What rye are you drinking? Fall 2017

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Straight with no age statement should be 4 years, sub 4 years requires an actual age statement as far as I know.

While that's true, I'd be surprised if that was the case here as both the standard and the barrel proof versions are right around 2 years (or as they put it, "aged over 2 years"). 

5 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

While that's true, I'd be surprised if that was the case here as both the standard and the barrel proof versions are right around 2 years (or as they put it, "aged over 2 years"). 

While my bottle of JEPCS Rye does indeed state "aged over 2 years," the Sherry Finished bottle does not. Therefore...

12 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

The converse argument would of course be that since they have consistently provided age statements that you can trust that this is 4 years old. 

25 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

The converse argument would of course be that since they have consistently provided age statements that you can trust that this is 4 years old. 

It certainly could be but I wouldn’t point to the label and rules as definitive proof. How is this priced compared to the rest of the line. My recollection is that standard is around $30 and BP is around $40. For double the age I would expect this to be north of $50.   

Edit - and I’ll add that their “Aged over two years” is already a violation as it’s not a specific age statement. So they’ve already shown that they don’t follow the labeling rules. 

Edited by JoeTerp

2 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

It certainly could be but I wouldn’t point to the label and rules as definitive proof. How is this priced compared to the rest of the line. My recollection is that standard is around $30 and BP is around $40. For double the age I would expect this to be north of $50. 

It's $40 here, the regular is $25 and the BP is around $35.

I tried the Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Rye last night and, based upon the reviews I had seen, was not prepared to like it much. I was surprised by it, especially with its nice mouthfeel and level of spice. I'm afraid my nose has been through too much of life, as has my palate, to articulately sense or describe the results of nosing and tasting, never seeming to pick up any 'notes' anymore. I do sip slowly and patiently, enjoying these spirits in my own deficient way. The JDSBR worked just fine for me and was not at all disappointing. I would probably choose both Pikesville 110 and RRSB over it, but, for me at least, it deserves a seat at the table.

33 minutes ago, Ace1943 said:

I tried the Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Rye last night and, based upon the reviews I had seen, was not prepared to like it much. I was surprised by it, especially with its nice mouthfeel and level of spice. 

Have you had the new JD Rye yet? I think they really did well by releasing it at 45% ABV. And so far as my notes and memory serve, it tastes pretty much exact the same as JDSB Rye. 

I don't hate it, but I dont think I need to buy it again--either one. But now you can have banana bubblegum whiskey for only $25.

Someday I hope they release a SBBP Rye the same quality as their standard JDSBBP.

Edited by IncredulousNosco

14 minutes ago, IncredulousNosco said:

now you can have banana bubblegum whiskey for only $25.

Ha! So they kept the house style consistent with the rye too.

22 hours ago, IncredulousNosco said:

You're right of course. Memory lapse. 

Regarding it, you kind of need to like youngish MGP to really dig it. And while it ain't no AMwND or AERye, personally I prefer it to WPOW and HWYKY. It's crazy sherry monster with MGP rye spice. It's smells like a bag of raisins. 

Well regardless of how old it actually is, that's pretty good company for it to occupy given the price point.  WPOW is likely 2.5 - 3 times the price.

13 hours ago, Ace1943 said:

I tried the Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Rye last night and, based upon the reviews I had seen, was not prepared to like it much. I was surprised by it, especially with its nice mouthfeel and level of spice. I'm afraid my nose has been through too much of life, as has my palate, to articulately sense or describe the results of nosing and tasting, never seeming to pick up any 'notes' anymore. I do sip slowly and patiently, enjoying these spirits in my own deficient way. The JDSBR worked just fine for me and was not at all disappointing. I would probably choose both Pikesville 110 and RRSB over it, but, for me at least, it deserves a seat at the table.

For me it's not an issue of how it compares to Pikesville and RRSB I wouldn't expect it to be comparable since they are twice the price, but for my dollar it doesn't perform well against Rittenhouse, Dickel or Sazerac Rye which are in the same price range if you are expecting it to taste like a Rye. If you want something that tastes like Tennessee Whiskey on the other hand not a bad deal especially since it is higher proof than regular JD.  To me, and I can only assume it is because of the Lincoln County Process filtration, I get simmilar flavors that I get in regular Jack maybe a tiny bit more spice that could just as easily be due to the proof as much as the mashbill.

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

For me it's not an issue of how it compares to Pikesville and RRSB I wouldn't expect it to be comparable since they are twice the price, but for my dollar it doesn't perform well against Rittenhouse, Dickel or Sazerac Rye which are in the same price range if you are expecting it to taste like a Rye. If you want something that tastes like Tennessee Whiskey on the other hand not a bad deal especially since it is higher proof than regular JD.  To me, and I can only assume it is because of the Lincoln County Process filtration, I get simmilar flavors that I get in regular Jack maybe a tiny bit more spice that could just as easily be due to the proof as much as the mashbill.

I may be mistaken, but where I am getting my whiskey the JDSBR is $54.99, the Pikesville less at $49.99 and the RRSBR is ten dollars more than the JDSBR, so they are all in the same rough pricing area. Correct me please if I am wrong here.

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, Ace1943 said:

I may be mistaken, but where I am getting my whiskey the JDSBR is $54.99, the Pikesville less at $49.99 and the RRSBR is ten dollars more than the JDSBR, so they are all in the same rough pricing area. Correct me please if I am wrong here.

Nope your right, I was thinking the new JD Straight Rye, too early and was up way too late last night!

Since the mini of Bare Knuckle was a strikeout (keeping it in the series frame of mind) I’m following it up with some Saz which doesn’t disappoint. It’s got that spice which the 12 month age stated Knuckle lacked.

Giving a second chance to Crown Royal Northern Harvest. More flavor after a few weeks of aeration, but ethanol is still at the forefront. Not impressed.

Does Canadian rye even go under this thread?

12 hours ago, Kane said:

Does Canadian rye even go under this thread?

Yes it does, otherwise nobody would ever read about Whistlepig, etc. IMO the category should be switched to just Rye whiskey, since so much of it comes from Canada. It's not like we're at risk of the threads being overtaken by Millstone comments.

Edited by The Black Tot

Air really killed this. Not that it was sensational but it was okay. One of the most Rye forward Ryes I have ever had; even with the Port finish.

unnamed-1.thumb.jpg.1bf75bc79fcf9690b1b8b46df5119909.jpg

Started off with some THH (2014) while making dinner (stood up well to the Chorizo-spiced pork burgers), and enjoying a mingle of Collingwood 21yr + 5 yr WFE.  

33 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Started off with some THH (2014) while making dinner (stood up well to the Chorizo-spiced pork burgers), and enjoying a mingle of Collingwood 21yr + 5 yr WFE.  

2014 THH is fantastic.  Savor that stuff!

• I like it 1

2 HW store picks tonight for the wife & I.

Double Rye! On the left

Rendezvous Rye on the right

Both delicious!

IMAG2570.jpg

101 Rye old fashioned. I get a lot of dill in this, a little overwhelming.  I did a side by side with a neat pour into a glencairn. I easily prefer the neat pour. 

18C568B4-4E51-444F-AB65-CAC1412DE39E.jpeg

I tried the WT101 last night for the first time.  I liked it.  I’d need to think more to actually describe it.  It had a little funky something going on.  I might sbs it with pikesville saz or HWRR 

Having been lured away from Bourbons and now into Ryes by my first experience with a Rye, the Pikesville 110, I am now in the process of acquainting myself with Ryes generally by trying some other brands. I generally drink two roughly two ounce drams a night, the first one being carefully attended to and the second one being a mop-up with something I already know well. The JEP Barrel Proof is often used for the second dram because it shines through whatever I've tasted before because of what others have described as its harshness.

Last night was the Sazerac 90 proof. Tasting it showed me the problem with starting on this journey with the Pikesville. I became a spoiled Rye brat!. I couldn't have known and avoided this because I had literally never had a Rye and just stumbled across the Pikesville accidentally. Now perhaps I will be able to get my Rye bearings and expand my palate a bit. The Sazerac surprised me by being right on the money in all respects. It was down a bit from the Pikesville in all areas as well, but that prompted me to do some thinking, and that I did, realizing that I had been spoiled. The experience showed me that I liked the Sazerac and that I have to remain open to evaluating new Ryes I drink on criteria other than merely comparing them to the Pikesville. The Pikesville sets an unfairly high bar. I'm looking forward to some others, tonight the Redemption 100, and am learning as I go.

HW MWND Act 3 Scene 2 while sitting out front listening to the crickets drone on.  This really is a fine whiskey, that starts velvety and sweet and then crackles with spice on the finish.  

I've never really understood the dill note people talk about in rye whiskey until tonight. Had a pour of a PS HWDR after some bourbon and all I'm getting is dill. I couldn't put my finger on it at first then it hit me. Pretty neat finding new aromas/flavors as you progress in the whiskey journey. 

HWRR for me tonight, probably will stay in the HW Rye family after this one just to figure out where to go!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.