Sourced

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There is a great TED talk by Rory Sutherland about "intangible value".  He argues that marketing can enhance the value of a product without costing additional labor or materials. If the consumer feels better about the product, then they are getting more from the transaction. 

I belive that some people get more from fancy marketing or packaging. Others focus on the content. I'd like to think that I'm a "content" guy because it feels like that is more profound. But, others may feel better to prove their insight by buying something that has a good story to go with it. I am not immune to a nice bottle with a stylish label. 

I think that products that are just packaged with a good story behind them do get real value to some consumers. Some people really feel better due to total package they buy, whether tangible, intangible, or only perceived. 

1 hour ago, Bullseye said:

There is a great TED talk by Rory Sutherland about "intangible value".  He argues that marketing can enhance the value of a product without costing additional labor or materials. If the consumer feels better about the product, then they are getting more from the transaction. 

I belive that some people get more from fancy marketing or packaging. Others focus on the content. I'd like to think that I'm a "content" guy because it feels like that is more profound. But, others may feel better to prove their insight by buying something that has a good story to go with it. I am not immune to a nice bottle with a stylish label. 

I think that products that are just packaged with a good story behind them do get real value to some consumers. Some people really feel better due to total package they buy, whether tangible, intangible, or only perceived. 

Quite true.

This is why many of us here advocate for blind tasting. Even those of us who know better can be fooled by our own biases and expectations. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.