Jump to content
fishnbowljoe

BOTM 10/17: ROCK HILL FARMS

Recommended Posts

JoeTerp
1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Speaking of grenades, some of the Virginia ABC stores I've been in recently have been featuring Blanton's 375s.  Being a value shopper, I always pass.

 

AS I just posted in another thread (like, what I bought lately), I did stumble (which was tough because the RHF was, literally, on a top shelf about ten feet off the floor) on one RHF @ average MSRP (circa $55).  Blantons tends to be slightly more (circa $60) although it is easier to find than RHF in the greater Wash DC Metro area.

Unless they changed it recently the Blanton's 375's are the value in VA as they are less than half price of the 750's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry in WashDC
8 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Unless they changed it recently the Blanton's 375's are the value in VA as they are less than half price of the 750's.

Thanks.  I just assumed . . .  That'll teach me, maybe.:rolleyes:  Note to self - stop typing late at night with bourbon in the other hand while trying to remember what was what two months ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Flyfish
On 10/4/2017 at 1:43 PM, lcpfratn said:

Broke open a bottle of RHF last night that I've had in my bunker for a while and just hadn't opened. Pretty good stuff. I think I'd slot it between ETL and Blanton's, which I believe is where Buffalo Trace has it positioned in their product inventory. Priced at around $50 it's a buy, but I'd buy Blanton's at $60 before I'd spend that on RHF.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What makes a good buy depends on where you buy it.  I try not to spend much more than $50 for Blanton's when I know there are places I can get if for about $40. RHF may be more or less than Blanton's depending on the specific market and store where you find it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
graftonbc1

My hold card was picked, and I grabbed a bottle of Rock Hill Farms last night. I can't wait to try the juice. My wife loves the bottle.

 

Ray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CardsandBourbon
7 hours ago, graftonbc1 said:

My hold card was picked, and I grabbed a bottle of Rock Hill Farms last night. I can't wait to try the juice. My wife loves the bottle.

 

Ray

Don't think you'll be disappointed at all.  I mean it is BT Mash Bill #2 juice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
graftonbc1
19 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Don't think you'll be disappointed at all.  I mean it is BT Mash Bill #2 juice.

Sipped half an ounce last night. Very nice and rich. The nose was simple, but the palate showed clove up front, followed by raisinets and butterscotch. A very nice finish showing some oaky vanilla. Heat started in the chest and worked back up. I am very pleased. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CardsandBourbon
1 hour ago, graftonbc1 said:

Sipped half an ounce last night. Very nice and rich. The nose was simple, but the palate showed clove up front, followed by raisinets and butterscotch. A very nice finish showing some oaky vanilla. Heat started in the chest and worked back up. I am very pleased. 

TOLD YOU SO! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot
On 10/6/2017 at 4:53 AM, JoeTerp said:

Unless they changed it recently the Blanton's 375's are the value in VA as they are less than half price of the 750's.

Interesting. That would make a great small gathering bottle. I have a use for such a size.

 

Do they sell the 375s in Kentucky or anywhere else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8

I found the 375mL in CT (near Stratford) and 50mL in Brooklyn. I picked up quite a few of the 50mLs as potential holiday gift basket fodder-- as they're very jewel-like.

 

 

IMG_7746.thumb.jpg.1861f22a950a51a14b824fb96ab4a1db.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane
20 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I found the 375mL in CT (near Stratford) and 50mL in Brooklyn. I picked up quite a few of the 50mLs as potential holiday gift basket fodder-- as they're very jewel-like.

 

 

IMG_7746.thumb.jpg.1861f22a950a51a14b824fb96ab4a1db.jpg

 

That's so cute ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
graftonbc1

I picked up a bottle of RHF about a month ago. It is a nice bourbon, but there are several others at a much lower price that I would indulge in before hunting down a bottle of this again. My wife loves the bottle, though, and insists we display it prominently. It will most likely serve as a decanter once it is finished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
On 10/18/2017 at 3:38 AM, Marekv8 said:

I found the 375mL in CT (near Stratford) and 50mL in Brooklyn. I picked up quite a few of the 50mLs as potential holiday gift basket fodder-- as they're very jewel-like.

 

 

IMG_7746.thumb.jpg.1861f22a950a51a14b824fb96ab4a1db.jpg

 

Have never seen those very cool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dango
On 10/25/2017 at 7:32 AM, graftonbc1 said:

I picked up a bottle of RHF about a month ago. It is a nice bourbon, but there are several others at a much lower price that I would indulge in before hunting down a bottle of this again. My wife loves the bottle, though, and insists we display it prominently. It will most likely serve as a decanter once it is finished.

I have a bottle, but have not opened yet. I will soon. When you say lower price point......Can you elaborate? I paid 45.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Charlutz

I ‘discovered’ RHF for myself around Christmas 2015 when the wife of a fellow bourbon drinker asked for ideas about what to get him for a gift.  Neither of us had tried it and it was not plentiful,  but available in multiple stores for $55. Once he opened it and I tried it, I was hooked.

 

I’ll echo Joe’s and others’ comments that it is less ‘refined ‘ than Blanton’s. To me, that is a huge plus. Blanton’s is so refined to the point of elegance that it’s somewhat boring to me unless I’m in the right mood for it. I much prefer ETL and RHF to it and I’ve managed to bunker a good bit of each. Now, Blanton’s SFTB is a whole ‘nother animal. That is a fantastic kick in the mouth. A distant fourth in the #2 mashbill is HPR. It’s pretty fairly available in MD but at $40+ does not seem to be a good value to me. 

 

RHF has the nose, mouthfeel, sweetness, kick and complexity that I love in a bourbon. It’s probably my favorite somewhat premium bourbon and what I would take to a desert island if I had but one pour to drink. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
graftonbc1
On 10/27/2017 at 2:20 PM, Dango said:

I have a bottle, but have not opened yet. I will soon. When you say lower price point......Can you elaborate? I paid 45.

 

For my palate, Knob’s Creek, Elijah Craig, Four Roses Single, and a few others are just as good at considerably less. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Galvin0791

Last night's pour to finish off October. Highly enjoyable! A splash of water really woke this up for me. Got a great caramel flavor that I really dig. Definitely a fave and I'll be on the look out for more. 

20171031_205018.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×