Wild Turkey Decades #2??

Bourbinvestor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Decades has some good reviews. Surely no gimmicks out of WT. I'm itching to buy this bottle of Decades for $97 if it is even still there. But is has a #2 after it. Didn't Decades just come out? Is it different than the $150 version?  

20170922_172537.jpg

12 hours ago, flahute said:

There was more than one dump.

So does that mean all the positive reviews are meaningless to what is in that bottle and someone along the way has determined that #2 is not as good therefore should be sold for $97 instead of $150?

29 minutes ago, Bourbinvestor said:

So does that mean all the positive reviews are meaningless to what is in that bottle and someone along the way has determined that #2 is not as good therefore should be sold for $97 instead of $150?

I wouldn't think that they dropped the price because it's not as good. 

I don't see "Decades" on the bottle package in your pic. You sure this isn't just Master's Keep? The ones at my local store are clearly marked. FWIW, here the Master's Keep sells for a couple bucks less than the Decades. 

Joe

27 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I wouldn't think that they dropped the price because it's not as good. 

I don't see "Decades" on the bottle package in your pic. You sure this isn't just Master's Keep? The ones at my local store are clearly marked. FWIW, here the Master's Keep sells for a couple bucks less than the Decades. 

Joe

The other Masters Keep was in a blue box.

Since the picture is hard to read, what has the #2 on it the stores price tag or the box itself, as an observation Decades is the 2nd Master's Keep release after the 17 year old.

Masters Keep for 97$ is a good deal and I would suggest getting it if you're inclined.

An unusual pour, the 17 year age doesn't show too much. It was put in the barrel at pretty low proof if I remember right, and at cask strength was also pretty low ABV

If it's the Decades version which it appears from the color of the box, it's a different pour. Might still be worth picking up at that price...

Cheers,

Edited by RWBadley

39 minutes ago, RWBadley said:

Masters Keep for 97$ is a good deal and I would suggest getting it if you're inclined.

An unusual pour, the 17 year age doesn't show too much. It was put in the barrel at pretty low proof if I remember right, and at cask strength was also pretty low ABV

If it's the Decades version which it appears from the color of the box, it's a different pour. Might still be worth picking up at that price...

Cheers,

I have both if I had to recommend splurging for one based on enjoyment it would be Decades, agreed however that MK17 is really an interesting bird (all puns intended) and a worthwhile pour.

Just checked my Decades bottle there is in fact a batch number (1 in my case) on the neck label, so I would assume there are other batches out there.

Edited by kevinbrink

A store near me has one bottle of each in a glass case. They've been there for two or three months now. I reckon I should have paid more attention when I was there yesterday. ;)

Cheers! Joe

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Since the picture is hard to read, what has the #2 on it the stores price tag or the box itself, as an observation Decades is the 2nd Master's Keep release after the 17 year old.

Yes the store tag. 

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I have both if I had to recommend splurging for one based on enjoyment it would be Decades, agreed however that MK17 is really an interesting bird (all puns intended) and a worthwhile pour.

Just checked my Decades bottle there is in fact a batch number (1 in my case) on the neck label, so I would assume there are other batches out there.

Interesting. I guess I need to pull it out of the glass and check the neck label!

52 minutes ago, Bourbinvestor said:

Interesting. I guess I need to pull it out of the glass and check the neck label!

IMG_20170926_185347713.jpg

Just checked both bottles I have in bunker say Batch 1.   Also box has Decades on front bottom.   Already finished a bottle and liked it much better than MK17 so I decided to bunker a couple.   Wish I could have gotten them for $97.   

Okay, so I think I cracked this case for those who were trying to figure it out along with me. Under the Master's Keep "umbrella" there is 17 and Decades. The #2 on the store tag does seem to be the batch number.  I took the bottle out of the box and it absolutely says "Batch 0002". 

The strange part is that I was in Austin, TX yesterday at another Spec's and they also had a Wild Turkey Master's Keep Decades #2 for sale but the price was in the typical $140 range. 

So I ended up just asking someone else to buy me the $97 bottle for my birthday.  This way if for some reason batch 2 turns out to be a dud (which I doubt will happen) I will enjoy the bottle anyway because it was a nice birthday gift! 

On 9/26/2017 at 9:27 AM, Bourbinvestor said:

No. The stuff doesn't move very fast so someone is trying to encourage sales. Don't worry though. It's good stuff to my palate. Not everyone likes the older Turkey profile however which is why it sits around.

On 9/27/2017 at 10:22 PM, flahute said:

No. The stuff doesn't move very fast so someone is trying to encourage sales. Don't worry though. It's good stuff to my palate. Not everyone likes the older Turkey profile however which is why it sits around.

Thanks! I saw another batch 0002 out of the box behind some glass today for sale for $159.99. So I know for a fact I got some solid bourbon to share with friends and family at a steep discount!

• 10 months later...

I too have a batch 002 per the neck label. I am surprised that a limited release would even have more than 1 batch. Prior  to my purchase I thought perhaps this batch # instead related to releases ( MK17 as #1, Decades as #2, Revival #3...). Given the price I doubt there are a ton of SBSs going on but it would be interesting to know of any differences exist between 1&2, I haven't heard of anything past 2 so I assume decades is confined to 2 batches. Still I don't understand the purpose of more than a single batch, was there a tank that filled to the brim could only fill X# of bottles,  then was refilled with a separate group of 10-20yr barrels and that "batch" filled the remaining bottles? If thats the case one would expect variation between 1&2.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.