Wm. Heavenhill Single Barrel 2017, 14-year, 115-proof

Richnimrod
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

OK.

I couldn't wait for a 'special occasion' to uncork the Wm. Heavenhill S.B. I grabbed at the HH Gift Shop last weekend.     It's been crying out to my from the back shelf where it's been languishing.    I just had to recuse it.

After tasting it during the Connoisseur Tasting at the gift shop, I just had to bring a bottle home with me.   Awfully dear at $250/750; but hey; it's only money, right? 

And... Always remember this: No matter how you pour it . . . Or Mix it . . . Or Chill it . . .

Money will never taste as good as even bottom shelf Bourbon.  

Thus was my thinking, and I'm not sorry I grabbed one.    But, I digress from the point of this post; my impressions of the bottle....

Nose was quite good; but actually belies the palate which is spectacular (if well-aged HH stuff is in your wheelhouse, as it is mine).      On the nose I picked up a slight hint of tobacco, and a decent amount of rickhouse mustiness and a little char; but mainly warm BOURBON-Y Caramel.     The palate was for me more of the same... MUCH More!    This is a Caramel and Brown Sugar bomb, with a little vanilla, plus a nice balance of baking spices and sweet tobacco behind the entry plus a mere hint of the HH minty-ness.     The finish is looooooooooooong and mostly sweet; but with a supporting structure of well-cured oak lumber.  

The only negative I can summon up for this one is this: I only have the one bottle!     Boo-hoo.

I wish you would have bought 2 also. Sounds like my kind of bourbon. Like I always say "there are trillions of dollars in the world, but only a few very good bourbons" you can always make more money.  

10 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I wish you would have bought 2 also. Sounds like my kind of bourbon. Like I always say "there are trillions of dollars in the world, but only a few very good bourbons" you can always make more money.  

Actually, I think it was a limit 'one-to-a-customer' thing.    Which isn't to say I couldn't have had my baby boy, who was with me at the time, grab one for which I coulda paid him back. 

But it is a LOT of money to shell out (for me at any rate) for a single bottle of whiskey, no matter how good it may be.

As I recall, when I bought my bottle of this a few months ago, the cashier scanned my drivers license barcode info into their sales system.  She said it was to ensure (as best they could) a one bottle per customer limit, specifically to discourage if not eliminate bottle flippers.

5 hours ago, brbnmafia said:

Heaven Hill is releasing quantities of these about every other week, from now until whenever. I've been told there is going to be a lot 

The label says a total of 30-barrels if memory serves (disclaimer: It doesn't serve all that well all the time).    I imagine some few barrels (10?) have already been bottled, and I assume a few will wind up 'low-fill',  so if the rest contain 130-bottles each, there well may be another couple thousand bottles yet to be sold... then again, I may be waaaay off.

• 1 month later...

Just cracked a bottle and tried this. Barrel 26/30. It is good whiskey for sure. It didn't blow my mind the way I would hope it would for the $250 price point though. I don't regret buying it or anything though, and we shall see how it evolves now that it's open. 

I tried this at the HH Gift shop this past summer. Not sure what barrel it was from. I really liked it, but ultimately could not pull the trigger at $250. If it had been $150 I would have bought a bottle for sure, I didn't think to me it was 2x better than some other LEs I can find (4R Ltd Ed SmB, etc.).

With that being said, I am sure there is some barrel variation with these. I'm glad you are really enjoying your bottle. It's great when you find a bottle that is just fantastic in every way.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.