What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

It is $44 or so here in columbia sc

Thanks to you and Cards for the info. Seemed a little high to me at $63. Ill hold out and try to get it liquor barn in the BG.

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Thanks to you and Cards for the info. Seemed a little high to me at $63. Ill hold out and try to get it liquor barn in the BG.

Hancock Reserve Single Barrel is listed at $59.99 on the ABC website but it also says unavailable.

7 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

I have one bottle that I bought to do a themed (BT mash bill 2) at thanksgiving for some cousins who are interested in/new to bourbon. I haven’t done a serious tasting of it yet, but two pours in I’d rather have blantons or rock hill over the Hancocks every day and not really even have to think about it. 

1 minute ago, DCFan said:

Hancock Reserve Single Barrel is listed at $59.99 on the ABC website but it also says unavailable.

I still find regional availability to be interesting. It is stocked at every Total Wine here in AZ for $46.99, and they even consider it a 'spirits direct' item, so I can get another 10% off of that. Blanton's popped up at TW yesterday for $59.99, and only 2 of the 10 stores nearby have any left today. 

Passed a Store Pick Blanton's for 89.99.  Said no thanks.

I can buy two ECBPs for roughly 30 dollars more.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Passed hancocks reserve at $63 and $69 ... anyone know MSRP? 

Also passed a shelf of stagg jr at $59.99 as i can find it cheaper next week at my parents. Same store had their OWA at $69.. wanted so badly to tell him i passed on 3 at $29 an hour earlier. 

Dayummm! :o

Joe

1 hour ago, Bnrhodes3 said:

I still find regional availability to be interesting. It is stocked at every Total Wine here in AZ for $46.99, and they even consider it a 'spirits direct' item, so I can get another 10% off of that.

The price spread on this one boggles the mind. I was just searching around and there is a joint called BevMo in your neck of the woods that has it for $33.99. :o

28 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Dayummm! :o

Joe

Dayumm to which part? All parts? I thought the stagg and the owa at 29$ was decent.

^^^^You guys can quit chasing overpriced Hancock's, 'cause it's already right under your nose (cleverly disguised as a Bowman's SmB)!  Hell, I'd even go as far to say that the Bowman's is better (more refined, while the HPR can be a little edgy)!;)

• I like it 1

54 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Dayumm to which part? All parts? I thought the stagg and the owa at 29$ was decent.

The Stagg Jr and Hancocks. Stagg Jr is $47.99 at one place near where I live. Another store here had/has a bottle of Hancock's behind the counter, but I never bothered to ask what the price was. A year or so ago I saw a bottle of HPR at one store about an hour away priced at $43.99 IIRC. I thought about it, but took a pass. -_- FWIW, I recently purchased a few OWA's for around the same price you posted about. Good deal there. 

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

The Stagg Jr and Hancocks. Stagg Jr is $47.99 at one place near where I live. Another store here had/has a bottle of Hancock's behind the counter, but I never bothered to ask what the price was. A year or so ago I saw a bottle of HPR at one store about an hour away priced at $43.99 IIRC. I thought about it, but took a pass. -_- FWIW, I recently purchased a few OWA's for around the same price you posted about. Good deal there. 

Cheers! Joe

Good to know Joe.   I also  paid 47.99 for my last Stagg Jr. in FL and am headed back next week..that's why I passed. However in Tennessee the $59.99 is by far the cheapest I have ever seen and Stagg Jr is rarely seen in the central part of the state (where I live). It seems different distributors cover the 3 regions in TN and while you may never see W12 in the middle TN region, you will see it in the East. The guy I know in the east region was told by his rep, that he will never be getting OWA . I also never see Stagg Jr in middle TN but it seems to be plentiful in the  East.  I could be way off as I'm relatively new to the bourbon hunt, but this has been my experience over the past 2 years. 

As an aside the prices seem way better in all of the surrounding states except KY. Not sure why TN jacks everything up so much. I'm gonna blame it on the millennials.

6 hours ago, DCFan said:

The price spread on this one boggles the mind. I was just searching around and there is a joint called BevMo in your neck of the woods that has it for $33.99. :o

Dang! I haven't ever seen it at BevMo though, so I'm not sure if they carry it here anymore. 

Nope. 

Also:

Blantons: $115

CEHT single: $99

Mid winter: $179

ECBP B517: $129

pass this place to and from the in laws. Not even stopping any more. 

F4633A7F-54C7-44F0-8048-8CC9BA5C4CED.jpeg

I was in an area of town I don’t usually go and stopped in a new store. They had an ORVW behind the counter with no visible price tag. I asked and the guy scanned it. $450. I smirked and said no thanks and turned on my heel. 

• I like it 1

58 minutes ago, Stump1998 said:

Passed on etl for 129.00 and stagg jr for 99.99, didn’t even ask how much for the pappy 15...

I found 6 Elmers for $39 earlier this year and bought the lot. 5 went to friends of mine at cost. It is ok, but not close to Blantons or RHF. It is an easy pass for me, even at a good number. 

BG Store was out of stock a few days ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passed on 1792 225th anniversary for $59. Almost got it but had the old label RR SB SiB on my mind. 

Also passed on a gallon of W12 again at $249. And having regrets about the EC 12  with age statement on the back for $31.

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 1

3 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Passed on 1792 225th anniversary for $59. Almost got it but had the old label RR SB SiB on my mind. 

Also passed on a gallon of W12 again at $249. And having regrets about the EC 12  with age statement on the back for $31.

I definitely would have bought that EC12. I don't mean to rub it in. I would go back, if I were you

Not passed but missed.  I was in a couple of stores this weekend.  One was a larger chain store.  The other a smaller chain store (which interesting doesn't have the same name on each store).  I missed ECBP in the larger chain store but found it in the smaller chain store.  The larger chain store had a shelf marked OWA $28.99.  I asked the manager what was up with this.  She said they had some on the shelf but it sold quickly.  But, hey, it made it to the shelf.  I asked about Weller at the smaller chain store and the clerk told me they had gotten in WSR but he hasn't seen OWA in over 2 years.  Timing is everything.

On 11/18/2017 at 6:16 PM, Stump1998 said:

Passed on etl for 129.00 and stagg jr for 99.99, didn’t even ask how much for the pappy 15...

The bourbon pimps in the NLR area aren't bashful - 2 different stores with ETL for $200, W12 for $200 as well.  Also saw my first bottle of 1792SW on a shelf - easy pass at $60.

4 minutes ago, PowderKeg said:

The bourbon pimps in the NLR area aren't bashful - 2 different stores with ETL for $200, W12 for $200 as well.  Also saw my first bottle of 1792SW on a shelf - easy pass at $60.

Someone from fayettville posted a store up there with some insanely cheap prices in the last month.... may need to hit the pigtrails my friend.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.