What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Rock hill farms. Every time I have some Im reminded of why I buy one every time I see it. great stuff!

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

"New" Weller SR for me tonight, but.......

On Wednesday night at our bourbon/cigar group get together, we had a few different things. :) We had some MM, MM46 and Bakers from the bar. Along with that, some of us brought samples to share. I brought a ps BT, two guys brought mystery whiskies, (both of which we think were HH6 BIB :huh:), and one guy brought some Bull Run American Whiskey. The ps BT that I brought was very  good, and everyone really liked it. But, the surprise of the night was the Bull Run. It's from the Bull Run Distillery in Oregon, 100 proof, aged 10 years in used barrels, then aged another 15 months  in Pinot Noir casks. I looked on their website, (http://bullrundistillery.com/spirits/pinot-noir-finished-american-whiskey) and it's listed there. I also checked in Scott's (CorvallisCracker) book, Distilled In Oregon. He does mention the Bull Run Distillery, but this product probably came out after he did all the research for his book. I must say that this was a pretty darned good whiskey, and I might even buy a bottle depending on the price. 

Cheers! Joe

You inspired my to pick up a bottle... at first pour, I get a lot of acetone. But, once it settles down the smell is muted. No heat. If has a long, warm finish. 

IMG_0272.JPG

HMK10BIB in a bar in Southern Pines NC tonight then Blantons back at the hotel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

I know the manager at the Total Wine I shop and he's a bourbon guy so I take him seriously when he recommends something that seems questionable. Today, he was talking up a NDP product from Ferndale, WA called Doc Swinson's Single Barrel Select. I would have walked right by it and not given it a look had he not pointed out that it was 11yr old MGP high rye mash bill bottled at 110 proof for $53. We all know that you can't get MGP bourbon at that age for that price any more so what gives? They apparently bought these barrels a few years ago and have been sitting on them. Last year it was a 10yr old, this year 11. I took a shot and am sitting here sipping it now and it's great. I'll snag a few more.

• I like it 3

Last night was stag JR, getting down to around the 1/3rd mark and this is really at its peak, absolutely fantastic.

Tonight, a Eagle Rare store pick that has just a couple pours left, this is stupid good for $28. Hell, it's just stupid good period.

Edited by EarthQuake

An Elijah Craig grenade. This stuff is really interesting. Clearly smoother than most ECBP, but it's still 125 proof

Having a small amount of a lot of different bourbons, EC, SAOS 10y, Old Bones 10y, a few 1792's, BH 20y............. all good

While watching ALCS baseball and college football at a sports bar with friends, enjoying Knob Creek, Bakers. Next up is 1792 Small Batch.  We'll see if it can hold up to the high standard of the first two.

I was at a wedding reception earlier and had my first run in with OGD BIB. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I’ll have to get a bottle soon. I’ve had the OGD114 before, but I don’t remember liking it as much. I should get a bottle each to do a blind side by side. 

• I like it 2

An Elijah Craig grenade. This stuff is really interesting. Clearly smoother than most ECBP, but it's still 125 proof

I still have a couple EC grenades I got at the HH gift shop that I need to open. Glad to hear they don’t suck, even though we likely have bottles from different barrels.

I started the night with the final pour from a Willett Pot Still Reserve that I got as a present a year or two ago. This bottle started off a little rough but I’ve come to appreciate it and enjoyed the last half bottle or so. Now moving into some FR OBSF.

Even though I missed it always a good night when the the Astros seal the deal on heading to the WS. As a special bonus they did it by beating the Yankees.

Went out to one of the nicer restaurants in Houston to celebrate my wife's birthday. They have a great bourbon selection and a number of barrel picks they did.

Had a couple of small pours a Witherspoon pick they had and a OF pick fromSpec's. The OF was surprisingly really good as was the Witherspoon. The pricing here is generally high but also all over the place. Blanton's was $28 for a 2oz pour, W12 is cheap and relatively easy to get for restaurants here and not surprising was almost half the price at $16. Oddities was E.H. Taylor Four Grain at $24 or RHF at $20. I had a pour of EHT 4G to end the meal. Really didn't care for it, maybe my palate was shot at the end of the meal.

Got a sample locally of GD select, haven't had this in years. It's amazing could smell the vitamin as soon as I opened it. Very distinct also shows on the finish. Don't think I'm a fan.

Had a few pours today, started with some WT KS store picks followed by some Hochstadter 16rye, then a little pour of WT MK 17yo. Still thinking if I’m gonna have one last pour or not......

Cheers! 

Will. 

Great motorcycle trip this weekend to and all around Pinehurst NC with my wife and friends. Just got home and poured a Blanton’s

After a week of mingling, a 50/50 vat of a PS KCSB/KC9 turned out to be pretty awesome.  Following that up with another PS KCSB (research:D).

A little stagg jr mixed with some standard BT to bring the proof down a bit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.