kevinbrink

What rye are you drinking? Fall 2017

Masset1982

0870E81A-2F27-47B6-8600-61E79CDB0A43.thumb.jpeg.19799b744d3a5f4a82c0d25376d7f3f6.jpeg

Cheers y’all !

Will.

Ace1943

Just went through some Whistlepig a few nights ago, comparing it to Pikesville later which has been my modus operandi of late. Two nights ago the Bare Knuckle out of Manassas, VA got the head to head with Pikesville treatment, then last night was the Hudson Manhattan as well. I thought the Whistlepig was closest, the Bare Knuckle next closest and the Hudson was last in the running. I did enjoy them all, however, and am expanding my rye horizons after starting so stunningly with the Pikesville.

Government Beard

Last pour of the night. Really into the thickness of this Rye. The 16 month barrel finish adds a great layer.

Huzzah

IMG_0281.thumb.JPG.d927e2f2cf22e6e8988782377c5e75f1.JPG

Edited by Government Beard

Kepler

Bar had a great deal on "Black Prince" so I went with it. As good as advertised.  Best finish ever?  Probably.  For me anyway.  Wish I could afford a bottle. But glad I sampled it.

20171214_191040.jpg

Clueby

A cold night watching some hockey. This stuff is delicious.

20171214_210710-1209x1612.jpg

beasled

Working my way through a High West Rendezvous Rye. Tasting good. Cheers!

Government Beard

IMG_0446.thumb.JPG.166acd33a6f19be180ab865a409b7592.JPG

Brought this one to our family dinner today.

My mom won't leave it alone now. 

I've created a monster, LoL.

IMAG2898.jpg

flahute
On 12/14/2017 at 6:12 PM, Kepler said:

Bar had a great deal on "Black Prince" so I went with it. As good as advertised.  Best finish ever?  Probably.  For me anyway.  Wish I could afford a bottle. But glad I sampled it.

20171214_191040.jpg

Whoa there........

This is on I'd like to taste but price is of course a barrier.

In your estimation, what is this bottle worth? How much would you pay for it? Use whatever criteria suits you.

Kepler
2 hours ago, flahute said:

Whoa there........

This is on I'd like to taste but price is of course a barrier.

In your estimation, what is this bottle worth? How much would you pay for it? Use whatever criteria suits you.

If it were $300 instead of $450ish I'd go for it in a weak moment.  Probably even $350 in a very weak moment.  I'd like to try it again sometime and compare it to Booker's Rye, which blew my socks off back when I sampled it.   For me, the only drawback of Booker's was heat, and this black prince didn't have that problem for me. 

Another natural SBS I suppose would be Van Winkle rye.  FWIW, I once compared 2016 VW Rye to the previous Boss Hog ("Independent") and VW beat it easily.  But this black prince is better than my memory of Independent by a large margin.

Kane
57 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Van Winkle rye

Speaking of, does that thing still exist? I've never ever seen it IRL, not at well-known gougers that have Pappys stacked five deep, not at bars that charge $100 an oz. Is the mashbill known with any confidence?

Back to topic: Poured myself a Willett 2yr. As the bottle nears its demise, I feel like the initial grassiness & harshness started to disappear. Really enjoying this one these days, but I'll wait for more mature juice before I buy another Willett.

Kepler
23 minutes ago, Kane said:

Speaking of, does that thing still exist? I've never ever seen it IRL, not at well-known gougers that have Pappys stacked five deep, not at bars that charge $100 an oz. Is the mashbill known with any confidence?

It existed in the 2016 Van Winkle release but not this year.  I don't know the mashbill but maybe somebody else on here does.

Kepler
29 minutes ago, Kane said:

Back to topic: Poured myself a Willett 2yr. As the bottle nears its demise, I feel like the initial grassiness & harshness started to disappear. Really enjoying this one these days, but I'll wait for more mature juice before I buy another Willett.

I guess the standard bottling is now 3 years (replaced the 2 year maybe?) but I've never tried it and it's still a bit young I suppose.

flahute
5 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I guess the standard bottling is now 3 years (replaced the 2 year maybe?) but I've never tried it and it's still a bit young I suppose.

The 5yr is now out though not widely distributed yet. It's quite nice and unlike any of the other ryes on the market. Still, I believe it will be better at an older age.

flahute
38 minutes ago, Kane said:

13 minutes ago, Kepler said:

It existed in the 2016 Van Winkle release but not this year.  I don't know the mashbill but maybe somebody else on here does.

As Kepler said, it wasn't released this year. Last year and prior, it was all or mostly tanked whiskey from sources other than BT. It wasn't released this year because BT didn't have enough 13yr old whiskey. They had 12yr whiskey though. 

So, it will be back next year, but, nobody except BT employees will know what the mashbill is.