Knob Creek Single Barrel Rye!!!!!!

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, DCFan said:

There’s no description of the barrels or proof on the website or even a photo of the bottle.

Someone here please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, because I have a somewhat limited knowledge of the inner workings of the TTB and such. I'm pretty sure that when an entity files an application with the TTB, they have to await for approval before moving forward. FWIW, I seem to remember times in the past where a label/product was applied for and approved, but for whatever reason it never became a reality. This was only approved by the TTB on October 3rd. Beam can now proceed with it if they so choose. If they do decide to go ahead with this, it might take a while before anything becomes "official". 

Cheers! Joe

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Someone here please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, because I have a somewhat limited knowledge of the inner workings of the TTB and such. I'm pretty sure that when an entity files an application with the TTB, they have to await for approval before moving forward. FWIW, I seem to remember times in the past where a label/product was applied for and approved, but for whatever reason it never became a reality. This was only approved by the TTB on October 3rd. Beam can now proceed with it if they so choose. If they do decide to go ahead with this, it might take a while before anything becomes "official". 

Cheers! Joe

As far as I know this is true, could also be a gift shop type bottle, either way there is a chance this doesn't show up at retail but a guy can dream no?

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Cheers! Joe

Correct.

FWIW, my group has already inquired about this in regards to the private barrel program. We're being told it won't be available until next year.

Our Beam-Suntory rep forwarded information regarding this product. Seems this product is launching as a barrel selection product ONLY, no regular release. MSRP $50. No mention of age, but the sell sheet does say the expected yield per rye barrel (35 6-pack cases) is higher than Knob Creek SB (around 24 6-pack cases). Even adjusting for the proof difference, that suggests Knob Creek Rye is significantly younger than the bourbon.

I suspect the rye that I spoke of in the ABC website is the small batch 100 proof version. Sorry for the confusion.

14 hours ago, TheOakMonster said:

Our Beam-Suntory rep forwarded information regarding this product. Seems this product is launching as a barrel selection product ONLY, no regular release. MSRP $50. No mention of age, but the sell sheet does say the expected yield per rye barrel (35 6-pack cases) is higher than Knob Creek SB (around 24 6-pack cases). Even adjusting for the proof difference, that suggests Knob Creek Rye is significantly younger than the bourbon.

Well Knob Creek Rye has always been younger than the bourbon having an "age statement" of "Patiently Aged" I wouldn't have expected this to be any different. It always tasted older than Beam rye to me but there is a decent proof difference there as well so who knows how old it is other than over 4 years.  $50 seems a fair price to me based on the proof. Most ryes on the market have more of an implied age statement than an actual one. Hoping that even if this starts as only a store pick that eventually it is part of the regular line up. 

My guess is it's going to be at least 6, since this seems to be Beam's response to Pikesville. They even added 5 proof to throw down the gauntlet.

^^^ +1 to what Paul and Kevin said.  I'd even lay 3-1 odds that it'll eventually end up being a shelf standard within the next year or two...

On 10/17/2017 at 9:45 PM, Paddy said:

^^^ +1 to what Paul and Kevin said.  I'd even lay 3-1 odds that it'll eventually end up being a shelf standard within the next year or two...

If it is in the $40 to $45 range as KCSB bourbon is, then it will be a welcome addition.  It will be difficult to beat Pikesville though.

I have always liked KC Rye.  It can be a little rough sometimes but a worthy pour if the price is right.

Edited by mbroo5880i

^^^^I also enjoy KC rye. 

I think with the right age (and proof) on it it'll have a better than fair chance of being on par with Pikesville (my money's on it's gonna be better;)). 

Don't get me wrong, Pikesville is great...but, bourbon like great, while KC is a truly traditional rye.  I don't think for a minute that it'll sell for what the current KCSB is going for, but that's the only thing here I hope I'm wrong about!  :lol:   

For $50/bottle this will be a very nice addition to the private selection menu. If the KC rye and bourbon have similar aging conditions and evaporation, then 6 years should be about right for the age of these barrels, based on the case estimates OakMonster gave above.

This is one I really look forward to. KC Rye is funny for me because I often overlook (forget) it when I'm pouring a rye to sip, but when I do remember it, I'm always glad I did. Not an everyday favorite, but I think it provides a unique profile among the readily available ryes. I look forward to trying a barrel selection . . . some day.

• 5 weeks later...

This sounds great, I'd definitely pick up a bottle.  I love the fact that the distillieries are increasing SB and CS offerings.  The KC rye has been my go to for Manhattans for the last year or so.  Much improved from the Bulleit I was using previously.  

My group is signed up for a private pick of this in April. I'll report back after our pick.

Looking forward to it.

• I like it 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2018 at 10:55 AM, kevinbrink said:

Even better though I'm sure more expensive:

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=18015001000052

Posted this in the Premium/LE thread as well, SKU just tweeted this.

That does seem very interesting, but I'm sure it will be $120+.

20 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

That does seem very interesting, but I'm sure it will be $120+.

Much above the Pikesville price point would be surprising and disapointing, even for the recent "let's try (and fail) to double the price of Booker's" BeamSuntory mentality. But if it is $100 plus I am going to do my best to pass. At least until I can try it for myself. I have so far managed to pass on the Knob Creek 25th Anniversary so maybe I can actually do it with this one as well! :unsure:

Edited by tanstaafl2

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Much above the Pikesville price point would be surprising and disapointing, even for the recent "let's try (and fail) to double the price of Booker's" BeamSuntory mentality. But if it is $100 plus I am going to do my best to pass. At least until I can try it for myself. I have so far managed to pass on the Knob Creek 25th Anniversary so maybe I can actually do it with this one as well! :unsure:

They are marketing it on the label as a limited release, so given the KC 2001 and the KC 25th I'd be shocked if it was less than $100.

My friend Eric (Packages and More, Elizabethtown, KY) was at Beam this morning to do a KCPS selection.  He texted re the KC Rye PS that he had signed up to do a barrel selection (July) and that the retail price would be in the $40-45 range.  Expected barrel age is 8-9 years.  Oh yeah, the KCPS bourbon that he selected was 14 years old.  Folks, there are some amazing barrels coming out of KC right now.

• I like it 3

23 hours ago, Kyjd75 said:

My friend Eric (Packages and More, Elizabethtown, KY) was at Beam this morning to do a KCPS selection.  He texted re the KC Rye PS that he had signed up to do a barrel selection (July) and that the retail price would be in the $40-45 range.  Expected barrel age is 8-9 years.  Oh yeah, the KCPS bourbon that he selected was 14 years old.  Folks, there are some amazing barrels coming out of KC right now.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy. I'll take a case of both. Ace Spirits up in MN has had a few 13-14 year barrels of KCSB as well, which tend to sell out in a few days time. Good to see that they have a lot of barrels in this age range coming out.

Edited by EarthQuake

46 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

Oh boy oh boy oh boy. I'll take a case of both. Ace Spirits up in MN has had a few 13-14 year barrels of KCSB as well, which tend to sell out in a few days time. Good to see that they have a lot of barrels in this age range coming out.

I picked up two of Ace Spirits' KC selections a few months ago and they were pretty good. However, I was put off of their barrel selections a bit when they were asked for tasting notes on a couple of their new KC picks and they responded "the knob creek barrel's flavor doesn't vary so dramatically that they would require different tasting notes for each release". While I appreciate their candid response, it made me question their judgment (or at least their palates). What's the point of doing barrel selections if they all taste the same?

• I like it 1

On 1/22/2018 at 1:36 PM, Kyjd75 said:

Sweet. My group is doing a rye pick in April.

We did a bourbon pick back in November and it's going to come in at slightly older than 14 years.

Great stuff from KC indeed!

• I like it 1

On 1/23/2018 at 9:40 PM, Kpiz said:

What's the point of doing barrel selections if they all taste the same?

And, of course, they don't.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.