and finishing) them over this upcoming holiday season (which, we realize, is right around the corner).

$43.99 a piece. Huzzah

unnamed.thumb.jpg.0f798f459305cfbeb49f9c54535f6971.jpg

I landed early from another business trip and hit a few liquor stores on my way home. I was surprised to find the Abraham Bowman #15 still sitting on the shelf after almost a year and couldn't pass on the $8.99 375mL WSR, especially after seeing 750mL bottles of it for $89.99 in Manhattan (next to $299.99 bottles of W12). When I got back to the shop, I found the Al Young bottle had arrived during my absence. I was lucky to win the rights to purchase it at MSRP from an online retailer.

IMG_7653.thumb.jpg.64960aaaf031ccb5d6a16eafe19f5e9a.jpg

IMG_7654.thumb.jpg.ad967610274a7c5b805d4d22cf717204.jpg

On 9/23/2017 at 10:48 PM, KyleCBreese said:

Thanks to El Vino for pointing me in the direction of these bottles. I had been saving my last bottle of this 11.5 year OBSK for a while. 

Anyone have any insight as to why a barrel select would show up at a store that didn't select it, 4 years later? I know Canals has no problem selling their selections, so I was thinking it must have been lost at the distributor and found years later and offered to whoever wanted it.

I know of others stores that have picks from other places (Clifton Commons Wine and Liquor almost always does) but most of the time they pull of the side label (which sucks in the case of 4R) or try to pull of the gold sticker in the case of BT products, I'm guessing the distributor keeps some cases to the side, or reallocates what a store can't sell. 

23 hours ago, Tburg said:

A trip to Florida and brought back some good ones that I haven't seen before..excited to give them all a try.  

image.jpg

Please call back if no answer on my phone. I just left for a few days in FL!!!! Very nice!

Need to pass the three trials to be initiated into the cult.

All barrel proof

OESO 10yr 9m

OESQ 9yr 6m

OESF 11yr 2m

I hope I don't regret this.

(Unrelated pour of Stranahan's on the side.)

IMG_20170925_212451.thumb.jpg.4146e474b3f895a08420731f4dd68ced.jpg

Edited by Kane

6 minutes ago, Kane said:

All barrel proof

OESO 10yr 9m

OESQ 9yr 6m

OESF 11yr 2m

The cult sees your OE's and approves. 

14 hours ago, Kane said:

All barrel proof

OESO 10yr 9m

OESQ 9yr 6m

OESF 11yr 2m

Where are you located Kane??

I know, not a bourbon, but I'm intrigued on the Toasted Barrel Finish Rye. TW just landed a bunch of these, so I picked up one.  Can't wait to try:

IMG_0188.JPG

The Tuesday delivery to my Va ABC brought some BT Bourbon Cream ($19.99).  There were 3 on the shelf and 2 when I left the store.

IMG_0021.JPG

2 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Where are you located Kane??

I collected these from various places in the Boston & Cambridge area. I have no idea how proficient these stores are at picking barrels though, it was a gamble, I took the risk at $50-60 a bottle.

9 minutes ago, DCFan said:

The Tuesday delivery to my Va ABC brought some BT Bourbon Cream ($19.99).  There were 3 on the shelf and 2 when I left the store.

Mmm, I could kill for coffee + Baileys, and I am dying to try the bourbon cream combo, too. I saw this bottle only once in my entire life, went to grab something else, came back 10mins later on my way out and it was already gone. Is it that rare? Or should I hunt it down when traveling outside MA?

9 minutes ago, Kane said:

Mmm, I could kill for coffee + Baileys, and I am dying to try the bourbon cream combo, too. I saw this bottle only once in my entire life, went to grab something else, came back 10mins later on my way out and it was already gone. Is it that rare? Or should I hunt it down when traveling outside MA?

You inspired me. I fired up the Keurig, popped in a Dunkin Donuts decaf and topped it off with a healthy pour of the buffalo!!! :D

As to the rarity, I've never even heard of this until I started posting here last year. And this is the first bottle I've ever seen.

11 minutes ago, Kane said:

A year or two ago this stuff was super allocated and couldn't be found.  Now I see it everywhere after I've bunkered 3 or 4 bottles and have an open one in the fridge.  It is crazy delicious. Pour some in your coffee or hot chocolate.  Try it over ice cream.  I like just a bit of it straight or on the rocks for dessert as well.

5 minutes ago, DCFan said:

You inspired me. I fired up the Keurig, popped in a Dunkin Donuts decaf and topped it off with a healthy pour of the buffalo!!! :D

Damn!

5 minutes ago, DCFan said:

As to the rarity, I've never even heard of this until I started posting here last year. And this is the first bottle I've ever seen.

Damn...

1 minute ago, Clueby said:

A year or two ago this stuff was super allocated and couldn't be found.  Now I see it everywhere

Should we be discussing here the quality of barrels going into the new bottles then :)

I'll be on the lookout!

Just now, Kane said:

Damn...

Keep in mind that Va is a controlled state so maybe the keen heads in Richmond don't order all that much.

The Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream has actually been around quite a while. It originally started out as a gift shop offering. Either everyone liked it so much they decided to distribute it nation wide, or they had already planned to do so. Not really sure. When BT went nation wide with it, I saw it around here on a fairly regular basis. Then came the bourbon boon. As with a few other products at the time, it kinda disappeared for a while. It still shows up here, but there's no rhyme nor reason as to when it shows up, or how much shows up at any given time.

Cheers! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.