What rye are you drinking? Fall 2017

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Back to this store pick Double Rye, I love this one, really need to bunker a few more.

How does this compare to the Rendezvous? I've probably had all HW ever released, but the Double Rye.

Just now, Kane said:

How does this compare to the Rendezvous? I've probably had all HW ever released, but the Double Rye.

I would take regular RR over DR but this store pick is something special there is a spice note I haven't identified that really makes it stand out to me.  Interestingly I have a RR store pick which is similarly proofed and also aged an additional 2.5 years in bourbon barrels that doesn't really differentiate itself as much from the regular release. Apart from when I'm in the mood for MWND this store pick is my favorite of my open High West Bottles. Regular DR is good but would be my last pick out of the group, considering the price differences there's not really any shame in that.

IMG_20170930_002820919.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:49 PM, kevinbrink said:

Back to this store pick Double Rye, I love this one, really need to bunker a few more.

IMG_20170917_213119217.jpg

What is a "store pick"?

Regards, Jim

Edited by hawkeye62

Had some Woodinville Whiskey cask strength rye last night. Had in the company of some 4R greats and it held it's own. Not as good, but not getting blown out either. I'm impressed with this whiskey.

3 hours ago, hawkeye62 said:

What is a "store pick"?

Regards, Jim

Never mind, I Googled it.

Regards, Jim

6 hours ago, hawkeye62 said:

What is a "store pick"?

Regards, Jim

Late to see this, but  I see you found your answer. FWIW, store pick and private selection are the same thing.

Joe

2 hours ago, hawkeye62 said:

Never mind, I Googled it.

Regards, Jim

While most store picks are just an individual barrel or batch of a standard product, HW takes it a bit further and offer up products with secondary cask maturation and bottle them at a higher proof. Some of the others I have seen have been finished in various wine barrels, Campfire Barrels or even the barrels they used to age their barreled cocktails.  

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heard so many good things about it that I picked up a bottle of Pikesville Rye last night at P & M.

I had a Masterson's 10 year tonight at a bar. Very interesting that this is supposedly from the same source as WhistplePig - the flavor profile is quite a bit different, more nutty while WP is a bit more fruity. The family resemblance to Lock Stock & Barrel 13 and 16 year is very clear though, this is obviously just a bit younger version of the same stuff. All in all a good pour but I prefer WP10, especially the BP store picks.

• I like it 1

Tried the Barrell Rye batch #1. Not my cup of tea and I certainly wouldn't spend the $85 MSRP on a bottle of it

Hey all!

I'm completely new to rye whiskey, but want to give them a try. I just need a little direction and help from all you SB geniuses.

I prefer wheat bourbons (or bourbons on the sweeter side); my current favorite bourbons are as follows (in order):

- Larceny

- Weller 12

- Old Forester 1920

- Eagle Rare 10

I like any bourbon that has a lot of sweet notes on the palate, with a medium to long finish. A nice bit of heat is usually welcome.

If you need any more info to help me decide some rye whiskeys to try, let me know.

I'm excited to hear all of the suggestions!

Cheers!

Edited by Bourbon Fanatic

51 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Hey all!

I'm completely new to rye whiskey, but want to give them a try. I just need a little direction and help from all you SB geniuses.

I prefer wheat bourbons (or bourbons on the sweeter side); my current favorite bourbons are as follows (in order):

- Larceny

- Weller 12

- Old Forester 1920

- Eagle Rare 10

I like any bourbon that has a lot of sweet notes on the palate, with a medium to long finish. A nice bit of heat is usually welcome.

If you need any more info to help me decide some rye whiskeys to try, let me know.

I'm excited to hear all of the suggestions!

Cheers!

Pikesville. You are all set.

EDIT: Okay, I'll play nicely and elaborate on my suggestion a bit :) Pikesville is extremely well made, readily available, and one of the more bourbon-like ryes out there with a lot of corn sweetness, and other typical bourbon flavors. It is also high proof, and comes at a decent 6yo. Many here will agree that it is an all around great drink.

If you want to try something with a better pronounced rye character, you should definitely give High West Rendezvous a try.

Also I skipped some of the cheaper alternatives out there. I believe in the power of first impressions!

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 2

^^^^The obvious 'step down' would be Rittenhouse.  4 year old, 100 proof version of the Pikesville.  Both are 'barely legal' ryes (at 51%), so you should find more similarities (to bourbon) than differences...

• I like it 1

Pikesville and Rittenhouse are both good recommendations if you lean towards the sweeter side. I would go straight for the Pikesville unless money is a factor, it's basically everything that is good about Rittenhouse but better. Rittenhouse is great for the money considering it's about half the price, but Pikesville is fantastic.

Russell's Reserve at 65% or so rye is a good bet too, either the standard 6 year or the Single Barrel (which is one of my favorite ryes but a bit harder to find).

Edited by EarthQuake

I concur with the above recommendations, Pikesville followed by RR after that maybe Sazerac.  If you like spice with your sweet I'm going to say Knob Creek Rye would be a good one too.

On 10/14/2017 at 7:27 AM, BigRich said:

I spent some time with the new Jack Daniels Rye yesterday.

What did you think of it?  Just now showing up in Iowa.

What did you think of it?  Just now showing up in Iowa.

Very solid, well made, and with a distinct JD DNA to it. Not blow your socks off but a good utility rye for cocktails and occasional sipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • I like it 1

Having a little pour of Redemption 8 yr Barrel proof rye I bought today.  Man I love that MGP rye.  I am really going to enjoy this bottle.  

Had the day off today decide to crack this, it is fantastic, wish it was cheaper but far from a disappointment.

IMG_20171023_170352240.jpg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.