What Dram are you enjoying? Fall 2017

BigRich
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Nice looking color for a non colored whisky. I would guess it has some substantial sherry character along with the unique Bunnahabhain peat notes! Checks most of the boxes with it being unchill filtered and cask strength. Any notion on age? 

Yeah, it is very heavily sherried and at 60.1% the color makes sense. A bit like a peated Abunadh. This was my first peated Bunnahabhain special release, and I liked it enough to import this bottle from UK, but it is no substitute for the good old 18yo.

Trying a Glenmorangie Signet for the first time. The tasting notes are accurate, it is very coffee-like, very unique for a Scotch, and good too. I just can't justify the price for a low proof whisky, wish someone bought me one for xmas.

• I like it 1

And I was just offered a complimentary sample of this. Remarkably good, distinct white wine notes, very dry but aromatic. Reminds me a lot of Bruichladdich Laddie Ten Limited ed.2, with its grapey wine/brandy notes.

IMG_20171114_180534.jpg

A private selection Tomatin 12yr that at 103 proof is simply spectacular.

• I like it 1

Kilkerran WIP #7 Bourbon cask strength.  I opened this about two weeks ago, and it's getting better with air.  Very drinkable for 108 proof.

• I like it 1

Compass Box No Name this evening. This is a seriously smoky whiskey. I get the tar, and I get the smoke, and I get the soot. Medicinal is in the background on this one, and not pronounced. I got a little citrus on the palate. I know there is more fruit in there, as I get a fair amount on the nose (really beautiful nose). I did not get a ton of fruit on the palate, but this was a freshly cracked bottle. I expect this will open up nicely. For the smoke and peat fans, definitely one to look out for.

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

Kilkerran WIP #7 Bourbon cask strength.  I opened this about two weeks ago, and it's getting better with air.  Very drinkable for 108 proof.

Stocked up on a few of these myself. Great dram.

Enjoying some Springbank 16 Local Barley tonight. Been a while since I had this. Sweet, earthy... Very nice.

Springbank 18. Oozes with flavor and quality in general. But it drinks well below its abv, and at 46% that's ever slightly underwhelming.

I'm looking forward to cracking the Springbank 12 CS in my stash.

Ahhhh as kind and gentle as you would expect from young Caol Ila, which is to say not, which is to also say I am enjoying this one quite a bit.

IMG_20171126_203147394.jpg

Got a bit of a Sherry craving tonight.  Glendronach 15yo Revival.  Man this is some good stuff.  Too bad it is not longer distributed.  

• I like it 1

Just now, GreggJ said:

Got a bit of a Sherry craving tonight.  Glendronach 15yo Revival.  Man this is some good stuff.  Too bad it is not longer distributed.  

Back in 2018 apparently. 

I heard that.  I am huge fan Glendroanach and am definitely looking forward to the new release.  Although, I certainly liked the extra age on the last few bottles I have.  I think this current bottle slept for 17 years.  

22 hours ago, GreggJ said:

I heard that.  I am huge fan Glendroanach and am definitely looking forward to the new release.  Although, I certainly liked the extra age on the last few bottles I have.  I think this current bottle slept for 17 years.  

Revival was one of the first bottles of scotch I bought when I became interested in scotch a couple of years ago.  Fortunately, though nearing the end of its run, there were still ample bottles around at the time.  I literally saw the handwriting on the wall, so I thankfully stockpiled several bottles of Revival before it disappeared.  The $70-$80 per bottle for the Revival was a veritable steal, particularly in light of the old-style direct coal and increased age of the whiskey (for my 2015 bottles, like 18-19 years old).  Still love the stuff, and really enjoy the 18 and 21 as well (12 not too shabby either).

On topic, I did have a pour of the Revival a few nights ago, and last evening had a pour of Compass Box No Name that has been open for a week or two now.  Still great smoky stuff.

I started a Whisky Advent Calendar today. I've been curious about them for a while. We ended up getting Advent calendars for the girls so I figured daddy needed one too. Tonight's day one dram was a Glenfarclas 25 year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

This is the most memorable blend I've had all year-- strong and complex with a hearty mouthfeel. I brought it over for my local LS owner to try and we couldn't really enjoy anything afterwards. Too bad it's not available here.

IMG_7964.thumb.jpg.d50c6f6dbc04e52f082ff682526989d3.jpg

The whiskey Advent Calendar brought me Bain's Single Grain out of South Africa today. I can't say that I would've been curious enough to buy a bottle so I'm glad I got to try this. Not anything to write home about. It kind of reminds me of Haig Club (as you might expect).

21 hours ago, BigRich said:

The whiskey Advent Calendar brought me Bain's Single Grain out of South Africa today. I can't say that I would've been curious enough to buy a bottle so I'm glad I got to try this. Not anything to write home about. It kind of reminds me of Haig Club (as you might expect).

I suppose it is a fair comparison although I have a bottle of Bain's and have only had a taste of Haig Club (didn't need more than a taste!). I think the Bain's is a cut or two above, although admittedly HC sets a pretty low bar...

Edited by tanstaafl2

Enjoying a couple of goodies from That Boutique-Y Whisky Company tonight, a 12yr Bruichladdich and 17yr Glentauchers. 

• I like it 1

A pour of Bunnahabhain 12 followed by Toiteach, after making a statement about my favorite Islay's I figured I should get a quick refresher in, and I'm still good ranking them back in the pack. Both of these are good, not great, just good. Would like to try a bourbon cask Peated Bunnahabhain, for some reason I feel like that could be pretty great.  The only Islay I might rank behind Bunnahabhain is Bowmore, I have yet to have an OB Bowmore that I really liked, on the flipside I have had a few indie Bowmore bottlings that were pretty fantastic. 

On 12/11/2017 at 10:57 PM, kevinbrink said:

A pour of Bunnahabhain 12 followed by Toiteach, after making a statement about my favorite Islay's I figured I should get a quick refresher in, and I'm still good ranking them back in the pack. Both of these are good, not great, just good. Would like to try a bourbon cask Peated Bunnahabhain, for some reason I feel like that could be pretty great.  The only Islay I might rank behind Bunnahabhain is Bowmore, I have yet to have an OB Bowmore that I really liked, on the flipside I have had a few indie Bowmore bottlings that were pretty fantastic. 

What do you think about blending  Bunnahabhain 12 and Ardbeg 10 [ratio undecided yet]?  To me, that sounds interesting if the resulting mix retained some of the best traits of each.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.