What Bourbon(s) Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2017 Edition.

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hmmm, pretty closure, and pretty nice colored whiskey; that label however is a true dog.    Maybe they are trying to seem unsophisticated?    If so, it's working.

3 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

According to my research, Calumet is Barton sourced and bottled by the same company that owns Bird Dog.  The regular Calumet is alleged to be 6-8yrs old, so that 10yr stated might be very nice.  The 86 proof is kind of a bummer though.

The back label does say bottled for Western Spirits by Three Rivers Bottling Company, which is Bird Dog.  The proof however is 92, not 86.

Just now, CardsandBourbon said:

The back label does say bottled for Western Spirits by Three Rivers Bottling Company, which is Bird Dog.  The proof however is 92, not 86.

Yeah I noticed the proof after I already edited for poor grammar.  You probably have some good juice there, let us know what you think.

1 minute ago, Nm0369 said:

Yeah I noticed the proof after I already edited for poor grammar.  You probably have some good juice there, let us know what you think.

Definitely will do that.  In fact I'll go have a taste and report back in a few minutes.

OK, quick tasting done.  It is very likely Barton sourced.  Not only does the bottle resemble the 1792 bottle, but the juice does too.  In the bottle it is a medium golden brown.  In the glass I could never nose anything other than acetone, but that might just be me as I seem to nose that with most bourbons.  Mouth feel was again medium, not thin but not a thick oily feel.  Up front was a big hit of caramel with a little spiciness on the back.  Not really pepper but I couldn't pick out one particular spice.  The thing that surprised me the most was that there was very, very little oakiness, which I had expected to taste, especially with it being a 10 year age statement, but after noticing the color of the juice in the bottle being lighter, I figured that maybe they used a lighter char on the barrels.

My overall impression is that it is pretty good.  Don't know how much he paid for it but if it was not too much more than a bottle of 1792 I would probably spring for a bottle.  If you like 1792 you'll probably like this.

I didn't "purchase" these bottles, but was gifted them - which is even better.  Old Forester 1920 and Bib & Tucker.  Both are new to me.  I've heard a lot of good things about one bottle, and many poor things about the other.  Looking forward to cracking open the 1920 soon.

4 hours ago, DCFan said:

Does it have screw top caps? J/k. :D

Whoosh, this joke went right over my head, what am I missing here? 

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

BTW, how many are a few? ;) 

I think he bought six total. So hopefully 2 or 3. Very excited! 

2 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

OK, quick tasting done.  It is very likely Barton sourced.  Not only does the bottle resemble the 1792 bottle, but the juice does too.  In the bottle it is a medium golden brown.  In the glass I could never nose anything other than acetone, but that might just be me as I seem to nose that with most bourbons.  Mouth feel was again medium, not thin but not a thick oily feel.  Up front was a big hit of caramel with a little spiciness on the back.  Not really pepper but I couldn't pick out one particular spice.  The thing that surprised me the most was that there was very, very little oakiness, which I had expected to taste, especially with it being a 10 year age statement, but after noticing the color of the juice in the bottle being lighter, I figured that maybe they used a lighter char on the barrels.

My overall impression is that it is pretty good.  Don't know how much he paid for it but if it was not too much more than a bottle of 1792 I would probably spring for a bottle.  If you like 1792 you'll probably like this.

Barton distillate almost always gives off some sort of banana for me.  Even in its weakest form (VOB 80p).

Let it air out awhile and see if any flavors come through.

Around here the Calumet 10 year was $50.00 per.  About double the cost of 1792 small batch.

My Kentucky trip happens tomorrow! Going the BIB route. Can't wait to get HHBIB 6 which I have never had. EW which I thought was good, and maybe some other Kentucky only stuff.

Picked up a few "staples" this past weekend to restock the bunker... A couple bottles each of Old Forester 100pf and Weller SR.

In my opinion the recent bottles of these offerings have been markedly better than the previous stuff. Basically since B&F and BT both changed to the new bottle/label for these bourbons I have noticed an improvement in flavor and mouth feel in each product.

My Kentucky trip happens tomorrow! Going the BIB route. Can't wait to get HHBIB 6 which I have never had. EW which I thought was good, and maybe some other Kentucky only stuff.

OF BIB!

18 hours ago, silverc said:

Picked this up today for $28.99 at VA ABC. I don't expect it to be awesome, but it is straight bourbon (2 yr, 92 proof), and for the price it's worth taking a flyer on.

Tried to find the Isaac Bowman Port Finished but it's not out yet.

IMG_1123.JPG

According to the Distillery Isaac should be out this week.  As far as Kopper Kettle it is hit or miss for me.  Some are good, some are awful.  They now have a bonded Kopper Lettle out that I much prefer

17 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Wait is OFBiB also a Ky only product???

No. We have it here in Illinois.

IMG_2206.thumb.JPG.6c025661ca2ec55ddc6c788b6100252f.JPG Found a real "handle" today of Jim Beam eight-year-old. JB is not my  favorite but I had to pick it up, it made me feel like I was buying a dusty. 

5 hours ago, LCWoody said:

IMG_2206.thumb.JPG.6c025661ca2ec55ddc6c788b6100252f.JPG Found a real "handle" today of Jim Beam eight-year-old. JB is not my  favorite but I had to pick it up, it made me feel like I was buying a dusty. 

I'm betting that you didn't find that at Lake Street Liquor or at Hocus Pocus. Ha.

Kept my purchase simple last week with a EWSiB.  Got to save my $$$ for the BTAC allocation my favorite store is getting this week!

Edited by BigSkyDrams
phrasing

This is kinda crazy... but I bought an ECBP B517 last night, and last night I finished an ECBP A117... There was some sort of Bourbon Equilibrium at work that I don't quite understand... for the first time ever, I bought whisky and my stash count remained the same! 

(Cue Twilight Zone theme music...) 

• I like it 3

Bought two cases of ECBP B517 today.  Two for another SBr and the rest for me.  I've had at least a tasting if not a bottle of each of the batches so far and this one is my favorite by far.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Hop said:

Bought two cases of ECBP B517 today.  Two for another SBr and the rest for me.  I've had at least a tasting if not a bottle of each of the batches so far and this one is my favorite by far.

Was with another SBr at lunch today and we lamented not seeing a B in our market. Now we know where it all went. :)

By the way we haven't seen any C either.

No C over here yet either.  I haven't heard of it hitting anywhere yet.  NC has definitely gotten a much larger share of ECBP the last couple of years compared to about three years ago.  

Was with another SBr at lunch today and we lamented not seeing a B in our market. Now we know where it all went. [emoji4]
By the way we haven't seen any C either.

Certainly looks like we are getting left out here in the Memphis area...but I bet some will start showing up here again soon. I'll let you know if I see any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grabbed a Michters 10 for a friend of mine. Did a little scouring around and did pretty well I think. 

The WTKS was on sale for $42 and the 116.8 Rare Breed was $38. 

The OBSO is the last of the barrel and the OBSQ just hit this week. 

IMG_3370.JPG

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.