BOTM 10/17: ROCK HILL FARMS

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Speaking of grenades, some of the Virginia ABC stores I've been in recently have been featuring Blanton's 375s.  Being a value shopper, I always pass.

AS I just posted in another thread (like, what I bought lately), I did stumble (which was tough because the RHF was, literally, on a top shelf about ten feet off the floor) on one RHF @ average MSRP (circa $55).  Blantons tends to be slightly more (circa $60) although it is easier to find than RHF in the greater Wash DC Metro area.

Unless they changed it recently the Blanton's 375's are the value in VA as they are less than half price of the 750's.

8 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Unless they changed it recently the Blanton's 375's are the value in VA as they are less than half price of the 750's.

Thanks.  I just assumed . . .  That'll teach me, maybe.:rolleyes:  Note to self - stop typing late at night with bourbon in the other hand while trying to remember what was what two months ago.

On 10/4/2017 at 1:43 PM, lcpfratn said:

Broke open a bottle of RHF last night that I've had in my bunker for a while and just hadn't opened. Pretty good stuff. I think I'd slot it between ETL and Blanton's, which I believe is where Buffalo Trace has it positioned in their product inventory. Priced at around $50 it's a buy, but I'd buy Blanton's at $60 before I'd spend that on RHF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What makes a good buy depends on where you buy it.  I try not to spend much more than $50 for Blanton's when I know there are places I can get if for about $40. RHF may be more or less than Blanton's depending on the specific market and store where you find it.

My hold card was picked, and I grabbed a bottle of Rock Hill Farms last night. I can't wait to try the juice. My wife loves the bottle.

Ray

7 hours ago, graftonbc1 said:

My hold card was picked, and I grabbed a bottle of Rock Hill Farms last night. I can't wait to try the juice. My wife loves the bottle.

Ray

Don't think you'll be disappointed at all.  I mean it is BT Mash Bill #2 juice.

19 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Don't think you'll be disappointed at all.  I mean it is BT Mash Bill #2 juice.

Sipped half an ounce last night. Very nice and rich. The nose was simple, but the palate showed clove up front, followed by raisinets and butterscotch. A very nice finish showing some oaky vanilla. Heat started in the chest and worked back up. I am very pleased. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, graftonbc1 said:

Sipped half an ounce last night. Very nice and rich. The nose was simple, but the palate showed clove up front, followed by raisinets and butterscotch. A very nice finish showing some oaky vanilla. Heat started in the chest and worked back up. I am very pleased. 

TOLD YOU SO! :D

• I like it 1

On 10/6/2017 at 4:53 AM, JoeTerp said:

Interesting. That would make a great small gathering bottle. I have a use for such a size.

Do they sell the 375s in Kentucky or anywhere else?

I found the 375mL in CT (near Stratford) and 50mL in Brooklyn. I picked up quite a few of the 50mLs as potential holiday gift basket fodder-- as they're very jewel-like.

IMG_7746.thumb.jpg.1861f22a950a51a14b824fb96ab4a1db.jpg

20 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I found the 375mL in CT (near Stratford) and 50mL in Brooklyn. I picked up quite a few of the 50mLs as potential holiday gift basket fodder-- as they're very jewel-like.

That's so cute ❤️

• I like it 1

I picked up a bottle of RHF about a month ago. It is a nice bourbon, but there are several others at a much lower price that I would indulge in before hunting down a bottle of this again. My wife loves the bottle, though, and insists we display it prominently. It will most likely serve as a decanter once it is finished.

On 10/18/2017 at 3:38 AM, Marekv8 said:

Have never seen those very cool

On 10/25/2017 at 7:32 AM, graftonbc1 said:

I picked up a bottle of RHF about a month ago. It is a nice bourbon, but there are several others at a much lower price that I would indulge in before hunting down a bottle of this again. My wife loves the bottle, though, and insists we display it prominently. It will most likely serve as a decanter once it is finished.

I have a bottle, but have not opened yet. I will soon. When you say lower price point......Can you elaborate? I paid 45.

I ‘discovered’ RHF for myself around Christmas 2015 when the wife of a fellow bourbon drinker asked for ideas about what to get him for a gift.  Neither of us had tried it and it was not plentiful,  but available in multiple stores for $55. Once he opened it and I tried it, I was hooked.

I’ll echo Joe’s and others’ comments that it is less ‘refined ‘ than Blanton’s. To me, that is a huge plus. Blanton’s is so refined to the point of elegance that it’s somewhat boring to me unless I’m in the right mood for it. I much prefer ETL and RHF to it and I’ve managed to bunker a good bit of each. Now, Blanton’s SFTB is a whole ‘nother animal. That is a fantastic kick in the mouth. A distant fourth in the #2 mashbill is HPR. It’s pretty fairly available in MD but at $40+ does not seem to be a good value to me. 

RHF has the nose, mouthfeel, sweetness, kick and complexity that I love in a bourbon. It’s probably my favorite somewhat premium bourbon and what I would take to a desert island if I had but one pour to drink. 

• I like it 1

On 10/27/2017 at 2:20 PM, Dango said:

I have a bottle, but have not opened yet. I will soon. When you say lower price point......Can you elaborate? I paid 45.

For my palate, Knob’s Creek, Elijah Craig, Four Roses Single, and a few others are just as good at considerably less. 

Last night's pour to finish off October. Highly enjoyable! A splash of water really woke this up for me. Got a great caramel flavor that I really dig. Definitely a fave and I'll be on the look out for more. 

20171031_205018.jpg

• 1 month later...

Came across RHF in a Liquor Barn and was able to buy a pour, while I shopped. By far one of my favorite bourbons. I was able to pick up for $60 back home, which is what Blanton's cost when not being upcharged at independent stores. I like it much better than Blanton's, although I really enjoy Blanton's. Though I thoroughly enjoy drinking higher proof bourbons, so that's probably the reason why. 

• I like it 1

Low and behold, stopped by Packages and More just to say hello, and look what I left with.  An early Christmas present to myself!

IMG_2206.JPG

• I like it 2

Big fan of RHF.  I never see it in the south.  I have acquired a couple bottles over the past year or two in the NE.  I enjoy it sparingly.  Seems I have to do that with a lot of stuff these days....:(

• 3 weeks later...

I was between bottles when this BOM thread was posted by Joe. I really wanted to have a pour to remind me why I liked this so much. Sometimes I have to refresh my taste buds to discovery exactly what's there. I got my new bottles during the Holiday barrage of offerings and cracked it open Christmas Eve, and since my turn was up for the VBT I posted this on that topic. I'm putting here where it belongs. :)

APPEARANCE: Mid-Amber color and attractively packaged. Legs are many, thin, and evenly spaced.

NOSE: Let the pour sit for 15mins +. Fruit big up front with apple and pear. A soft citrus blend of orange and lemon swirl with caramel and wood. Some glove leather present.

TASTE: A thick and somewhat oily mouthfeel. Pears and musty caramel w/oak and hay. I'm reminded of another staple with the same profile of musty caramel and hay (but no relation at all). Sip after sip there are several distinctive flavors BUT they don't interchange or bloom. Subtle tobacco on the aftertaste. 

FINISH: Finishes with spicy citrus and mint. At mid-length it abruptly closes with some heat left.

This bottle has some of the profile of Old Forrester Signature, but with more fruit. It's about quitting time for me and I think I'll SBS those two once home and see if they are as similar as I'm thinking.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.