What rye are you drinking? Fall 2017

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Speaking of HW.

2 years ago on our anniversary, my wife got me (us) the first bottle of rendezvous rye, that started a downward (?) Spiral into HW becoming basically our favorite rye ever.  We've consumed more HW rye in the last 2 years than any other whiskey period.  Mostly rendezvous, but also several mwnd, double rye, yippie-ki-yay, store picks, etc.

So .... In return, one of my only black market trades ever was for this, to surprise her.

And we opened it tonight on our 8th anniversary.

And it's really freaking good!

#worthit :D

IMAG2611_1.jpg

• I like it 2

I got to the Redemption Rye last night and enjoyed it. A certain Mr. Murray referred to it as having tobacco notes. I may have picked up a hint of that,

but was not put off by it. I found it a nice pour, richer perhaps than the prior night's Sazerac, and richer in spice notes as well. Tonight will be my first

pour of the Reservoir Rye. I am looking forward to that, having read good things about it. At the price, it had better be impressive.

I'm slumming it tonight, started with a pour of KO Rye which was really tasting great, decided it might be a good night to kick the last oz in a sample of Booker's Rye a nice blogger sent me, this is most definitely the best rye whiskey I have had. The KO is no slouch but the Bookers is insanely good. 

• I like it 2

This taste strictly like dill pickles tonight. Not that pickles are a negative :o

unnamed-4.thumb.jpg.2e56052b463f0d9424466301b1e2b741.jpg

Edited by Government Beard

My last couple of HWRR have also seemed a little more MGP influenced than I remembered early on. Even last year's Act 4 AMwND seemed that way, while Act 3 did not. 

I tried the Reservoir Rye last night and really was impressed by it. I liked the spicy finish, and the overall experience was on a par with my experiences with my Pikesville 110. The price is nearly double that of the Pikesville 110, so on a dollar for dollar basis the Pikesville still rules. There are some nice Ryes being produced in Virginia. Next up is the Whistlepig 10 year which I expect to be in the same league.

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:26 PM, 0895 said:

Speaking of HW.

2 years ago on our anniversary, my wife got me (us) the first bottle of rendezvous rye, that started a downward (?) Spiral into HW becoming basically our favorite rye ever.  We've consumed more HW rye in the last 2 years than any other whiskey period.  Mostly rendezvous, but also several mwnd, double rye, yippie-ki-yay, store picks, etc.

So .... In return, one of my only black market trades ever was for this, to surprise her.

And we opened it tonight on our 8th anniversary.

And it's really freaking good!

#worthit :D

IMAG2611_1.jpg

Those High West 16's were certainly lovely! This one is from the second release back in early 2016 I think (the difference is that the new one under where it says Rocky Mountain Rye says "A blend of straight whiskies" instead of "Straight Rye Whiskey" and then under where it says 16 years old the original bottle says "80% Rye". The second release had an unknown percentage of that that original 80% rye Barton whiskey that David dug out of some dark corner of Barton but was blended with some 16yo MGP. Still, the second release was pretty good stuff!

I had just been tasting the original 16 in a Wednesday tasting last week (and then again yesterday!) because it is just so damned good! 

5a04a27a332b7_Wednesdaytasting25OCT17KentuckyOwlRye5.jpg.bdd8b215ec69f8de8de7849e042c3417.jpg

3 hours ago, IncredulousNosco said:

My last couple of HWRR have also seemed a little more MGP influenced than I remembered early on. Even last year's Act 4 AMwND seemed that way, while Act 3 did not. 

I expect they are more MGP influenced now than they were.

The current website description says it still has both the 53% rye Barton and the 80% rye Barton but there is probably a good reason why MGP is listed first! There just can't be very much of those Barton ryes still left. And that MGP is probably the 5yo component and makes up the majority of the blend...

Ah, the good old days... B)

I poured 2 oz of good old Rittenhouse last night.  It did nothing less than flat out remind how great this whiskey is. 

Pikesville may be the belle of the ball but IMO, Rittenhouse is still the best bang for the buck rye in the land.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Those High West 16's were certainly lovely! This one is from the second release back in early 2016 I think (the difference is that the new one under where it says Rocky Mountain Rye says "A blend of straight whiskies" instead of "Straight Rye Whiskey" and then under where it says 16 years old the original bottle says "80% Rye". The second release had an unknown percentage of that that original 80% rye Barton whiskey that David dug out of some dark corner of Barton but was blended with some 16yo MGP. Still, the second release was pretty good stuff!

I had just been tasting the original 16 in a Wednesday tasting last week (and then again yesterday!) because it is just so damned good! 

5a04a27a332b7_Wednesdaytasting25OCT17KentuckyOwlRye5.jpg.bdd8b215ec69f8de8de7849e042c3417.jpg

I'd be interested in how you rank that lineup.

Just had a pour of 4R Al Young 50th and willett FE “my brown bunny” at Delilah’s in Chicago - both amazing in their own right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rittlepig blend @ 50/50.  I'd been a while and I really dig the extra layer of oak influence the older WP brings to the marriage.  

11 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

You could have invited me over... :(

14 hours ago, IncredulousNosco said:

I'll agree with this.

Batches from 2015 and older are always must buys for me.

21 hours ago, Paddy said:

I poured 2 oz of good old Rittenhouse last night.  It did nothing less than flat out remind how great this whiskey is. 

Pikesville may be the belle of the ball but IMO, Rittenhouse is still the best bang for the buck rye in the land.

It's good, especially for the dollars. But I'm not the biggest fan of banana pudding...and that the overwhelming note I get every since HH resumed production of Rittenhouse. 

On 10/30/2017 at 1:32 PM, BottledInBond said:

Yeah in general such a story of digging bottles out of someone else's bunker might sound a little scandalous. This particular guy and I have a well established understanding when it comes to whiskey though. I wouldn't touch someone else's high end bottles if I wasn't confident about how my actions would be recieved. I'm pretty confident that this guy also knows that he could dig through any bottles at my house without me caring. This dynamic is part of my Bourbon Zen

I can vouch for BIB's bourbon Zen. He has shared samples and picked up bottles for me that I have never tried and might never had tried. The nice thing about this hobby is enjoying special pours with others that appreciate the same passion. It's too bad that there are so many getting involved in this hobby that only buy hyped bottles to display on a mantle place as trophies.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.