What rye are you drinking? Fall 2017

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 12/18/2017 at 9:15 AM, kevinbrink said:

This is the most likely reason why (as posed in the Purchase thread) there isn't more or older Handy Rye.

They also need their own stock to set aside for Saz18 since that is no longer the old tanked stuff either. Now, whether they are using the Baby Saz / Handy mashbill for the future VWFRR bottling is unknown. They might be setting aside the EH Taylor Rye mashbill for VWFRR instead which is what I had previously heard, or future VWFRR could be a blend again as it almost always has been in the past (after the first few releases). They could also be blending in something else like a Barton distillate as others have suggested. After all the VW has frequently been blends from multiple sources for both the bourbons and the ryes. 

Edited by BottledInBond

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

Bare Knuckle American Rye. Not as good as CEHT or Pikesville ryes.

THX.  I saw it and wondered.  Based on some of your previous posts in which things I like/dislike somewhat track your likes/dislikes, I'll trust your judgment on this.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

15 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

THX.  I saw it and wondered.  Based on some of your previous posts in which things I like/dislike somewhat track your likes/dislikes, I'll trust your judgment on this.

That’s kind of you to say, Harry. But keep in mind I only sprang for the mini so it only set me back $2.49 if memory serves me correct. So if you run across one you might want to see if you feel like same.

But this brings up another topic of discussion namely does a whiskey in a plastic bottle taste the same as one in a glass bottle? I remember trying JD Rye in a plastic mini which was the most awful thing I’ve ever tasted. I wonder if the same juice in a glass bottle would’ve tasted any better?

5 hours ago, DCFan said:

Bare Knuckle American Rye. Not as good as CEHT or Pikesville ryes.

I quite agree. My tour of "crafty" Ryes has taken me through Bare Knuckle, Filibuster, Catoctin Creek, Copper Fox and some others. While they were interesting,

my return to Pikesville was welcomed. Last night was Kentucky Owl, and it surprised me quite a bit. The price is somewhat forbidding and a sign of the times, but

it was very interesting, and I thought it quite tasty. I'd still take the Pikesville I have bunkered over it, especially at an 80 dollar discount, but it was nice.

4 hours ago, DCFan said:

But this brings up another topic of discussion namely does a whiskey in a plastic bottle taste the same as one in a glass bottle? I remember trying JD Rye in a plastic mini which was the most awful thing I’ve ever tasted. I wonder if the same juice in a glass bottle would’ve tasted any better?

Excellent question.  I've wondered about this off and on - usually when I'm on an airplane and order something to pass the time.  I think those minis are 70 ml which is about 2.4 oz.  Hence, one bottle is slightly more than a standard 2 oz. shot.  But, unless I was in First Class, it always came with ice and was poured by the stew.  Nevertheless and even on overseas flights when I'd upgrade to bidness or first, I always thought that whatever I was drinking was diluted, under proofed, less than the advertised 2.4 oz., etc., as it always tasted homogenized, thin, nonspicy.

OTOH, I have NOT noticed any difference between 750ml plastic and 750ml glass.

Maybe we ought to start a new topic?????  I, too, am curious how others feel about this.

Crown Royal Northern Harvest. Still quite bad, tastes like bubble gum vodka to me, I just can't be convinced this is not a blend with grain alcohol.

Wasn't in the mood for a drink anyway, just something to keep me entertained while cooking dinner (at 3am...)

It was another "what the hell" moment at the liquor store-- but I'm not regretting it a bit. It's gonna be tough finding a follow-up to this one tonight.

IMG_8135.thumb.jpg.c2a360fd9f87786cf0f5a6433ac26467.jpg

46 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

It was another "what the hell" moment at the liquor store-- but I'm not regretting it a bit. It's gonna be tough finding a follow-up to this one tonight.

IMG_8135.thumb.jpg.c2a360fd9f87786cf0f5a6433ac26467.jpg

Nice topper on that bottle.  Mrssmokinjoe and I stopped in at the local Total Wines yesterday, and the salesperson was pushing on this one hard.  When TW pushes hard, that is usually a sign...

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cocktail time tonight. Settled on Sazerac.  I think I might make one from different ryes tonight. First one is Baby Saz. Willett 3 year is on deck. Ritt after that. Not sure if I'll make it to a clean up hitter. Only other ryes I have are KYOWL and some HW finished ryes...YKY and MWND. Don't think those would do well in a Sazerac. I thought the NOLA shot glass was appropriate. 

20180127_205409-1209x1612.jpg

Edited by Clueby

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.