Michter's toasted rye - anyone tried?

BottledInBond
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone tried the toasted barrel version of Michter's rye yet? I thought the toasted barrel bourbon was interesting, and I thought the barrel strength Michter's rye was OK, so I assume this would be decent. But, call me Michter's skeptical in general so figured I would check here in case any of you have any thoughts on it yet. Cheers

Love the Michter's barrel strength rye, hate the toasted barrel bourbon. Very curious to find out if the toasted barrel rye is any better.

7 hours ago, flahute said:

Love the Michter's barrel strength rye, hate the toasted barrel bourbon. Very curious to find out if the toasted barrel rye is any better.

Again, we agree.  We should go in for DNA tests, as I'm sure we're related...:D  

I found the toasted barrel bourbon to have an artificial sweetener overtone which was very unappealing to me.  Totally distracted me from gaining anything positive from the whiskey.  That alone would work to steer me away from this rye version of it.  But, seeing I'm just a half click  behind Harry in the total lack of self restraint department, I'll probably cave and get one anyway...And, I do have room behind my dining room door...:)

I didn't like the toasted bourbon either, in fact I think I poured the remaining third down the sink. 

That said, I'm kind of hoping this is like Hillrock's double cask rye but with higher proof. 

7 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Again, we agree.  We should go in for DNA tests, as I'm sure we're related...:D  

I found the toasted barrel bourbon to have an artificial sweetener overtone which was very unappealing to me.  Totally distracted me from gaining anything positive from the whiskey.  That alone would work to steer me away from this rye version of it.  But, seeing I'm just a half click  behind Harry in the total lack of self restraint department, I'll probably cave and get one anyway...And, I do have room behind my dining room door...:)

Ha! As further proof, the artificial sweetener overtone is what I got from it as well. I tried really hard to make it work but ended up pouring it down the drain.

The rye will be a bar pour for me. Seattle bars love the Michter's lineup so I'll have no trouble finding it.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Ha! As further proof, the artificial sweetener overtone is what I got from it as well. I tried really hard to make it work but ended up pouring it down the drain.

The rye will be a bar pour for me. Seattle bars love the Michter's lineup so I'll have no trouble finding it.

Ya know, I'm thinkin'...if it turns out we're brothers, maybe Harry's our dad????   We seem to share a lot in common with him...:lol:

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Ya know, I'm thinkin'...if it turns out we're brothers, maybe Harry's our dad????   We seem to share a lot in common with him...:lol:

Oh man........that childhood would have been an absolute hoot. We'd be in so much trouble and Harry would be right there with us trying to figure out how to keep it from mom.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.