What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on a few barterhouse bottles today at 79.99. I already have one I haven't cracked, and the bunker is growing too quickly. It was a tough pass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Passed on ER for $26.99 while in Wisconsin for the weekend.  Also, passed on a 1 liter kentucky straight rye whiskey (forgot the name) for $14.99.  I was planning on picking up the rye today, but, the liquor store was closed.

On 9/24/2017 at 4:12 PM, Golzee said:

Passed on ER for $26.99 while in Wisconsin for the weekend.  Also, passed on a 1 liter kentucky straight rye whiskey (forgot the name) for $14.99.  I was planning on picking up the rye today, but, the liquor store was closed.

Fleishman's?

25 minutes ago, chappy6107 said:

passed on a W12 .  was $79.  what is the retail of this bottle?

Depends on what store you get it from, and whether or not they're gouging. I recently was lucky enough to purchase a handle of Weller 12 pretty much at retail for $49.99. That should tell you something.

Joe

1 minute ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Depends on what store you get it from, and whether or not they're gouging. I recently was lucky enough to purchase a handle of Weller 12 pretty much at retail for $49.99. That should tell you something.

Joe

a handle of W12 as in 1.75 L for $49.99?

16 minutes ago, Paddy said:

^^^^^^Yep, I've paid the same of late.  Also picked up a few 750's for $27-29.99 (pre-tax).

I really want to try it as I have not had the 12 year yet, but I also dont want to be gouged like that either.

$27.99 OTD (no tax on hooch in Taxachusetts!) for Weller 12 when it shows up.   :D

I see prices all over the board.  Luckily, I've been able to hold out for reasonable prices (due to a bunker stash at home).

Passed on Kentucky Owl Rye for $99.99.  Sourced whiskey from unknown origins from an old brand name.  No bueno, for me!   :wacko:

6 minutes ago, NDN98 said:

Passed on Stagg Jr. at $77.  I like it fine, but my last bottle was $45 and I felt that was pushing the limits of its worth.

It's traditionally been $50 to $70 around here but I wouldn't buy at over $50. I recently found a source for it that was $43 but they just raised their price to $45.  I'm probably still a buyer up to $50 but I've stopped bunkering as it's pretty much always readily available.  I have 1 open and 2 left in the bunker.

Passed on 2 newcomers my local store showed me: Rabbit Hole (a 2 year old sourced bourbon) and Bird Dog, which if I recall was NAS. Presumably also sourced.  I'd be interested in hearing if any of you have tried them, but I do not have high expectations.

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Passed on Kentucky Owl Rye for $99.99.  Sourced whiskey from unknown origins from an old brand name.  No bueno, for me!   :wacko:

I passed on this one today @ $120.  LS owner said it was MPG juice, but I have no idea if he knows his stuff- he just bought the place.  His justification was "it's 11 yo rye.  Who else has that sitting around".  I didn't argue, just paid $25 for a baby Saz and left.

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Fleishman's?

Nope, but if I'm ever in Oxford, Wisconsin again, I'm going back to the liquor store to pick up a bottle.  Probably not missing out on anything if $14.99/L is any indication. 

I was up in Stevens Point the last time I saw Fleishman's. I've heard that it's okay, but also that it might not be quite as good as it used to be.

12 hours ago, chappy6107 said:

a handle of W12 as in 1.75 L for $49.99?

Yep. To show you just how extreme things can get, another store around where I live (maybe) had a 750 of Weller 12. I say maybe because it was in the back room and I never actually saw it.  The clerk called the manager because I was interested in a bottle. He said the manager was saving them as Xmas presents for his family, but he was willing to let one go for $99.99. <_<

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Yep. To show you just how extreme things can get, another store around where I live (maybe) had a 750 of Weller 12. I say maybe because it was in the back room and I never actually saw it.  The clerk called the manager because I was interested in a bottle. He said the manager was saving them as Xmas presents for his family, but he was willing to let one go for $99.99. <_<

Around here they sell OWA for $99!

20170921_180407-756x1008.jpg

12 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

I passed on this one today @ $120.  LS owner said it was MPG juice, but I have no idea if he knows his stuff- he just bought the place.  His justification was "it's 11 yo rye.  Who else has that sitting around".  I didn't argue, just paid $25 for a baby Saz and left.

Well he is most definitely incorrect since it is a Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey, I will admit that if I have a chance I'm probably a buyer, not that many rye's out their with age statements that high and certainly basically nothing from KY. I don't usually care about age statements but this seems unique enough to give it a go.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.