OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel

What Bourbon(s) Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2017 Edition.

Richnimrod   
Richnimrod

Hmmm, pretty closure, and pretty nice colored whiskey; that label however is a true dog.    Maybe they are trying to seem unsophisticated?    If so, it's working.

CardsandBourbon   
CardsandBourbon
3 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

According to my research, Calumet is Barton sourced and bottled by the same company that owns Bird Dog.  The regular Calumet is alleged to be 6-8yrs old, so that 10yr stated might be very nice.  The 86 proof is kind of a bummer though.

The back label does say bottled for Western Spirits by Three Rivers Bottling Company, which is Bird Dog.  The proof however is 92, not 86.

CardsandBourbon   
CardsandBourbon
3 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

Edited by CardsandBourbon
Duplicate Post

Nm0369   
Nm0369
Just now, CardsandBourbon said:

The back label does say bottled for Western Spirits by Three Rivers Bottling Company, which is Bird Dog.  The proof however is 92, not 86.

Yeah I noticed the proof after I already edited for poor grammar.  You probably have some good juice there, let us know what you think.

CardsandBourbon   
CardsandBourbon
1 minute ago, Nm0369 said:

Yeah I noticed the proof after I already edited for poor grammar.  You probably have some good juice there, let us know what you think.

Definitely will do that.  In fact I'll go have a taste and report back in a few minutes.

CardsandBourbon   
CardsandBourbon

OK, quick tasting done.  It is very likely Barton sourced.  Not only does the bottle resemble the 1792 bottle, but the juice does too.  In the bottle it is a medium golden brown.  In the glass I could never nose anything other than acetone, but that might just be me as I seem to nose that with most bourbons.  Mouth feel was again medium, not thin but not a thick oily feel.  Up front was a big hit of caramel with a little spiciness on the back.  Not really pepper but I couldn't pick out one particular spice.  The thing that surprised me the most was that there was very, very little oakiness, which I had expected to taste, especially with it being a 10 year age statement, but after noticing the color of the juice in the bottle being lighter, I figured that maybe they used a lighter char on the barrels.

My overall impression is that it is pretty good.  Don't know how much he paid for it but if it was not too much more than a bottle of 1792 I would probably spring for a bottle.  If you like 1792 you'll probably like this.

kemosabe   
kemosabe

I didn't "purchase" these bottles, but was gifted them - which is even better.  Old Forester 1920 and Bib & Tucker.  Both are new to me.  I've heard a lot of good things about one bottle, and many poor things about the other.  Looking forward to cracking open the 1920 soon.

Bob_Loblaw   
Bob_Loblaw
4 hours ago, DCFan said:

Does it have screw top caps? J/k. :D

Whoosh, this joke went right over my head, what am I missing here? 

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

BTW, how many are a few? ;) 

I think he bought six total. So hopefully 2 or 3. Very excited! 

2 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

OK, quick tasting done.  It is very likely Barton sourced.  Not only does the bottle resemble the 1792 bottle, but the juice does too.  In the bottle it is a medium golden brown.  In the glass I could never nose anything other than acetone, but that might just be me as I seem to nose that with most bourbons.  Mouth feel was again medium, not thin but not a thick oily feel.  Up front was a big hit of caramel with a little spiciness on the back.  Not really pepper but I couldn't pick out one particular spice.  The thing that surprised me the most was that there was very, very little oakiness, which I had expected to taste, especially with it being a 10 year age statement, but after noticing the color of the juice in the bottle being lighter, I figured that maybe they used a lighter char on the barrels.

My overall impression is that it is pretty good.  Don't know how much he paid for it but if it was not too much more than a bottle of 1792 I would probably spring for a bottle.  If you like 1792 you'll probably like this.

Barton distillate almost always gives off some sort of banana for me.  Even in its weakest form (VOB 80p).

Let it air out awhile and see if any flavors come through.

Around here the Calumet 10 year was $50.00 per.  About double the cost of 1792 small batch.

cdcdguy   
cdcdguy

My Kentucky trip happens tomorrow! Going the BIB route. Can't wait to get HHBIB 6 which I have never had. EW which I thought was good, and maybe some other Kentucky only stuff.

MOwhisky4me   
MOwhisky4me

Picked up a few "staples" this past weekend to restock the bunker... A couple bottles each of Old Forester 100pf and Weller SR.

In my opinion the recent bottles of these offerings have been markedly better than the previous stuff. Basically since B&F and BT both changed to the new bottle/label for these bourbons I have noticed an improvement in flavor and mouth feel in each product.

HoustonNit   
HoustonNit
My Kentucky trip happens tomorrow! Going the BIB route. Can't wait to get HHBIB 6 which I have never had. EW which I thought was good, and maybe some other Kentucky only stuff.

OF BIB!

VAGentleman   
VAGentleman
18 hours ago, silverc said:

Picked this up today for $28.99 at VA ABC. I don't expect it to be awesome, but it is straight bourbon (2 yr, 92 proof), and for the price it's worth taking a flyer on.

Tried to find the Isaac Bowman Port Finished but it's not out yet.

IMG_1123.JPG

According to the Distillery Isaac should be out this week.  As far as Kopper Kettle it is hit or miss for me.  Some are good, some are awful.  They now have a bonded Kopper Lettle out that I much prefer

Bob_Loblaw   
Bob_Loblaw
4 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

OF BIB!

Wait is OFBiB also a Ky only product???

Whiskeythink.com   
Whiskeythink.com
17 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Wait is OFBiB also a Ky only product???

No. We have it here in Illinois.

LCWoody   
LCWoody

IMG_2206.thumb.JPG.6c025661ca2ec55ddc6c788b6100252f.JPG Found a real "handle" today of Jim Beam eight-year-old. JB is not my  favorite but I had to pick it up, it made me feel like I was buying a dusty.