What Dram are you enjoying? Fall 2017

BigRich
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It has *no* nose.
It tastes like a cheap blend. I have on the side here. It can't get anywhere near Lot 40.
WTF? I am really disappointed.

Word. First sip I thought it was apple flavored blended.

It was work to finish my bottle.

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Yeah same here, I mixed some of the 103 proof Hand Selected in to mine to give it some bite.

which I am STILL waiting to get back to my stash to replicate!

4 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

which I am STILL waiting to get back to my stash to replicate!

Worth the wait!

Out in San Francisco for Whiskyfest tonight but last night enjoyed another great tasting of Compass Box with John Glaser. In addition to the regular line we went back through some of the recent limited editions with John talking about how they came to be. It included The Lost Blend, the last two Flaming Heart versions (2012 & 2015), the "3yo" whiskey and This is Not a Luxury Whisky.

He also pulled out a couple of new limited editions that will be released soon, one of which is called "No Name" (the whisky speaks for itself), and John says is the peatiest whisky they have released so far. But I won't get to try those until tonight at Whiskyfest. Finished the evening at a jazz club called Black Cat. A long day as I had just arrived that afternoon but always a great time with great whisky and great company!

• I like it 1

Couldn't find an entire bottle of anything I really wanted, but having a $5 gift card I felt I had to buy "something" - so I opted for a 375 of Clan MacGregor and a 200 of Buchanan's DeLuxe 12 yr.  Never visited the bottle shelf of the dark side, so figured what the hell.  I guess the Buchanan's isn't really a bottom shelf (for the 200 mL it was more expensive than the 375 of CM), and it is clearly a cut above.  The Clan MacGregor is just as uninspiring as I expected it to be.  So - now I know (and I can hear the cartoon mantra of "And knowing is half the battle" while I sip these).  Meh - I've spent $13 on worst stuff.  

33 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Out in San Francisco for Whiskyfest tonight but last night enjoyed another great tasting of Compass Box with John Glaser. In addition to the regular line we went back through some of the recent limited editions with John talking about how they came to be. It included The Lost Blend, the last two Flaming Heart versions (2012 & 2015), the "3yo" whiskey and This is Not a Luxury Whisky.

He also pulled out a couple of new limited editions that will be released soon, one of which is called "No Name" (the whisky speaks for itself), and John says is the peatiest whisky they have released so far. But I won't get to try those until tonight at Whiskyfest. Finished the evening at a jazz club called Black Cat. A long day as I had just arrived that afternoon but always a great time with great whisky and great company!

Thank you for the head's up.  While I will skip the No Name, I have a brother in law who loves peat.  He has liked the last two CBs I have given him for Christmas even though he is a single malt person, mostly.  One more gift down for this year.

6 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Yeah same here, I mixed some of the 103 proof Hand Selected in to mine to give it some bite.

Took another sip today, and I just can't bring myself to pour a full glass. Bitter hot ethanol dominates. I'll let the bottle sit around a week and come back to it again, maybe it'll be tame then.

Btw. if anyone's wondering how I can get this many pours out of a "mini", that's because I was trying to say a "half" in my previous post..

Enjoyed my final pour of an outstanding single barrel.  The 15 year old Sherry Cask is currently one of my faves.

IMG_6760.JPG

12 hours ago, NDN98 said:

Enjoyed my final pour of an outstanding single barrel.  The 15 year old Sherry Cask is currently one of my faves.

IMG_6760.JPG

The sherry Cask is nice, but I miss the bourbon Cask version this replaced.  

Ardbeg Uigeadail. It's like a tire fire had a baby with a damp fall floor sprinkled with golden raisins, the odd old leather bound book, and hints of ocean. I may be in love.

Ardbeg Uigeadail. It's like a tire fire had a baby with a damp fall floor sprinkled with golden raisins, the odd old leather bound book, and hints of ocean. I may be in love.

My favorite affordable Islay whisky!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • I like it 1

19 hours ago, Dravin said:

That tire fire is a rolling stone. I think he's sired a few children in the spirits world. Mostly to the world's betterment I might add.

• I like it 2

I drank small pours of Yamazaki 12 and 18 at a friend's house last night.

Both were from previously unopened bottles.

The 12 was better than I had remembered.  It had a heavy bourbon influence and was sweet.  I've read that ex-bourbon and Sherry casks as well as Japanese oak casks are used to mature Yamazaki but it has to be a large proportion of ex-bourbon for the 12.  It was an easy drinker but still quite interesting and complex.

I have never had the 18 before.  Right away you can tell by the color (if you assume no coloring was used) that more Sherry casks were used.  It also shows up in the taste with some dark fruits and rancio that I didn't find in the 12.  Compared to the 12 it was somewhat surprisingly less easy drinking.  It's the same ABV as the 12 (43%) but drank hotter.  I actually added a few drops of water which helped.  The 12 is sweet but I found the 18 to be even a little bit sweeter.

It was nice to finally try the 18.  Both are fine drams, it's just a shame how expensive they have become.

Thanks for the thoughts meadeweber.  I know the Japanese whiskys get beaten up on a fair amount, particularly due to the value proposition (or lack thereof) with current pricing.  I've never had the 18, but I am definitely a fan of the Yamazaki 12.  Also definitely a fan of the Hibiki 12, and a bit less so, Taketsuru 12.  Of course, the Hibiki and Taketsuru are now NAS, and higher priced than their age-stated predecessors.  Fortunately, I have a decent supply of the 12 year olds in the bunker (wow, that would sound bad out of context...), along with some Hibiki 17.

Last evening, I had a pour of Bunnahabhain 18.  A delicious and terrific whiskey IMHO.

You are welcome Jeff.  I enjoyed my first bottle of Taketsuru 12 and have one in the bunker.  I'm somewhat reluctant to open it as it cannot be easily replaced because, as you said, all the bottles that I have seen recently are NAS.  My favorite Nikka right now is From the Barrel.  

Started off this evening with a 9yr Ledaig from a first-fill sherry butt, which was delicious.  Rich, sherry sweetness and that lovely peat note throughout.  Shifted gears into some Flaming Heart which is also hitting just right on a lovely fall evening in Georgia.

Went hunting for Midwinter's and found nothing. One of the stores was having a tasting of various Teeling Irish whiskeys, the single grain, blend, and single malt. Apparently these are all finished in whatever casks they could get their hands on, rum, 5 types of wines, etc... Tried each, wasn't impressed, all tasted very young and harsh. That was a lot of whiskey though, so I called it a day; kudos for their generosity I guess.

Only the 4th scotch I've sampled,  but I'm enjoying it immensely.

It was an impulse buy out of novelty - something my gf noticed. My name is Ben, my middle name is Nevin, and my last name descends from somewhere in the UK, so it is a cool keepsake bottle even if it had sucked.

20171020_205231.jpg

It's been a Signatory Vintage weekend so far. Last night was a 9yr Strathisla 2007, 58.5% ABV and a crazy good 26yr Balmenach 1988 at 51.6%. Tonight its been a 7yr Mortlach 2008, 60.3% and a 10yr Tamdhu 2005 at 60.5%. All of them benefit from a splash or two of water and IMO represent good values in the Scotch world.

Went to a spirits tasting at a cigar shop tonight and got to try (and ended up buying) a PS 12yr Bruichladdich and a PS 17yr Glentauchers. Passed on a very good 6yr Islay that had no distillery name to it, but we were told it was from Caol Ila. Only reason I passed is because Diageo thought it was appropriate to charge $79 for a 375. Bastards.......

• I like it 1

Laphroaig 10 YR. Enjoying the Ardbeg Uigeadail (an impulse 50 ml bottle purchase) as much as I did gave me the courage to finally pull the trigger on some other peaty offerings I've been eyeing. I'm quite enjoying it and everything going on with this dram as got me staring contemplatively into my glass trying to decipher and put a name to it all. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.