2016 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

Richnimrod
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just to start a thread here for the new release of OFBB...

I've had notice from my local retailer that I can have a bottle, for (+-) $90.

Having been pretty disappointed in the last several OFBB's for the vastly increasing price points almost every year, I told him I'd wait a little while to see what is thought of this year's release by folx who have tasted it.

Soooo... Has anybody tasted this year's? 

Is it 'blow-your-hair-back-GREAT', or is it more like the last couple editions; over-priced, over-hyped, and only-good-but-not-great?

I shall await your impressions, knowing my opportunity may pass by while I do so.

3 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Just to start a thread here for the new release of OFBB...

I've had notice from my local retailer that I can have a bottle, for (+-) $90.

Having been pretty disappointed in the last several OFBB's for the vastly increasing price points almost every year, I told him I'd wait a little while to see what is thought of this year's release by folx who have tasted it.

Soooo... Has anybody tasted this year's? 

Is it 'blow-your-hair-back-GREAT', or is it more like the last couple editions; over-priced, over-hyped, and only-good-but-not-great?

I shall await your impressions, knowing my opportunity may pass by while I do so.

I will post the first useless response. So far I have only seen it for $200+ and at that price I won't be able to provide tasting notes;)

I'd take this at retail. Most BF product taste to young to me but a 12yr bottle of BF really intrigues me.

I haven't tasted it yet but some of my bourbon geek friends in Louisville have.  I was told that it had a "burnt orange" flavor to it.  Not objectionable but it was there.  Their response to my question of would you buy it was, "I wouldn't go searching for it but if I saw a bottle I would pick it up."  Not a ringing endorsement nor a condemnation.  Sort of 50/50 I guess.

I hope to pick up a bottle this weekend, unless it is too expensive or they run out before I get to the front of the line so if I do get one I'll let you know what I think.

Hmmm, the last OFBB I really liked was the '13.

The 1920 was so good I ended up with an extra bottle;  this years OFBB would have to be pretty darn good, and less than 90$ for sure- if I were to even think about laying down the coin

3 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I haven't tasted it yet but some of my bourbon geek friends in Louisville have.  I was told that it had a "burnt orange" flavor to it.  Not objectionable but it was there....

I'm intrigued by the "burnt orange" descriptor.  That is an uncommon note in most bourbons, but one that I tend to enjoy  when it comes along.  

1 minute ago, smokinjoe said:

I'm intrigued by the "burnt orange" descriptor.  That is an uncommon note in most bourbons, but one that I tend to enjoy  when it comes along.  

It's got me intrigued.  Something I've never tasted in a bourbon.

32 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Just noticing now, but this thread is like a year late....

I’m thinking Rich meant to say “2017”

• I like it 1

Just now, flahute said:

I’m thinking Rich meant to say “2017”

I would imagine so!

I had 2 pours of the 16 BB at Bourbons' Bistro. AT 40 bucks a pour I must have really liked it. In fact, I thought it was super. Thanks Gary for hooking me up to some.

I decided to get one of the 2017 just to keep the line going so I can compare it to the past few versions. But it is getting harder every year.

I will try it soon once we can get back to doing a Wednesday tasting but that will likely be at least a couple of weeks.

OOOOOOOOPS!!!!   You guys are correct.   I screwed up the thread title! 

I DID indeed mean 2017.  

I scooped up a bottle today; but am undecided about opening it up.     ...My almost-always-State-Minimum guy decided this one was worth $100 + $6 tax.

This is about as close as I'm likely to get to a bottle this year. 

They got one bottle. Not for sale. 

On the bright side, it will be open for the Bourbon and Pie event! OFBB (and others) and Pecan pie! Apple pie! Chocolate pie! 

Cheers, :P

image.jpg

Edited by RWBadley

• 1 month later...

I found it at one store.  They wanted $200 which made it an easy pass.

I went to my local, and there on the top shelf...A bottle.  I asked and he wanted $110.

So is this worth it?  Who has opened their bottle and gave it a taste?

I know it is difficult to find at retail but even at that price it is painfully pricey to me but $110 is not that much above the retail price I suppose.

We tried it a couple of weeks ago against the 2013 (which cost less than $40 at the time!). Nice enough whiskey but hard to "swallow" at the current retail price and not something I would buy again at retail. If you haven't had it before then it might be worth it to you at $110 but I definitely wouldn't pay the $200 secondary market price for it.

Bought a 2016 OFBB because I'd never had it. Was $84 IIRC... Did a SBSBS with '16 OFBB, 1920, and OFSiB. In my eyes (Mouth and nose actually) the 1920 won hands down. They pretty much all tasted like the same whiskey to me but the 1920 has so much more flavor IMHO and at $59 most places around me is a no brainer. I passed on the '17 OFBB, but picked one up for a friend who can't get it. We'll likely do a SBS with the '16 and '17 over Thanksgiving.

2 hours ago, BourbonGuy said:

I found it at one store.  They wanted $200 which made it an easy pass.

I went to my local, and there on the top shelf...A bottle.  I asked and he wanted $110.

So is this worth it?  Who has opened their bottle and gave it a taste?

I would say no. I did get a chance to try it and several others at Bourbon and Pie. Given the social aspect and mixing with pie- my take was the new Old Bardstown at 22$ was great stuff- a little simple, but man they did a great job on this. If I remember correctly it's put out by the new Willett distillery-

At the same event was a Rebel Yell 10 SB. At around 50$ this barrel was pretty OK- not as good as another barrel I have tried.  I thought it eclipsed the OFBB 2017 especially as a value proposition.

I would say if you can find a 1920 and maybe an extra to bunker- Be happy. It's the best of that bunch from what I can tell

Cheers,

RW 

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I know it is difficult to find at retail but even at that price it is painfully pricey to me but $110 is not that much above the retail price I suppose.

We tried it a couple of weeks ago against the 2013 (which cost less than $40 at the time!). Nice enough whiskey but hard to "swallow" at the current retail price and not something I would buy again at retail. If you haven't had it before then it might be worth it to you at $110 but I definitely wouldn't pay the $200 secondary market price for it.

Secondary market?  Two of the bigger liquor stores had it.  One wanted $200, the other $250.    Makes $110 sound reasonable.   Lets face it, when it comes to limited production, I have started thinking $100 (+/-) is normal.

Yes, true. Some LS are selling it at what would be considered, at least by me, to be the equivalent of secondary market pricing. I accept some increased pricing is going to occur at many stores with limited items and owners can do as the please. But I can do as I please as well and find it loathsome when it becomes 100% mark up or more. It would be, indeed it has been, reason enough for me not to shop for general liquor needs at such stores when I am aware of it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.