What Dram are you enjoying? Fall 2017

BigRich
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It has been a long time since I had a Glenfiddich, picked this up on a tip from a friend and have to admit it is pretty damn good.

IMG_20171226_213700813.jpg

• I like it 1

Another pour of my Christmas bottle of Ardbeg An Oa. It's got all the classic Ardbeg peat with some sweetness. The sweet is a little one dimensional and it's got some rough grainy edges to it as well. I assume that's from the age, or lack thereof. Still its an enjoyable dram. I'm watching the Kingsman movie. Didn't have any Old Forester.

Last evening, a nice pour of Glengoyne CS Batch 4.  This is a lovely whiskey.  Very pleased that it is NCF and natural color.  NAS, but tastes like it has some age on it.  I am not out looking for this stuff, but I have come across two bottles of this at around $70 or so (bought both), and well worth it IMO if you like this style.

• I like it 1

38 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Last evening, a nice pour of Glengoyne CS Batch 4.  This is a lovely whiskey.  Very pleased that it is NCF and natural color.  NAS, but tastes like it has some age on it.  I am not out looking for this stuff, but I have come across two bottles of this at around $70 or so (bought both), and well worth it IMO if you like this style.

I don't think I've ever had a Glengoyne, that one is kind of a sherry bomb correct?

1 minute ago, kevinbrink said:

I don't think I've ever had a Glengoyne, that one is kind of a sherry bomb correct?

Yes, Glengoyne is generally (always?) sherry matured, similar to Aberlour, Macallan, Glenfarclas and Glendronach.  The Glengoyne CS is in the same ballpark as the Aberlour A'Bunadh, Glenfarclas 105, and Macallan CS or Classic Cut.

18 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Yes, Glengoyne is generally (always?) sherry matured, similar to Aberlour, Macallan, Glenfarclas and Glendronach.  The Glengoyne CS is in the same ballpark as the Aberlour A'Bunadh, Glenfarclas 105, and Macallan CS or Classic Cut.

Nice I'm a bit sherried out at the moment but I'll have to keep that in mind considering I don't see Glenfarclas 105 much these days, I know one of the Clifton stores has it, and A'bunadh is a pretty spendy at this point for a NAS. Still haven't grabbed a Classic Cut yet but there seems to be plenty around right now

28 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

One other thing, if you like Sherry Bombs, TW has the Deanston 10 PX Cask Strength, the price is great on that one $59.99 I like it quite a bit especially as a desert pour.

• I like it 1

On 12/27/2017 at 9:22 PM, Government Beard said:

IMG_0524.thumb.JPG.ae0d6e738c83174fbb73439d1c0c724a.JPGHaving a taste of this tonight.

This was the bottle that got me hooked on Scotch.   Still keep a bottle around and enjoy it.

• I like it 1

39 minutes ago, NDN98 said:

This was the bottle that got me hooked on Scotch.   Still keep a bottle around and enjoy it.

Nice! My first time having

15 hours ago, Government Beard said:

Nice! My first time having

This is the counterpart to KC in my area. When friends drag you to a crappy dive bar, they often have this and no other decent Scotch. Always saves the day.

Celebrating the return of 40 degree weather in NJ with a nice pour of Glenfarclas 105.  My favorite sherry bomb (meaning the one open on the bar).  More consistent than the Aberlour A'bunadh batches.  Admit I'm tempted by the Deanston...  But I AM trying to clear the clutter on the bar.

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, El Vino said:

Celebrating the return of 40 degree weather in NJ with a nice pour of Glenfarclas 105.  My favorite sherry bomb (meaning the one open on the bar).  More consistent than the Aberlour A'bunadh batches.  Admit I'm tempted by the Deanston...  But I AM trying to clear the clutter on the bar.

A reminder of the fact that I need to grab that Glenfarclas 105 I keep leaving on the shelf one of these days, if only to do a SBS with A'bunadh and the Deanston 10 and then sleep really well. Me I'm capping the night with Talisker Storm which inevitably means I will actually cap off with a small pour of Talisker 10.

• I like it 1

Had a last minute decision on what to fill a 100 mL bottle with for a quick trip - knowing I might not even get to it, and if I did - might not be in a position to really enjoy it.  Enter Clan MacGregor (375 mL I bought to check the box and ensure there wasn't some bottom shelf gem I was missing).  Spoiler alert - not missing anything.  But, reminds me of Scotch - and makes me thankful for what I've got back home :)  

Having an off night, this old dog, and I do mean dog, was always good for such occasions. 

IMG_20180111_214933817.jpg

• I like it 1

Moving on.. this is so different to the 16. Not tried the 10 yet. 

This is fruity and sweet compared to the 16s earthy savouriness. 

Screenshot_20180112-222818.jpg

• I like it 1

IMG_0583.thumb.jpg.ad2ff7a48485d2af0692f5dafef99aef.jpg

Blended Highland Malt aged in sherry casks.  40%.  Nice enough.  For what it is, I prefer the Macallan 12.

• I like it 1

On 1/12/2018 at 4:29 PM, beasled said:

Moving on.. this is so different to the 16. Not tried the 10 yet. 

This is fruity and sweet compared to the 16s earthy savouriness. 

Screenshot_20180112-222818.jpg

Is it worth the price though?  It's a little spendy for 11 years

Edited by jvd99

12 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Is it worth the price though?  It's a little spendy for 11 years

No. Springbank have put out a statement talking about why the price is what it is for these and that's fine but in a value for taste test, definitely not. 

I’m putting a hurtin’ on the last third of my bottle of Yellow Spot. Damn, I love this Irish whiskey. I should’ve grabbed a back up when I got the OF 1920 today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.