What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Some of the Russell’s picks are lights out. Great value! Might have to have a pour of mine later tonight...

Almost makes me wonder why I waste my time with other stuff.
  • I like it 2

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

I have had the same thought... many, many times.  

...Pretty much each time  I have a pour from my GBS pick of RRSmBSB.    It really is the best Bourbon I've tasted (save for dusties) for anything close to the very, very reasonable price it went for.

I brought this one up a couple times lately, $45 barrel proof 8 year old MGP make this a pretty great value and it's a pretty nice pour to boot! I appreciate the fact that they list both distillation date and bottle date as well reminds me of the better scotch indie bottlers.

IMG_20171219_211611495.jpg

Opened my 2017 tonight.

Small sips from 2015-16-17.

They are all quite different.

The 17 is still very berry forward to me, but it's tasting a lot better to me this evening (than a previous bar tasting).

I still think 2015 is my favorite of these three.  Formal sbsbsbs review to follow over the holidays.  #jointhecult  :)

IMAG2903_1_1.jpg

• I like it 4

we had dinner at The Chef & The Farmer tonight and while waiting at the bar for a table had a pour of this year's OFBB and followed that up with BH Rye.   I wasn't overly impressed with the OFBB as it wasn't as good to my taste buds as 1920 .   I did think the BHR was very smooth and would recommend to anyone not accustomed to rye.  Now that we are back home, a dram of HWAMND is a perfect nightcap.   

5 hours ago, NYCBourbon said:

Some of the Russell’s picks are lights out. Great value! Might have to have a pour of mine later tonight...

4 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I have had the same thought... many, many times.  

...Pretty much each time  I have a pour from my GBS pick of RRSmBSB.    It really is the best Bourbon I've tasted (save for dusties) for anything close to the very, very reasonable price it went for.

You are all correct. 

My group has had the privilege to pick three barrels of this in the past two years. 

Just had a pour from our 2016 bottle. Outstanding. Turkey is absolutely killing it with the Russell’s single barrels. 

Christmas gift. Awfully nice of them. Expensive bottle but it's interesting, to say the least, to have a hint of rumny sweetness hidden in there. Not excellent by any means and no I wouldn't purchase.

IMG_0478.thumb.JPG.7372ee79d685959fb4c9905ea1ef411d.JPG

Just cracked an EHTBP 129 proof. Not sure what batch this is. I can report that it's fantastic however.

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, 0895 said:

Opened my 2017 tonight.

Small sips from 2015-16-17.

They are all quite different.

The 17 is still very berry forward to me, but it's tasting a lot better to me this evening (than a previous bar tasting).

I still think 2015 is my favorite of these three.  Formal sbsbsbs review to follow over the holidays.  #jointhecult  :)

IMAG2903_1_1.jpg

I haven't tried the 2017 yet, mostly because i have a 2014-2015 which are opened at that time, so i'll finish them first, those small batches don't handle oxydation so well. But i'm with you on this, i've had all the post 2013 releases (Al Young included) and the 2015 is my all-time fav for sure. Nice/tasty sbs! 

Will.

6 hours ago, flahute said:

Just cracked an EHTBP 129 proof. Not sure what batch this is. I can report that it's fantastic however.

Hey Steve, I think it's Batch #3, released in early 2015 (Batch #1 was 134.5pf & Batch #2 was 135.4pf IIRC).  My fading memory of that expression (!?!) is that it was a fantastic glass that was way easy to drink neat in comparison to the earlier versions.  It was the bottle that got me to start enjoying barrel proof bourbons w/o water or ice!  Obviously you have much more discipline than I since my bottle is LOOONG GONE!  :(

Enjoy!   :D

• I like it 1

I've had a sore throat the past week, so haven't been drinking, at all. Last night I felt better so I wanted to take it easy with something light and flavorful, so had a pour of EWSB '05 to ease myself back into my bourbon. Man, it was good...

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Government Beard said:

Christmas gift. Awfully nice of them. Expensive bottle but it's interesting, to say the least, to have a hint of rumny sweetness hidden in there. Not excellent by any means and no I wouldn't purchase.

IMG_0478.thumb.JPG.7372ee79d685959fb4c9905ea1ef411d.JPG

I actually purchased one, was hoping the Rum finishing would clean up some of the bitterness from recent Jefferson's releases but it doesn't.

• I like it 1

While watching TV last night I had a pour of good old WSR and followed that with a Calumet Single Rack Black 10 year.  Then I fell asleep on the couch. :D

While watching TV last night I had a pour of good old WSR and followed that with a Calumet Single Rack Black 10 year.  Then I fell asleep on the couch. [emoji3]

That Calumet Farms 10yr Single Barrel is pretty good stuff. I’m not a fan of regular Calumet Farms, but I was gifted a 10yr single barrel, and I’ve been impressed since opening it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had some ECBP A117 last night.  After a couple of pours, I must admit a strong preference for the B517.  Need to find some of the C917 for a sbsbs...

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I actually purchased one, was hoping the Rum finishing would clean up some of the bitterness from recent Jefferson's releases but it doesn't.

No not really and it is still awfully thin. 

Edited by Government Beard

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

That Calumet Farms 10yr Single Barrel is pretty good stuff. I’m not a fan of regular Calumet Farms, but I was gifted a 10yr single barrel, and I’ve been impressed since opening it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here.  I was gifted this bottle.  Probably wouldn't have purchased it as I didn't know too much about it.  This, like you said, is pretty good.

• I like it 2

After a hectic day at work Im doing my best to see off this 2017 before the year is out. Didn't start off great but it's turned into something rather good. The booze I mean. The year's been great. 

Cheers 

20171220_204059.jpg

Edited by beasled
  • I like it 1

My Christmas vacation has officially begun and I'm off until January 2nd. I'm kicking off the season with some '16 WLW.

Life is good.

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2017 at 9:34 PM, Kepler said:

Yep that was it.  Familiar?

yes! we were there in 2012. Did they build the new road from San Jose yet? 

Some HH6BIB with some buffalo chicken dip while watching the Blues and the Vegas Golden Showe....umm..I mean Knights.

With my dinner companions...

20180104_204129-1008x756.jpg

Just now, Clueby said:

Some HH6BIB with some buffalo chicken dip while watching the Blues and the Vegas Golden Showe....umm..I mean Knights.

With my dinner companions...

20180104_204129-1008x756.jpg

Pits?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.