What rye are you drinking? Fall 2017

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The power of suggestion......thanks, Kevin.

Damn this ish is good!

I agree it's somewhat expensive, but I really like it.

Reminds me of the old Rocky mountain rye from high west. :)

IMAG2480.jpg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

The power of suggestion......thanks, Kevin.

Damn this ish is good!

I agree it's somewhat expensive, but I really like it.

Reminds me of the old Rocky mountain rye from high west. :)

IMAG2480.jpg

I find it really drinkable for the proof, so much so that I wish it was upped a little, knowing this isn't cask strength makes me wish I knew what it tasted like before the water was added.  I'll also add, that I chased it with a pour of Hochstadter's Vatted and that showed really well following it up. Next time I have some friends over I think I'm going to need to do a blind SBS with a few other high proof ryes.  

A soccer buddy of mine got one in a recent lottery.  I haven't seen him since so I don't know how much he paid.  I am curious about it but will wait to try it until I can find someone who will share.

I am drinking standard Whistlepig 10.  Obviously, not their stuff and a little overpriced but I really like it.

Started out with the KO Rye, I like it quite a bit and ended up picking up a second bottle. While I was sipping it I fired up Youtube on the Roku and Ralfy was reviewing Alberta Premium 30 year, figured that was a good enough reason to follow the KO with some Canadian Rye so I had a pour of Crow Royal Hand Selected Barrel (TWCP) and followed that with a Store Pick Masterson's, I like this one and it's been on sale for quite a while for $50 which is probably the price I'm willing to pay for it considering I can find WhistlePig for a $10 more. 

My resistance may be crumbling. Good reviews of the "Owl" and now an opportunity to get a bottle has become available to me. My resistance was never very strong to begin with... :unsure:

Edited by tanstaafl2

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

My resistance may be crumbling. Good reviews of the "Owl" and now an opportunity to get a bottle has become available to me. My resistance was never very strong to begin with... :unsure:

I was on the fence and now I have two bottles, if you want someone to talk you out of it the wrong person is writing this post. 

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

It's terrible, don't buy.

(Did it work?)

Picked up a second bottle today for $120. Drinking it now and I think a few drops of water help it out. Just a little hot as it’s bottled. Nice spice, slightly minty. I’m enjoying it. 

Had pours of Whistlepig store pick barrel proof (Blackwell's) the last few nights, very good. This bottle is starting to run low.

I'm jealous of everyone talking about KO Rye, I would like to try it but haven't found anywhere that has a bottle under roughly double the retail price. Oh well, I bought 2 more bottles of WP 120 proof from Blackwell's as a consolation.

15 hours ago, Kane said:

It's terrible, don't buy.

(Did it work?)

Nope! Its a done deal. :D

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Had pours of Whistlepig store pick barrel proof (Blackwell's) the last few nights, very good. This bottle is starting to run low.

I'm jealous of everyone talking about KO Rye, I would like to try it but haven't found anywhere that has a bottle under roughly double the retail price. Oh well, I bought 2 more bottles of WP 120 proof from Blackwell's as a consolation.

Now that I live in Austin, I'm able to keep a Spec's store pick of WPBP in my bar. Life is good. 

Although I did pass on an opportunity for a KO Rye for $140 the other day. 

Currently this is keeping me entertained. It is an absolute sherry beast. 

20171023_191639.jpg

Picked up a second bottle today for $120. Drinking it now and I think a few drops of water help it out. Just a little hot as it’s bottled. Nice spice, slightly minty. I’m enjoying it. 

I was interested until the “slightly minty”.

I’m dying for somebody to come out with aged rye, that is more in the barely rye category, that is not minty!

It’s like the world forgot what that can be like, and how good it is.....

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, IncredulousNosco said:

Now that I live in Austin, I'm able to keep a Spec's store pick of WPBP in my bar. Life is good. 

Although I did pass on an opportunity for a KO Rye for $140 the other day. 

Currently this is keeping me entertained. It is an absolute sherry beast. 

20171023_191639.jpg

I'm interested in that one, is there an age statement on it? 

12 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Nope! Its a done deal. :D

Do NOT pour this for me! This time I really don't want to know!!!

10 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Do NOT pour this for me! This time I really don't want to know!!!

It might end up as a mislabeled sample...  :lol:

• I like it 2

I'm trying to recall all the pours I had last night. It was Rye heavy at a party at my friend's place. Some Pikesville, some baby Saz, some Double Rye, and a bunch of KY Owl Rye. I told a few guys to try it so that bottle took some lumps. The guy who was hosting got lucky because I dug a Booker's Rye out of his bunker and was about to open it but felt bad that it was going to get abused too. He has the right attitude though and told me to open it if I wanted to. Good party

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

The guy who was hosting got lucky because I dug a Booker's Rye out of his bunker and was about to open it but felt bad that it was going to get abused too. He has the right attitude though and told me to open it if I wanted to. Good party

Right attitude indeed. I am typically happy to share most everything as well but the part about digging a "Booker's Rye out of his bunker and was about to open it" would have me a bit concerned.

Guests are free to ask about anything they want to try but I probably would not have been quite so happy to have somebody digging something out of my bunker without my knowledge, especially if it wasn't already open, that they hadn't asked about FIRST. I might not have said anything at the time but future invitations could get a bit scarce... :o

Edited by tanstaafl2

On 10/27/2017 at 7:34 AM, EarthQuake said:

Is this from the Blackwell's in San Francisco?

1 hour ago, Kpiz said:

Is this from the Blackwell's in San Francisco?

That is the one, though I double checked my bottle and it's from Stagecoach (in LA I think). I ordered two more from Stagecoach, who have a 120 and I think a 111 proof barrel as well.

Blackwell's has a single barrel right now too, I haven't tried that one but I imagine it is good as well. The Wine and Cheese Club has two barrels too.

Edited by EarthQuake

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Right attitude indeed. I am typically happy to share most everything as well but the part about digging a "Booker's Rye out of his bunker and was about to open it" would have me a bit concerned.

Guests are free to ask about anything they want to try but I probably would not have been quite so happy to have somebody digging something out of my bunker without my knowledge, especially if it wasn't already open, that they hadn't asked about FIRST. I might not have said anything at the time but future invitations could get a bit scarce... :o

Yeah in general such a story of digging bottles out of someone else's bunker might sound a little scandalous. This particular guy and I have a well established understanding when it comes to whiskey though. I wouldn't touch someone else's high end bottles if I wasn't confident about how my actions would be recieved. I'm pretty confident that this guy also knows that he could dig through any bottles at my house without me caring. This dynamic is part of my Bourbon Zen

1 hour ago, EarthQuake said:

That is the one, though I double checked my bottle and it's from Stagecoach (in LA I think). I ordered two more from Stagecoach, who have a 120 and I think a 111 proof barrel as well.

Blackwell's has a single barrel right now too, I haven't tried that one but I imagine it is good as well. The Wine and Cheese Club has two barrels too.

Gotcha, thanks! It's interesting to hear about folks from other states talk about ordering from local (SF) stores. Blackwell's and SFWTC seem to get quite a bit of business from outside the area.

On 10/27/2017 at 7:49 PM, kevinbrink said:

I'm interested in that one, is there an age statement on it? 

NAS. It's straight,  so it's at least 2 years. 

4 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Gotcha, thanks! It's interesting to hear about folks from other states talk about ordering from local (SF) stores. Blackwell's and SFWTC seem to get quite a bit of business from outside the area.

I don’t think a lot of places are willing to ship. So the ones that are can pick up scattered online only business. 

3 minutes ago, IncredulousNosco said:

NAS. It's straight,  so it's at least 2 years. 

Straight with no age statement should be 4 years, sub 4 years requires an actual age statement as far as I know.

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Straight with no age statement should be 4 years, sub 4 years requires an actual age statement as far as I know.

You're right of course. Memory lapse. 

Regarding it, you kind of need to like youngish MGP to really dig it. And while it ain't no AMwND or AERye, personally I prefer it to WPOW and HWYKY. It's crazy sherry monster with MGP rye spice. It's smells like a bag of raisins. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.