What Water of Life did you purchase today? Fall/Winter 2017-2018

Nm0369
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

It's a 2015 release, bottled at 55.9%

Yeah, regardless of the release I'm also a huge fan of unpeated Caol Ila, and it also helps that it is the only sanely priced bottle in the Diageo Special Release lineup. They don't always get top scores in reviews, and I find that very difficult to understand. I have the 2014 release open at the moment, 15yo @60.39%, which I will enjoy tonight!

BTW. Not sure if you are aware, but these are readily available in the US for a comparable price. I've had no difficulty finding any of the recent releases (2014-2017) so far.

Edited by Kane

Sampled the Compass Box No Name Thursday night at WhiskyFest NYC and was able to snag a bottle yesterday morning-- I don't think they'll last long out there.

IMG_7904.thumb.JPG.e0cc843ccc6b75d872db6a4bc8ff35b7.JPG

• I like it 1

I had never heard of this, also couldn't find much info on it, it was $50 and for some reason I decided to take a shot at it. Not bad, pretty sure blind I would have guessed this was an American Whiskey lots of caramel  and vanilla.

IMG_20171119_182154401.jpg

I was peaking around for bourbon today but came across these two. They've been on my 'to try' list and this was the first I've seen either.20171119_233728.thumb.jpg.aa0b928b334b4cd0d98fd31ee11d04d8.jpg

I was peaking around for bourbon today but came across these two. They've been on my 'to try' list and this was the first I've seen either.20171119_233728.thumb.jpg.aa0b928b334b4cd0d98fd31ee11d04d8.jpg

I have been looking for the Yamazaki 12 for a long time too, and finally found one while traveling this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I have been looking for the Yamazaki 12 for a long time too, and finally found one while traveling this week.

I cracked open the Yamazaki right after taking the picture. It's my first taste of a Japanese whisky, and I'm a fan!

4 hours ago, Kane said:

I have been looking for it, and finding it too! Finding it at around $70-80 is the tricky part :)

I definitely paid more than that for the Yamazaki, but that was the price range for the Hibiki haha.

I definitely paid more than that for the Yamazaki, but that was the price range for the Hibiki haha.

Yeah, mine also cost me more than $80, but not a whole lot more. I was actually surprised to find it for under $100 given how hard it has been to find.

3 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Yeah, mine also cost me more than $80, but not a whole lot more. I was actually surprised to find it for under $100 given how hard it has been to find.

I think I paid  $120 for the Yamazaki and  $70 for the Hibiki. When I shop around, I usually compare to Total Wine prices since they are the lowest I've seen in my local market for 99% of things. So if something I want is at a small LS and is within like 10-20% of TW price, I will usually grab it.

1 minute ago, Bnrhodes3 said:

I think I paid  $120 for the Yamazaki and  $70 for the Hibiki. When I shop around, I usually compare to Total Wine prices since they are the lowest I've seen in my local market for 99% of things. So if something I want is at a small LS and is within like 10-20% of TW price, I will usually grab it.

That's unfortunately the typical price these days.

On a different note, what's up with TW's online prices? They list Hakushu 12 for $115, it's always been the same as Yamazaki 12, so that makes sense. But just 2 weeks ago I went and picked up from their shelf a $79 Hakushu 12.

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

That's unfortunately the typical price these days.

On a different note, what's up with TW's online prices? They list Hakushu 12 for $115, it's always been the same as Yamazaki 12, so that makes sense. But just 2 weeks ago I went and picked up from their shelf a $79 Hakushu 12.

I'm not entirely sure. I asked a manager at one point and was told that prices will vary from market to market based on state taxes and distributors. $35 is a big drop though!

Picked this one up today.  First time trying this one, but I enjoy most Glenmorangie products.
AF65847E-884F-43FA-AA32-4CC8B1C5DC78.thumb.jpeg.be1a633fcd2edfbc621680327366cb04.jpeg

That's one of my regular pours these days when I'm in the mood for a reasonably priced Scotch that has some complexity of flavor. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was able to try both the Phenomenology and No Name at SF Whiskyfest and my favorite store finally got theirs in this week so I picked up one of each. Decided to splurge and add the new 2017 edition of the Glenmo Astar as well. Everyone needs a Thanksgiving present to get the holiday season kicked off, right?

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I was able to try both the Phenomenology and No Name at SF Whiskyfest and my favorite store finally got theirs in this week so I picked up one of each. Decided to splurge and add the new 2017 edition of the Glenmo Astar as well. Everyone needs a Thanksgiving present to get the holiday season kicked off, right?

A buddy of mine is a big Glenmorangie guy, amongst one of my shopping excursions I grabbed a bottle of the Astar for him since the place was a bit out of the way, apart from giving me the 80 something dollars he cracked it and we shared a nice pour and it was quite enjoyable.

I brought this in for my favorite LS owner to try, as he was disappointed that this blend wasn't making it Stateside. Hopefully we'll open it this afternoon.

collectivum_XXVIII.thumb.jpg.fe3d064de9809b4ac7854282b6e6e141.jpg

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

That's one of my regular pours these days when I'm in the mood for a reasonably priced Scotch that has some complexity of flavor. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Opened it last night and had a small pour.  Tasted very different than what I expected, but not in a bad way.  I was expecting it to taste similar to the Balvenie 21 Portwood, but to me, it was a little sweeter and a little fruitier.  All in all, a good Scotch for the $$.

20171124_105642.thumb.jpg.ed89e0d3fb0cf8ba7e483e9723d52696.jpg

I picked up a few at this price.  [emoji4]

Yeah, i would've walked out with two cases

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, Darwin said:

20171124_105642.thumb.jpg.ed89e0d3fb0cf8ba7e483e9723d52696.jpg

I picked up a few at this price.  :)

Please tell me this was the 8yr and not the 16yr, otherwise I'll be sick with jealousy, envy, etc.

Please tell me this was the 8yr and not the 16yr, otherwise I'll be sick with jealousy, envy, etc.

Yeah, me too!

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

Yeah, me too!

It's the 16 yo., I haven't seen the 8 yo here yet.    Normal price in Phoenix is $71+ 9% at TW&M, BevMo is $110 + 9%.  I saw it in Colorado for $110+ tax and just laughed.   

Every now and then Costco offers a great deal on single malts, I wish they would do more.  :)   They do have several cases of each, that stack is about 4' high.

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.